Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
What self-respecting Ukrainian speaks Russian these days other than to curse Putin?
Spin spin spin. So you want me to speed dial you in when my lady’s aunt is crying In Ukrainian on the phone with her sister because her sons are forced to stay and fight? Stfu and stay in your lane you lying piece of shit. Keep to being an internet troll but do not ever insinuate that you know what is going on in real life. I’d happily get at ticket to Philly and we can further this conversation in real life.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I grew up with my Grandma (from Ukraine/Czechoslovakia) living with us. As much as I think Kolosov and the Phantoms/Flyers both could have done better, people gotta understand there is a large cultural divide with players from Eastern Europe. Their outlook on life, teamwork, individualism, family - is just flat out different.

Right or wrong - where you are from changes your outlook on life
Warning: This nuanced and sophisticated understanding of cultural diversity is not welcome on this board. [Well done!]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Spin spin spin. So you want me to speed dial you in when my lady’s aunt is crying In Ukrainian on the phone with her sister because her sons are forced to stay and fight? Stfu and stay in your lane you lying piece of shit. Keep to being an internet troll but do not ever insinuate that you know what is going on in real life. I’d happily get at ticket to Philly and we can further this conversation in real life.
Shove it where the sun don't shine.
My grandfather was a Kulak, north of Odessa, who had to flee the Bolsheviks (seems he may have been involved in a little black market operations, common during 1917-20).

I grew up reading And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov

I've followed the war before it started, the best site is the Institute for the Study of War
which provides daily detailed updates.

I'm also writing a book on the World Oil Market, with a chapter on Russian oil, which has had me reading about Putin, Russia and the 2014 and current invasion b/c of their impact.

Ukraine is a more complex situation than presented in Western media.

Kiev was the ancient center of the Rus, who are loosely connected to the Russian nation that emerged after the Mongol conquest (though the Rus were as much Nordic as Slavs).

The Ukraine was generally part of the Russian empire, under Catherine the Great, after centuries of bouncing between various conquerors. Like many East European countries, boundaries are artificial. In this case, established after the fall of the Soviet Union. To make matters worse, there was substantial emigration of Russians into what is now considered Ukraine in the 19th and 20th centuries, the Donbas was primarily Russian speaking.

Stalin tried to destroy Ukrainian identity and killed millions with an engineered famine in the 1930s, which explains why many Ukrainians backed Hitler in WWII, better the devil you don't know.

Anne Applebaum, Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine.

The 2014 invasion of the Crimea was an example of overreach, the Crimea was vital to the Russian Black Sea fleet, but the best solution was something similar to Guantanamo Bay, a long-term lease that preserved Ukrainian sovereignty but giving Russia de facto control. However, as far as I know, this alternative was never broached by either side.

This is a brutal war b/c Putin may be going crazy, it makes no sense for the Russians, their scorched earth tactics means whatever land they conquer will have negative economic value for them. It doesn't make them more secure, in fact, the war drove Finland and Sweden into NATO, effectively blocking the Baltic sea and giving NATO a bigger arctic presence. And Russian power in the Black Sea has been diminished by a loss of a 1/3 of their fleet and the need to retreat a hundred miles away from Crimea

It is bleeding Russia dry, but so far Putin has been able to raise volunteers from ethnic impoverished Russians by huge (by Russian standards) bonuses, but at some point this strategy will no longer work and conscription will be required, which could sour Russian support for the war. The war has driven out a good number of educated, skilled Russians abroad, hurting the long-term prospects for the country. It is also forcing the Russians to be more dependent on China, the greatest long-term threat to Russian hegemony and Iran, who see the Russians as a long-term enemy (threatening their control over Syria and contesting their influence in the Caspian sea region).

It is a tragedy for the Ukraine, but Zelensky is in a bind, the Ukrainian people are still buying the concept that land, not people are the nation. In the end, Ukraine can only hope to trade land in the East for Russian blood until the Russians are exhausted, then rebuild the country west of Kiev. Kharkiv has no future being too close to the Russian border other than as a fortress city. But this probably cannot be stated publicly as their strategy, even if it becomes the reality on the ground.

You cannot negotiate with Putin, he will break any agreement when it is convenient for him.
You can only hope to exhaust Russia to the point that the Russian people start to feel the pain of the war and stop supporting it.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He’s not worth it my friend. Ignore him.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Shove it where the sun don't shine.
My grandfather was a Kulak, north of Odessa, who had to flee the Bolsheviks (seems he may have been involved in a little black market operations, common during 1917-20).

I grew up reading And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov

I've followed the war before it started, the best site is the Institute for the Study of War
which provides daily detailed updates.

I'm also writing a book on the World Oil Market, with a chapter on Russian oil, which has had me reading about Putin, Russia and the 2014 and current invasion b/c of their impact.

Ukraine is a more complex situation than presented in Western media.

Kiev was the ancient center of the Rus, who are loosely connected to the Russian nation that emerged after the Mongol conquest (though the Rus were as much Nordic as Slavs).

The Ukraine was generally part of the Russian empire, under Catherine the Great, after centuries of bouncing between various conquerors. Like many East European countries, boundaries are artificial. In this case, established after the fall of the Soviet Union. To make matters worse, there was substantial emigration of Russians into what is now considered Ukraine in the 19th and 20th centuries, the Donbas was primarily Russian speaking.

Stalin tried to destroy Ukrainian identity and killed millions with an engineered famine in the 1930s, which explains why many Ukrainians backed Hitler in WWII, better the devil you don't know.

Anne Applebaum, Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine.

The 2014 invasion of the Crimea was an example of overreach, the Crimea was vital to the Russian Black Sea fleet, but the best solution was something similar to Guantanamo Bay, a long-term lease that preserved Ukrainian sovereignty but giving Russia de facto control. However, as far as I know, this alternative was never broached by either side.

This is a brutal war b/c Putin may be going crazy, it makes no sense for the Russians, their scorched earth tactics means whatever land they conquer will have negative economic value for them. It doesn't make them more secure, in fact, the war drove Finland and Sweden into NATO, effectively blocking the Baltic sea and giving NATO a bigger arctic presence. And Russian power in the Black Sea has been diminished by a loss of a 1/3 of their fleet and the need to retreat a hundred miles away from Crimea

It is bleeding Russia dry, but so far Putin has been able to raise volunteers from ethnic impoverished Russians by huge (by Russian standards) bonuses, but at some point this strategy will no longer work and conscription will be required, which could sour Russian support for the war. The war has driven out a good number of educated, skilled Russians abroad, hurting the long-term prospects for the country. It is also forcing the Russians to be more dependent on China, the greatest long-term threat to Russian hegemony and Iran, who see the Russians as a long-term enemy (threatening their control over Syria and contesting their influence in the Caspian sea region).

It is a tragedy for the Ukraine, but Zelensky is in a bind, the Ukrainian people are still buying the concept that land, not people are the nation. In the end, Ukraine can only hope to trade land in the East for Russian blood until the Russians are exhausted, then rebuild the country west of Kiev. Kharkiv has no future being too close to the Russian border other than as a fortress city. But this probably cannot be stated publicly as their strategy, even if it becomes the reality on the ground.

You cannot negotiate with Putin, he will break any agreement when it is convenient for him.
You can only hope to exhaust Russia to the point that the Russian people start to feel the pain of the war and stop supporting it.
-Asked what self respecting Ukrainian would speak russian (ignoring the fact that the majority of the defenders of Ukraine speak it at a minimum as a 2nd language, if not primary). The Azov defenders in Mariupol almost exclusively speak russian (and know Ukrainian), does that mean they aren't self respecting Ukrainians?

-claims to be of Ukrainian descent, uses the russian transliteration of city names and "The Ukraine".

-claims Kyivan Rus is connected to the russian state, meanwhile the language used in Kyivan Rus is much closer to Ukrainian than russian (Old Church Slavonic is much closer to Ruthenian than russian, and Ukrainian much closer Ruthenian or Old Church Slavonic than russian) , and the capital of Kyivan Rus is the current capital of Ukraine

-states the invasion is more complex than western media states (common russian propaganda line)

-states many Ukrainians sided with hitler (while in actuality many times more fought and died in the red army fighting against hitler, again another russian propaganda line in up-playing the Ukrainians who fought on the side of hitler and lumping any anti-soviet Ukrainians in with nazis)

Really fits with the pseudo intellectual Westerner who know literally nothing about the country or war (given your opinions on the flyers the lack of knowledge was a given however)

Reactions: FromChaos22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad