Anybody else not really excited about this season?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm excited for Flyers hockey and hockey in general, but not as much in years past.

I contemplated getting an 11-game plan and DID purchase tickets for each home preseason game to watch the kids...they were only up for 1.5 out of the 3 of them :laugh: and I told the Flyers rep I spoke to that I'd probably get an 11-gamer next season when (IMO) all the kids are up. He understood and didn't press the issue...poor sales

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
it's flyers hockey, so regardless of how bad they are im always going to be excited and probably watch every single game even when it infuriates me...

that said, im expecting essentially more of the same. I think the team may be better, but i see another top 10 pick coming... which im kind of hoping for (barring the ability to make the playoffs of course). There's a good amount of talent on the wing in the top end of this draft, so i think it will do wonders for this team moving forward.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I may go to an afternoon game in 2016 if they're fun to watch. Going to night games is too much of a hassle with all the *******s on 95.

The Arizona game on 2/27 should be cheap might be the best chance to extend my 2-0 record. Or maybe Grossmann will score the winning goal just to spite me.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?

Tweek2378

Sep 19, 2015
NJ
I'm always excited, hockey is hockey for me but I get everyone's points. I'm also excited getting one year closer to getting some of the young guys up here and hopefully some of the dead weight moved out. :yo:

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm always excited. Despite my lower expectation, my excitement level doesn't decrease.

I think for me it's the "unknown" component of it all. I'm not expecting the playoffs, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm sure Flames and Senators fans were all in the same boat before the beginning of the season, and look where that got them. This doesn't mean the Flyers will exceed expectations, but it's the possibility that keeps me engaged.

Plus, it's always a great feeling in the brunt of winter when be weather is terrible and people are in their post-holidays mood knowing after a day of work you can go home and turn the game on.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I'm glad it's hockey season but I'm also not too excited for this team. I've felt the same way for a few years now. We're sort of in a holding pattern until we can get away from bad contracts while waiting for young defensemen to develop. I'll be interested to see what Laughton can do, but otherwise I'm pretty much expecting more of the same from the other guys.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have never been as bored watching the Flyers as I was last year.

Same here.....it was tough to stomach that "effort" last season. I can't recall being so meh.....but that brand of hockey was just sooo boring to watch.

I can stomach losing if I see effort and development but NOT when I see stupidity, lack of energy and regression by some players.

So many games last year I had the Flyers on as background noise while I did other things like learn knitting.....

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Same here.....it was tough to stomach that "effort" last season. I can't recall being so meh.....but that brand of hockey was just sooo boring to watch.

I can stomach losing if I see effort and development but NOT when I see stupidity, lack of energy and regression by some players.

So many games last year I had the Flyers on as background noise while I did other things like learn knitting.....

Yeh.

I think I enjoyed the STMNBN more... at least the hockey was more exciting even though they sucked more.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If Giroux or Voracek goes down, RIP 2015-2016 Flyers.
That's my biggest fear. The lack of scoring depth is so glaring once again this year.

If any teams top 2 players go down, RIP to their season. No difference here...

Datsyuk missed 19 games.
Kane missed 21 games.
Giordano missed 21.
Okposo missed 22.
Shattenkirk missed 26 games.
Lundqvist missed close to half of the season.

Thats 6 of the 16 playoff teams that lost one of their top 2 players for a significant amount of time and still made the playoffs. I can't imagine any scenario where Giroux or Voracek goes down for 19+ games and they still make the playoffs.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Datsyuk missed 19 games.
Kane missed 21 games.
Giordano missed 21.
Okposo missed 22.
Shattenkirk missed 26 games.
Lundqvist missed close to half of the season.

Thats 6 of the 16 playoff teams that lost one of their top 2 players for a significant amount of time and still made the playoffs. I can't imagine any scenario where Giroux or Voracek goes down for 19+ games and they still make the playoffs.
Well, he said two players. And Shattenkirk is a stretch anyway.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I think they will be slightly better than most people realize for the following reasons:

- Hakstol will get more consistency out of this group. I think we will see less of the one great performance followed by 2 awful performances. Also, they were an awful road team last season. If they improve marginally on the road they can get a few more W's under the belt.

- Coots. I think expectations are that he makes a gradual offensive jump. I look at it differently. He has been in the league for 4 full seasons already. Assuming he has the offensive skillset we expected out of the draft, why can't he make the jump from say 40 pts to 60-70 pts? And if he does, imagine the trickle down impact it may bring to this team? Now you are talking about 2 legitimate scoring lines which may just cover up for a lot of defensive deficiencies.

- Mason. Everything about his game these past 2 seasons screams of arrow trending up. Yes the D is an utter dumpster and will likely keep him from ever being mentioned in the elite category. I expect his game to be even better this season. And as the youth movement slowly creeps in this season, what's not to say he that SV% doesn't translate into a few more W's as well.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I'll be watching, which is better than what I did during MLB season. Dont know if i'll be expecting much though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll be honest, this is probably the least excited I am for a season in a long time. I've been watching the Flyers since the late 90's and this team is just...meh.

This is a transition year. So we can expect them to probably battle for the last playoff spot but ultimately end up falling short. Just a mediocre year that ends with a mediocre draft pick.

I'm excited to watch Giroux, Voracek, Mason, Simmonds, and Couturier specifically. But the defense is an absolute dumpster fire.

For the time being, since I live so close to the PPL center, I'll be trying to watch/attend as many games as possible before I potentially move. I am extremely excited to watch the young guns in Allentown this season.

Anybody else in the same boat? I'll definitely watch all the games that I can, but I'm just pretty detached from this upcoming season. :dunno:

I was less excited before last season because we had no rookies cracking the lineup, Berube behind the bench, Grossmann still on D and Emery still backing up Mason.

I'm definitely more excited for this team but I don't think they'll have a good first half, like usual.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think they will be slightly better than most people realize for the following reasons:

- Hakstol will get more consistency out of this group. I think we will see less of the one great performance followed by 2 awful performances. Also, they were an awful road team last season. If they improve marginally on the road they can get a few more W's under the belt.

- Coots. I think expectations are that he makes a gradual offensive jump. I look at it differently. He has been in the league for 4 full seasons already. Assuming he has the offensive skillset we expected out of the draft, why can't he make the jump from say 40 pts to 60-70 pts? And if he does, imagine the trickle down impact it may bring to this team? Now you are talking about 2 legitimate scoring lines which may just cover up for a lot of defensive deficiencies.

- Mason. Everything about his game these past 2 seasons screams of arrow trending up. Yes the D is an utter dumpster and will likely keep him from ever being mentioned in the elite category. I expect his game to be even better this season. And as the youth movement slowly creeps in this season, what's not to say he that SV% doesn't translate into a few more W's as well.

That is incredibly optimistic. Giroux had 76 points last season.

I'm hoping for 50 from Coots this season, which is right in line with what good 2nd line center are producing.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is incredibly optimistic. Giroux had 76 points last season.

I'm hoping for 50 from Coots this season, which is right in line with what good 2nd line center are producing.

Yeh, if Couts can get 50 points, combined with his D, he is arguably top 5 in the NHL in terms of 2C's.

I mean... the 30th most productive C in the NHL last season in terms on PPG (60+ games) was on ~0.65 PPG... which is 53 points over 82 games.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If coots gets 50 with out playing with g or v , and not being on first unit pp then it will seriously be time for hexy to start planning for the future because we will be legit contenders. Having G and coots as top 30 centers in the league will be huge for us plus when u factor in coots d it takes it to a new level.

However I just want to point out a couple of things. I have not seen coots doing any pk this preseason , and i have not seen him be apart of of any of the pk pairings. I wonder what that is all about. im actually in favor of it for a couple of reasons.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Same. Last year I was pretty "meh" but the new coach seems to be bringing and uptempo game and a culture change into the fold.

I'm excited for this year.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I'm excited in a different way. Since there are no expectations, any decent result from this season will be a pleasant surprise.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm pretty excited, mostly to see how the forwards gel.

The defense looks like a dumpster fire, but hopefully guys like Medvedev and eventually Ghost help the transition game going.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Well, he said two players. And Shattenkirk is a stretch anyway.

Yes, but he was responding to a post that said "If Giroux or Voracek goes down, RIP 2015-2016 Flyers". Obviously if a team loses their two best players, it would be very difficult to compete but the post he responded to was in reference to either Giroux OR Voracek.

And as far as Shattenkirk goes, I don't think it's a stretch at all to call him one of the top 2 players on his team. The only other possibility would be Pietrangelo but Shattenkirk, at least last season was clearly the better player. He was on pace for 64 points which would have put him second behind Karlsson's 66. He would have been a legit Norris contender.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I'm pumped for the season. Biggest thing with the flyers is there are so
Many what ifs and possibilities. Will schenn break out? What will medvedev turn out to be? Will coots elevate on offense? Can jake build from last year? New coach! Will read and umberger bounce back?

But most of all. Winter classic is in my neck of the woods so can't wait to attend in person!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad