Value of: Any Top 2-4 Dman gonna get surprisingly traded? Ala Hronek

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I wonder if there are names out there we dont talk about but is quietly being shopped or would be moved for the right price. Whether its due to contract reasons or age not fitting in with a re-build plan.

I'm thinking along the lines of how Hronek was traded last year because Deotroit didnt want to pay him his new contract after RFA and they had younger prospects ready to take over.

Any surprise Dmen out there that can be available?

Werenski is someone that pops in my head but thats a tough contract.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't know if he qualifies as a surprise, but Mario Ferraro in San Jose is garnering some interest. He's not remotely a #1 like he's being asked to be in SJ, but he's a solid top four guy that would look a lot better on a deeper/better team.

Thats a good pull. Not sure Sharks will move him though. Fits age range of their rebuild and doesnt cost them much salary wise.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Likelies: Hanifin, Tanev, Gostisbehere,

Possibles: Schultz, Faulk, Pesce, Jensen, Chychrun

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Sometimes I wonder if Matheson might be poached from Montreal. It would leave behind a very green blueline, but still, if a team sees him as adding a critical dimension to a winning team and offer up something of interest, who knows.

I'm keeping in mind that until the 2022 draft, most Habs fans thought Montreal had 3 untouchables - Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov (who got moved on the draft floor in the series of deals that fetched Dach). Management saw that Romanov was going to be made redundant by Guhle and other young D, so I figure it's possible their thought process works the same this time, with young LD like Struble showing they are ready for the NHL, making Matheson tradeable.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if Matheson might be poached from Montreal. It would leave behind a very green blueline, but still, if a team sees him as adding a critical dimension to a winning team and offer up something of interest, who knows.

I'm keeping in mind that until the 2022 draft, most Habs fans thought Montreal had 3 untouchables - Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov (who got moved on the draft floor in the series of deals that fetched Dach). Management saw that Romanov was going to be made redundant by Guhle and other young D, so I figure it's possible their thought process works the same this time, with young LD like Struble showing they are ready for the NHL, making Matheson tradeable.
I don't see Matheson being moved. He has a M-NTC, is a local, loves the team, and ATM there's no one on the blue line who can replace the offence he provides

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't see Matheson being moved. He has a M-NTC, is a local, loves the team, and ATM there's no one on the blue line who can replace the offence he provides
And yet, he's on the TSN top-20 trade bait list.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just that it's conceivable, and would be less of a shock than seeing Romanov shipped out at the 2022 draft. If a player of the Dach/Newhook type is available, I could see Kent Hughes going for it, to add a quality forward, from a position of strength.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

lol. Matheson is awful. Has one of the worst (most negative) expected goals for vs against in the NHL.

And yet, he's on the TSN top-20 trade bait list.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just that it's conceivable, and would be less of a shock than seeing Romanov shipped out at the 2022 draft. If a player of the Dach/Newhook type is available, I could see Kent Hughes going for it, to add a quality forward, from a position of strength.
Oh my… you think Matheson would fetch a Dach level prospect? It’s possible, assuming Dach is also included with Matheson to acquire a different Dach level prospect.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Hronek really does want over $8 million, maybe it’ll be him again…

All kidding aside…

Chabot is the one that would probably floor a lot of people….. but with a new regime taking over, and there are people (out there) who think they’ll never win with him playing such a big role…. Stranger things have happened.

Add in, Sanderson looking like the next 10+ years are his to lead that blue line, I don’t think it would surprise everyone, but certainly most people.

IMO, it would be the Ottawa of all Ottawa moves over the years, especially where it’s showing how much they miss him this year, but there will be people who think they have too much money on that blue line, they can spend in other places. Specifically Pinto and Greig over the next couple of years. That $8 million, plus what they can get in return, may tempt someone wanting to put his own statement on this team.

Maddogy

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if there are names out there we dont talk about but is quietly being shopped or would be moved for the right price. Whether its due to contract reasons or age not fitting in with a re-build plan.

I'm thinking along the lines of how Hronek was traded last year because Deotroit didnt want to pay him his new contract after RFA and they had younger prospects ready to take over.

According to Frank Seravalli, Hronek was NEVER shopped around the league. It was an exclusive offer given to Jim Rutherford by Yzerman. We have known for years that relationships matter a lot in the NHL. This is why often times fans wonder about why the selling teams could not have received more for their assets in trades. This is also why some teams have repeatedly made trades with each other over the years. They have good working relationships.

The type of D you are thinking of would likely turn out to be surprise deals without advance reporting from the media.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I don’t think one exists.

i get Detroit moving him due to their prospect line and dealing with having to resign him.

many teams have 3 yr or less players they coukd look at moving due to depth/ drsfted prospects.
remember..a 25 yr old was drafted 7 yrs before. Gm/ coach/ system changes occurred and thry drsfted high picking players in his position

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I dunno if he's considered a top guy based on his huge season last year, but Montour might get moved if Florida is on the outside looking in at the trade deadline. With all the guys they have to sign he may be the odd one out to try and recoup some lost draft capital.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I dunno if he's considered a top guy based on his huge season last year, but Montour might get moved if Florida is on the outside looking in at the trade deadline. With all the guys they have to sign he may be the odd one out to try and recoup some lost draft capital.
Unless he wants 6 mill for an extreme outlier I can see him staying with the cats.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Unless he wants 6 mill for an extreme outlier I can see him staying with the cats.
He plays pretty well there. If I'm his agent though and just saw someone pay 4m+ for garbage klingberg while simultaneously being (arguably) the best rhd Ufa option this year, Id be giddy. If he's happy in fla, I can see a 1-1.5m raise, if he chases the bag he might get 2-2.5m raise.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
From Buffalo, Jokiharju is 4th in ES minutes and is playing like a legitmate #4 Dman with some upside left. That said, his chemistry with Dahlin and Power is a bit questionable at times.

I could see Joker being traded for a guy that's a big more defensive and would make a better pair with Power or Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad