Any Predictions for the Top 8 Teams in Eastern & Western Conferences?

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
With their goalie situation for at least 3 more months? lol, nope.

Who leapfrogs them?? Anaheim could, but they look awful so far and have very little depth. I think Edmonton finally makes the playoffs as well. I don't trust their team defense and goalie situation enough to put the in a top 3 spot in the division. I agree that LA is not the same team they once were, and they are missing quick for a good chunk of the season, but who's knocking them out in that division?

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Who leapfrogs them?? Anaheim could, but they look awful so far and have very little depth. I think Edmonton finally makes the playoffs as well. I don't trust their team defense and goalie situation enough to put the in a top 3 spot in the division. I agree that LA is not the same team they once were, and they are missing quick for a good chunk of the season, but who's knocking them out in that division?

The best team in the league right now...

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Atlantic:

Florida
Tampa
Montreal
Boston(WC)

Metro:

Washington
Pittsburgh
New York Islanders
Philadelphia(WC)

Central:

St.Louis
Dallas
Nashville
Chicago(WC)
Winnipeg(WC)

Pacific:

San Jose
Edmonton
Calgary

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Honestly outside of tb, Pitt nd Washington I don't think most other teams can survive long term (6 week) injuries to the top of their roster.

LA needs to figure out how to cope without quick.

As for who can knock them out? Well, if we are talking about the top 3 in the division, I still see the ducks and sharks in the playoffs. Coyotes, no they are too young. Canucks, don't see the he depth, but if they get lucky with health they can be right there. Edmonton, same as Vancouver. Not much depth to cover for top end loses. Favourable schedule to start, so hard to figure out if they are really much better on the back end.
Calgary cant figure out how to play defense.

But, la has to keep pace until quick returns. If they are 8 points or so out when he gets back, that is hard to overcome.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Playoffs? Sure. Top 3 in the Conference? lolol :help: :popcorn:

Not sure why it's so funny ? The Habs finished 2nd in the East 2 years ago , 4th in the East 3 years ago and 2nd the East 4 years ago.

Last year they sucked but they also lost Price early and had a bunch of injuries to guys like Gallagher and many guys on D

This year they have an improved crops of forwards with the addition of Radulov , a solid prospect in Lekhonen , a solid 4th line and an healthy Price.

Barring any major injury spree 3rd in the East may not be as far fetched as you think

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Playoffs? Sure. Top 3 in the Conference? lolol :help: :popcorn:

Last season -No Price-No playoffs.
Season before with Price Top 2 in the whole league.

Now Price back.Top 3 in the conference is a pretty good possibility.

Non -Hab bias fans just don't want to admit it even though they know it's true.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Last season -No Price-No playoffs.
Season before with Price Top 2 in the whole league.

Now Price back.Top 3 in the conference is a pretty good possibility.

Non -Hab bias fans just don't want to admit it even though they know it's true.

He's mad because the OP didn't put the Flyers in the top8.

Outside of last year MTL have been a top4 team in the conference 3 years in a row and were going to be again last year until Price Gallagher and Petry got injured at the same time for over 20 games+.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Oilers will be in the playoffs. They will not be in the wild card spot. They will be first or second in the pacific.

They will be in the playoff I agree with that statement but they stand no chance to be 1st in the pacific..... The pacific hold IMO the best team in the NHL and no its not the Oilers.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the Rangers are better this year than last. Though that team got helped by a somewhat fluky scorching hot first 20 games. I'll be surprised if barring injuries they aren't at least a Wild Card team. They look to be a very good possession team this season. Something we haven't had since 13-14. I also think we'll make some trade for a RD.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Honestly outside of tb, Pitt nd Washington I don't think most other teams can survive long term (6 week) injuries to the top of their roster.

LA needs to figure out how to cope without quick.

As for who can knock them out? Well, if we are talking about the top 3 in the division, I still see the ducks and sharks in the playoffs. Coyotes, no they are too young. Canucks, don't see the he depth, but if they get lucky with health they can be right there. Edmonton, same as Vancouver. Not much depth to cover for top end loses. Favourable schedule to start, so hard to figure out if they are really much better on the back end.
Calgary cant figure out how to play defense.

But, la has to keep pace until quick returns. If they are 8 points or so out when he gets back, that is hard to overcome.

That's exactly how I feel about the Kings. It's gonna be rough without quick, but there is not much depth to the pacific division. I see the Sharks as definately being in the top 3. Anaheim I think will be there too, but they haven't been playing well so far. Who out of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Arizona is going to knock the Kings out of a top 3 spot?? I just don't see it.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
I think the Rangers are better this year than last. Though that team got helped by a somewhat fluky scorching hot first 20 games. I'll be surprised if barring injuries they aren't at least a Wild Card team. They look to be a very good possession team this season. Something we haven't had since 13-14. I also think we'll make some trade for a RD.

Couldn't agree with you more. The Rangers look to be a MUCH better possession team than they were last year, and that usually translates to more success in the playoffs. It is a longggg season though, they have to keep this type of play up. If they do keep this up and can acquire a top pairing RHD, I think they can become a legit cup threat. Long way to go though, but I am encouraged so far.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Oilers will be in the playoffs. They will not be in the wild card spot. They will be first or second in the pacific.

Let's see them actually MAKE the playoffs for the first time since 05-06 before we start proclaiming they will finish 1st or 2nd in the pacific. Their offense can be dynamic but that defense is still a horror show. I think they will finish in a wild card spot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Washington a 4 seed I am not getting. They well again be dumped out of the playoffs in the 2nd round per usual, but in the regular season before the playoff flame outs get in their heads they are as good a team as they can earn. I think they are no worse than the second best team in the east and very likely the best again.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hilarious that just over a month ago before the season started I stated I'd be very surprised if Edmonton misses the playoffs. Virtually no one agreed with me and everyone laughed at it. They have a good first week, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=122177929

I also said LA and Anaheim were not nearly as good as most on HF were claiming and both would miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Hilarious that just over a month ago before the season started I stated I'd be very surprised if Edmonton misses the playoffs. Virtually no one agreed with me and everyone laughed at it. They have a good first week, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=122177929

I also said LA and Anaheim were not nearly as good as most on HF were claiming and both would miss the playoffs.

Not that I disagree with you, but we are 4-5 games in still.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

That was my entire point in the post though. I made a pre-season prediction based on the talent I felt Edmonton had. Everyone else is now loving their chances due to a good first week and doing a 180 flip

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC

You're right, it's a small sample size, but it shouldn't be ignored.

If Edmonton was 1-4-0, everyone would be predicting them to be a basement dweller and the argument of "small sample size" would not even be entertained.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

If Edmonton was 1-4-0, everyone would be predicting them to be a basement dweller and the argument of "small sample size" would not even be entertained.

It's not like Oilers are being outplayed and winning.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I predicted the Oilers would dominate at ES after what I saw in the preseason. ES goals for/against has been a good metric on whether a team is playing well or not.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-even-strength-goal-ratio/2016/

This team is built heavy and McDavid just kills at ES with 6 points:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-even-strength-scoring-leaders/2016/

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

Same goes for the Canucks, everyone is expecting us to fall off of a cliff, whatever, the HF hate train makes every win sweeter. I don't like the Oilers, but I'm really hoping Western Canada can stick it to California just like 2015. Canucks-Oilers for the Pacific playoff title. Let's get a mutual hate to love train going.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Same goes for the Canucks, everyone is expecting us to fall off of a cliff, whatever, the HF hate train makes every win sweeter. I don't like the Oilers, but I'm really hoping Western Canada can stick it to California just like 2015. Canucks-Oilers for the Pacific playoff title. Let's get a mutual hate to love train going.

**** yeah.

California's dominance needs to come to an end. Western Canadian teams in the playoffs is good for the NHL.

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC

As an Oilers fan living in Vancouver, a Canucks-Oilers playoff series would be simultaneously be the best and worst thing that could happen :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As an Oilers fan living in Vancouver, a Canucks-Oilers playoff series would be simultaneously be the best and worst thing that could happen :laugh:

It would be awesome. The hate isn't really ramped up right now between the Oilers and Canucks, I'd prefer VAN get in over CGY and any of the Cali teams.

Still early, but ANA looks slow and weak in the bottom 6. With Quick out LAK might be in trouble. One game at a time though, the Oilers need to play hard with 100% effort every game for the entire game. Can't give up any points, need to keep winning and playing the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad