Anyone ever been a hockey billet family? Any advice?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so my family has hosted students (non-hockey) for several years. They've mostly been 16 year-olds, grade 11 from overseas (Spain, Germany, Japan).

I have a meeting shortly about being a billet family for a Junior A hockey player (Don't want to get into league/team just to preserve any future kid's privacy).

Anyone ever done this before? Any advice/suggestions/questions to ask?

My one concern is that although we're not doing it to make money, it's might be a lot of "but you can get free tickets!" in terms of covering costs. Secondly though - having a presumably 18+ hockey player I don't know to what extent we can ensure a certain base level of house rules, compared to a 16 year old European. Things like no obvious drinking/parties/girls.

I'm also slightly worried about even more stinky hockey gear in my basement, but since we already have 3 hockey players in the house (albeit not at that level) I'm sure we can manage.

p.s. I typed this out, forgot to his "post", had the meeting. Sounds promising, but still interested in any feedback.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
A couple acquaintances of mine were billet hosts for the Winnipeg ICE. They had nothing but good things to say about the experience. The players they hosted really bonded with the families.

Based on what I heard from them, I wanted to do it but I never took that step given that my house is not really set up for it. I have used the basement bedroom as an office since the pandemic, and I do not have a bathroom in the basement (the only full bathrooms in my house are upstairs, next to my/my kids' bedrooms). One of the acquaintances told me not to worry, that most of the players were not living in luxury, but it just seemed like an awkward fit. Had being a billet host crossed my mind when we bought our current house in 2017, I would have definitely looked for a house that was a bit better equipped for it - at the time I didn't want a house with a basement that would be too inviting for my mother in law, haha.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I'm nowhere near Florida, but good luck in finding the billet.

We're actually set to be a billet family here in Edmonton for a Junior A team this winter - looking forward to the experience. I just finished getting the spare room all cleaned up tonight.

It looks like you decided to become a billet host... I'm curious, what ultimately made you pull the trigger and open up your home?

Keep us posted as to how your experience this season goes!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It looks like you decided to become a billet host... I'm curious, what ultimately made you pull the trigger and open up your home?

Keep us posted as to how your experience this season goes!

So the most obvious reason - we've been hosting international students for the past 5 years or so. We have a bedroom and bathroom already set up. We were informed however that the local highschool was too full this coming year so they wouldn't be taking any international students.

So this isn't a huge change for us. We've found the international students to be a welcome addition to our home.

So the only new thing is this person will probably not be in high school, so a little bit older, and of course is a hockey player. We're pretty much a hockey family, so this is not some massive change for us.

Biggest thing is I'm told this person will have a vehicle - which is good so less driving them around, but will be more congested in the driveway with three vehicles.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
My family has billeted Junior players for the last ten years, its been great the entire time. Since my playing days the billet kids have changed drastically, they are much more family oriented, don't really party or have any bad vices or cause problems. Most who make it to Junior A now come from have families and are focused to try and do something with the sport. We've had nothing but good experiences (except when they get traded kids get emotional) but otherwise its been amazing.

Basically for us, we make sure there is food readily available, they fend for themselves for breakfast and lunch as we are at work, then supper we do as a family unless its a game day.

Your concerns: Partying: set the rules, we don't allow parties at our house. But most players are more focused on their future that they rarely do party.

Stinky gear: Once the team is made, every Junior A team I know has their own dressing room so gear rarely if ever comes home. During camp its August and the hockey gear can air out on the deck.

Vehicle wise: We've had ones with a vehicle and ones without, team usually tells the players they are responsible for getting to the rink, catch a ride with a teammate, walk, bike, but billets are never required to provide transportation or lend out vehicles.

My main advice is to write out the ground rules ahead of time, I have a rule that I will not lie for a curfew check, no partying or random girls over (girlfriends long term are allowed), once the kids are in bed its quiet time in the house and clean up after yourself as we arent their maids.

I'd say go for it, explain to the billet coordinator that you are hoping for a kid that fits for your family, set the rules off the bat and don't waiver, enjoy the times your kids and family will have,

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
My family has billeted Junior players for the last ten years, its been great the entire time. Since my playing days the billet kids have changed drastically, they are much more family oriented, don't really party or have any bad vices or cause problems. Most who make it to Junior A now come from have families and are focused to try and do something with the sport. We've had nothing but good experiences (except when they get traded kids get emotional) but otherwise its been amazing.

To add to my earlier post about the ICE billets I talked to, your comment is consistent with that... the billet hosts I spoke with said that their billet players were intensely disciplined and focused, very early-to-bed and early-to-rise, clean living types. No issues whatsoever on that front, which is I guess to be expected when you are dealing with people near the top of the hockey food chain.

I realize that not all players are going to be exactly that way but on the whole it sounds like a far cry from the hard-partying days of the 80s.

In some ways I think I'd be feeling some pressure to up my game on the cooking front to make sure the meals meet the dietary needs of the players. No more chicken fingers and fries in the air fryer on those nights when you don't have the time or inclination to cook :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Don't get the whole appeal of wanting some 18 year old kid in your house and taking away all your privacy. I guess they must pay pretty well...?

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A good friend whose daughter played on my daughter's prep team billeted a player from out of province.

They had to send her home halfway through her second (grade 11) season

Lying about where she was/what she was doing/who she was with, drinking, weed, sneaking boys into the house, etc...

They're one of the nicest families I know and it was a huge stressor for them

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Don't get the whole appeal of wanting some 18 year old kid in your house and taking away all your privacy. I guess they must pay pretty well...?
We do it as my wife and I were both billeted when we played hockey, I very much appreciated it and had fond memories of the good billets and horrible memories of the bad ones only in it for money.

We lose money on it in the long run but my kids love it and like I said it is kind of a payback because we can

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

OK, so my player is 19, they definitely don't pay well - this is not a money making exercise,

(Like really - as I mentioned we've had international students in grade 11 (so 16 years old) the past few years, and the Junior A team pays noticeably less than they did).

So look - I'm a Winnipeg Jets fan, living in Edmonton. Several years ago I took my kid to a Jets v oilers pre-season game (you can get pre-season tix super cheap). We got there early, walked around the concourse, and I saw Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff standing there. At first I gave him his privacy, but as my kid walked around again and I saw saw Chevy again I couldn't resist but go up and say "hi". I didn't take up much of his time but he said he was there to visit his former billet family from back in the day.

So as I said we've had former international students. We still keep in touch with most of them. They lived with us for an entire school year, they become almost part of the family. I have my own kids who I love dearly - but I also have this whole other group of "my" kids around the world.

I spoke with our player just the other day. He gets here next week. I want to protect his privacy so I'll try to save any personal details. He seems like a really nice kid over the phone. I'll agree that him being a 19 year old hockey player (and not a 16 year old girl from overseas) is going to be an adjustment for us. We're willing to not just give him a room to stay, but welcome him into our family for the year. If he's willing to accept us on that basis though I think it'll be a great year.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
OK, so my player is 19, they definitely don't pay well - this is not a money making exercise,

(Like really - as I mentioned we've had international students in grade 11 (so 16 years old) the past few years, and the Junior A team pays noticeably less than they did).

So look - I'm a Winnipeg Jets fan, living in Edmonton. Several years ago I took my kid to a Jets v oilers pre-season game (you can get pre-season tix super cheap). We got there early, walked around the concourse, and I saw Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff standing there. At first I gave him his privacy, but as my kid walked around again and I saw saw Chevy again I couldn't resist but go up and say "hi". I didn't take up much of his time but he said he was there to visit his former billet family from back in the day.

So as I said we've had former international students. We still keep in touch with most of them. They lived with us for an entire school year, they become almost part of the family. I have my own kids who I love dearly - but I also have this whole other group of "my" kids around the world.

I spoke with our player just the other day. He gets here next week. I want to protect his privacy so I'll try to save any personal details. He seems like a really nice kid over the phone. I'll agree that him being a 19 year old hockey player (and not a 16 year old girl from overseas) is going to be an adjustment for us. We're willing to not just give him a room to stay, but welcome him into our family for the year. If he's willing to accept us on that basis though I think it'll be a great year.
Great attitude to have, like I said we’ve billeted hockey players for nearly 10 years. Haven’t had any bad experiences, kids have changed a lot since I played in the late 90’s. We used to drink a lot, gamble, skip curfew and rarely did much with the kids….i regret that but it was kind of the times….at 18 I was much more independent then the kids are now.

Now kids are so focused on making something of hockey that they eat healthy, rarely drink, some use weed but we have a rule of no smoking in the house. Most are very family oriented and love hanging out with the family.

It’s not for everyone….but it’s a little thing we can do to give back to the sport as we went through it as well.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it’s going!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad