Any Chance Crosby Reaches 2000 Points?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I wouldn't bet on it, but it doesn't seem utterly impossible. He needs 401 more points. That's an average of 80 points per season (plus one point). He's 37 and can still produce at above a PPG clip. He works hard to stay in shape and loves hockey.

If he can score over 90 points this season and next season and then 80 three seasons from now, he'll only need to average about 70 in his last two seasons to reach 2000 career points (assuming he plays that long).

Like with Ovechkin and 895/900 career goals, I think reaching 2000 points would be a meaningful accomplishment, but it wouldn't help his all-time ranking that much. Would that be enough to propel him ahead of Lemieux or Orr? I'm sure many wouldn't think so. Some might.

Reactions: Dale53130

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He has a shot if he wants to play for that long.

Too bad Pittsburgh is in no position to contend within the next five years.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The Pens missed the playoffs on the last game of the season the last two years. They are a playoff team I think. The way Crosby, Malkin and Letang have played so far this year is impressive. Malkin to me is the key this year, he certainly would be the one that could move the needle as we all know how Crosby will fare. But they are old. Karlsson is old too. There is not much in the cupboard for them. They really need to rely on the old quartet that they have. They are miles from being a contender, three Cups will do that to you eventually, but what I'd like to see him do is make the playoffs. He is tied for 5th with Jagr at 201. The 4 ahead of him are dynasty Oilers. If he had sole possession of 5th, he could have a chance to catch Anderson at 214. That is more likely than 2000. I think after two years he is 5th or 6th all-time in points. He needs two huge years to pass Francis for 5th in the next two years but if he plays three more years he passes Francis. That would leave Gretzky, Jagr, Messier and Howe ahead of him. And that sounds just about right as far as I am concerned.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I wouldn't bet on it, but it doesn't seem utterly impossible. He needs 401 more points. That's an average of 80 points per season (plus one point). He's 37 and can still produce at above a PPG clip. He works hard to stay in shape and loves hockey.

If he can score over 90 points this season and next season and then 80 three seasons from now, he'll only need to average about 70 in his last two seasons to reach 2000 career points (assuming he plays that long).

Like with Ovechkin and 895/900 career goals, I think reaching 2000 points would be a meaningful accomplishment, but it wouldn't help his all-time ranking that much. Would that be enough to propel him ahead of Lemieux or Orr? I'm sure many wouldn't think so. Some might.
I've been thinking about this since 2019 (or so).

I think he can.

I don't see him as the type to have his sights set on that specific goal though, or motivated to make it harder for McDavid to catch him in that regard. McDavid's ahead of his pace, but he still has to be really good we'll into his 30s to do so. McDavid's "only" +600 points behind while he's 10 years younger, but Crosby is still racking up 80-90 point seasons.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ovechkin created some never say never, but that a whole lot of points for someone with very little left to prove (Thornton and many they hanged around long did not win a cup, money-life problem, etc...)

One way to put it, after his 36 years old season,

Yzerman..: 93
Sakic....: 152
Thornton : 198
Beliveau.: 207 (in only 202 games)
Francis..: 239
Oates....: 294
jagr.....: 322
Messier..: 335
Howe.....: 489

Would 400 pts it be the most ever after Howe ? And by a good amount, if someone can do it, could be him with scoring staying high, but still this would be a lot. Jagr without the KHL probably could have, but he had a freak of nature 6 foot 3 frame and played until he was 45.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ovechkin created some never say never, but that a whole lot of points for someone with very little left to prove (Thornton and many they hanged around long did not win a cup, money-life problem, etc...)

One way to put it, after his 36 years old season,

Yzerman..: 93
Sakic....: 152
Thornton : 198
Beliveau.: 207 (in only 202 games)
Francis..: 239
Oates....: 294
jagr.....: 322
Messier..: 335
Howe.....: 489

Would 400 pts it be the most ever after Howe ? And by a good amount, if someone can do it, could be him with scoring staying high, but still this would be a lot. Jagr without the KHL probably could have, but he had a freak of nature 6 foot 3 frame and played until he was 45.
Got me curious for Alfredsson as he went til 41, he was 285 points after turning 36.

Not sure he gets there, not sure if will play long enough.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
There's a chance, I just don't think it's a good one. He's going to hit 1800 points but I'm not confident on anything after that. He'll be 39 when he hits 1800. I know he's a fitness freak but he just won't be elite productive more after that. There's only what, 20 PPG seasons after age 36 as is? And what, just like 3 80 point seasons after age 38? Outside Howe it's just not something we've seen even from guys like Sakic or Jagr or Gretzky or Lemieux or Yzerman.

Maybe he plays until 43 and gets there. But I do think he's done after this last contract he signed.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad