OT: Anything Goes 41

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Well, was supposed to be in Chicago for PJ but United f***ed me today and my flight was cancelled at 6am. Wtf?! So tried to move to other flights and no dice….all full. So, $1200 in tickets going to waste. Never again will I go to a show that requires a flight. Ever. Burned for the last time.
So pissed I couldn’t go also — applying for more grad school bullshit

Not sure why it cancelled but what a broken f***ing industry. My family has worked at ohare for a couple generations now in commercial airlines corporate management as well as pilots and beyond that engineering the damn things for Boeing. Everything’s wrong with this system. The airlines don’t serve to consumers for travel and the experience of flying for some time now — they make more money off of selling f***ing credit cards than airfare and that’s kind of heartbreaking in a way as the CEO’s are former CFO’s. The flight routes are optimized for their benefit and efficiency, but still they continue operating in the spirit of price gouging(rather than making similar figures serving quantity).

f*** them, especially considering their recent bailout which despite agreeing otherwise led to the firing of the employees that spent their entire lives there building up the companies

Nationalize the f***ing industry like we did railways if taxpayers are going to end up paying for it anyways. Americans should be able to travel their own country at a fair price and by reliable means. I know the most part business communications have gone online but I would imagine there is some strong economic benefit from businesses and individual citizens being able to travel freely as well

Reactions: Putt Pirate

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Well, was supposed to be in Chicago for PJ but United f***ed me today and my flight was cancelled at 6am. Wtf?! So tried to move to other flights and no dice….all full. So, $1200 in tickets going to waste. Never again will I go to a show that requires a flight. Ever. Burned for the last time.
Did you book with a credit card? Often travel insurance will cover this.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Read this interesting article today. I’m still very much a rookie in the field but have felt for years that for reasons like what’s laid out in the article, this A.I. doom is going to end up being entirely overblown.

Long story short, artificial intelligence essentially trains itself by scanning the Internet with insanely high processing power. Wrench in the gears though…an estimated 57% of content on the Internet currently is made by AI and that number could get to as high as 90+% by next year. So the AI training models are using AI-generated content to train themselves which leads to successively worse and worse data to train on. Without accurate (human) data points the AI will be less and less useful to us, collapsing on itself.

Reactions: Crow

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Did you book with a credit card? Often travel insurance will cover this.
I booked with cc and they did credit my card back for flight. Out one day if hotel though as it was too late to cancel.

I told the little lady when I retire I am just driving. Flying is so not fun anymore. I have to put up with it for work trips not really interested in losing more vaca days to their shenanigans

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I booked with cc and they did credit my card back for flight. Out one day if hotel though as it was too late to cancel.

I told the little lady when I retire I am just driving. Flying is so not fun anymore. I have to put up with it for work trips not really interested in losing more vaca days to their shenanigans
I just drove

Vermont - Baltimore - Atlanta - Destin - Orlando - Louisville - Indianapolis - Vermont

Couldn't have been a better trip.

After going Vermont - Toronto - Northern Michigan - Cleveland - Vermont last month prior.

I love driving.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I just drove

Vermont - Baltimore - Atlanta - Destin - Orlando - Louisville - Indianapolis - Vermont

Couldn't have been a better trip.

After going Vermont - Toronto - Northern Michigan - Cleveland - Vermont last month prior.

I love driving.
Long driving trips became exponentially better with the advent of satellite radio.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Long driving trips became exponentially better with the advent of satellite radio.
image4.jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg

& I can stop and play a lot of golf in random places.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

Read this interesting article today. I’m still very much a rookie in the field but have felt for years that for reasons like what’s laid out in the article, this A.I. doom is going to end up being entirely overblown.

Long story short, artificial intelligence essentially trains itself by scanning the Internet with insanely high processing power. Wrench in the gears though…an estimated 57% of content on the Internet currently is made by AI and that number could get to as high as 90+% by next year. So the AI training models are using AI-generated content to train themselves which leads to successively worse and worse data to train on. Without accurate (human) data points the AI will be less and less useful to us, collapsing on itself.
it's worse than you think. not only is it a problem of running out of training data, there's also the problem of powering the computers these things train on. here's a really good article you'd find interesting:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
:( it’s video of people at a railyard using a forklift, dropping steel onto a car but missing, and derailing the car
It's weird your link doesn't work but it does in my quote. And I don't know what kind of tier 3 contractor yard that's out of but unless that's them fixing a derailment there's no way anybody is loading a flat car with a f***ing forklift. Like I want to say that's a railyard out of Mexico.

Reactions: Pez68 and TLEH

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Looking further after I've been awake for more than five minutes that's three forklifts working in unison to load a flat car with a load of steel holy hell I've seen some shit but that's insane.

• Haha
Reactions: TLEH

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
it's worse than you think. not only is it a problem of running out of training data, there's also the problem of powering the computers these things train on. here's a really good article you'd find interesting:
Fantastic read. Being reading it in pieces all day today. Thank you!

Even Goldman Sachs, when describing the efficiency benefits of AI, added that while it was able to create an AI that updated historical data in its company models more quickly than doing so manually, it cost six times as much to do so.

I could've quoted a dozen more paragraphs from that blog post (especially regarding power-consumption) but even as someone entering the field, it's SO REFRESHING to hear some common-sense reality on this topic. Sam Altman can go sit on a broomstick, that guy is a charlatan through and through. This industry is fraught with people like him making these billion dollar claims about changing the world, also while being 110% opposed to any sort of regulation on the matter.

To add fuel to the fire, you have this pop-culture mantra online that AI is going to take over the world, take away all of our jobs, make us obsolete, and destroy the planet at some point in the not too distant future. This is all just fear and hype, playing off each other generating billions in investments for these tech firms. It's really quite despicable.

I look forward to the useful aspects of AI, especially in software engineering going forward, really I do. But this notion you can just throw compute-power into these giant processors and by plugging an AI into the internet you're going to change the world...it's all completely absurd.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’ll bet Goldman is short AI because it’s overvalued. I still think it’s extremely useful and use it everyday. Doesn’t mean it’s revolutionary though.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’ll bet Goldman is short AI because it’s overvalued. I still think it’s extremely useful and use it everyday. Doesn’t mean it’s revolutionary though.
There are many types of AI. They were speaking of Generative AI, which is what ChatGPT uses. It’s the “communicative” AI that people are hyping up that will replace human tasks like customer service, graphic design, coding, etc…where it gets a prompt and then rapidly does high amount of computations to generate the most accurate answer based on probability.

Artificial Intelligence has a ton of awesome potential and has been very useful in other applications.

Crow

May 19, 2014
There are many types of AI. They were speaking of Generative AI, which is what ChatGPT uses. It’s the “communicative” AI that people are hyping up that will replace human tasks like customer service, graphic design, coding, etc…where it gets a prompt and then rapidly does high amount of computations to generate the most accurate answer based on probability.

Artificial Intelligence has a ton of awesome potential and has been very useful in other applications.
After reading those articles and this post I’m a bit confused. They made it sound like it is very improbable that AI in general should be hyped up to replace human tasks.

What is it about the other types of AI like this communicative type that make it different from what was discussed? Does it learn differently or use less power? Those appear to be the two major issues with generative AI.

I ask because I’ve just started studying a bit about software engineering and AI and I don’t want to invest my time in a dead end.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
After reading those articles and this post I’m a bit confused. They made it sound like it is very improbable that AI in general should be hyped up to replace human tasks.

What is it about the other types of AI like this communicative type that make it different from what was discussed? Does it learn differently or use less power? Those appear to be the two major issues with generative AI.

I ask because I’ve just started studying a bit about software engineering and AI and I don’t want to invest my time in a dead end.
I don't think it's a dead end whatsoever. Software engineering and AI are here to stay. I'm not a professional in the field yet so take this for what it's worth obviously.

The main issue with it laid out in that blog post was that it's not actually as useful as firms and figure-heads are claiming. The notion that you'd no longer need to hire a human being to design a brand logo, write for a newspaper, take orders at McDonald's, write music, etc...is being oversold so people invest in these companies.

1) It is still not as effective as a human being in many of these creativity-based tasks
2) It still requires human-supervision due to high failure rate
3) It uses a TON of energy

"Regular" AI has similar energy issues and trains similarly to the generative kind but the end result is actually extremely useful in thousands and thousands of cases. Organizing millions of data points, finding trends and patterns to be more efficient, or performing a high number of calculations extremely quickly are all very tangibly beneficial capabilities. This sort of technology isn't going anywhere and if you're considering entering the field I would absolutely do it.

Reactions: Crow

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

this also reminds me of a book i haven't read but i saw an interview with the author. it's called "artificial communication" by elena espositio, and in it she argues that calling it generative artificial intelligence is a misnomer, and it would be more accurate to call it artificial communication. like i said i haven't read it, so i can't gauge the strength of her thesis or her supporting arguments, but food for thought i guess.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Congrats man!

My wife and I are having a boy in about 3 weeks. Our first. Is she your first as well?
Had my gender reveal today I’m having a baby girl. I feel bad for the constant questions why she’s a Blackhawks fan living in Pittsburgh in the future. Had my fair share of it. You can thank Patrick Kane for that.
Congrats to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad