Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
They have Palat to deal away first. Raising cap will help too. So it’s a question of cap of Luke, Simon and Dawson. And how good Gritsyuk will perform, how much money he will achieve.
2026-2027 looks reasonable - it’s a year of the new Nemec deal.

I think Dougie will be easier to get rid of since there’s a good chance he’ll still be worth that deal when the time comes to move him while Palat’s never been worth the deal. My hope has always been Palat next summer once the protections drop to a 10 team trade but I still don’t know if we’ll find someone on his list to take him. His buyout next summer would be 3.5, 2.5, 1.5, and 1.5. Buying it out in 2026 it’s 2.7 and 1.65. I think a likely scenario is we move on from both in summer 2026 and hopefully can add either a top goalie if needed or a big forward piece

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks! I have no problem drafting Russians other than they are damn near impossible to watch.

I was asking on his overall play and that includes the defensive side. Tough to know a defensive game when I haven’t watched a second of him play.
His defensive game was better through the year. He had his rockie mistakes, but he was defensive defenseman who played 68 pro games as 17-18 yo kid.

We know nothing about his offensive potential, even his defensive issues with the puck are questionable because he was a kid who could be asked for making fast plays. We don’t know what kind of instructions he had for specific situation. When he will adapt more for a pro level he will learn how protect the space and puck to make better controlling plays. More over he did this protecting plays, he just didn’t it often. Again may be because of his rawness and instructions potentially.

I think Dougie will be easier to get rid of since there’s a good chance he’ll still be worth that deal when the time comes to move him while Palat’s never been worth the deal. My hope has always been Palat next summer once the protections drop to a 10 team trade but I still don’t know if we’ll find someone on his list to take him. His buyout next summer would be 3.5, 2.5, 1.5, and 1.5. Buying it out in 2026 it’s 2.7 and 1.65. I think a likely scenario is we move on from both in summer 2026 and hopefully can add either a top goalie if needed or a big forward piece
I’m not saying Palat will be easier to rid, I think Palat is one of the first in the line to rid.
I think he has some LTIR potential. Overall I don’t think it is so important.
But taking everything from this roster before Markstrom and Hischier deals will end - that’s important.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His defensive game was better through the year. He had his rockie mistakes, but he was defensive defenseman who played 68 pro games as 17-18 yo kid.

We know nothing about his offensive potential, even his defensive issues with the puck are questionable because he was a kid who could be asked for making fast plays. We don’t know what kind of instructions he had for specific situation. When he will adapt more for a pro level he will learn how protect the space and puck to make better controlling plays. More over he did this protecting plays, he just didn’t it often. Again may be because of his rawness and instructions potentially.

I’m not saying Palat will be easier to rid, I think Palat is one of the first in the line to rid.
But taking everything from this roster before Markstrom and Hischier deals will end - that’s important.

I’m saying I don’t even know if you’ll be able to find the suitor to take on Palat’s deal whereas with Dougie I think you will. LTIR would be ideal. I don’t think removing Dougie next summer is “taking everything from the roster”. It’s not like you’d be moving on from him and his money and not be adding elsewhere. It’s that it could be redundant having him as well as Luke/Nemec/Casey if all of guys take steps. You’re looking at a 9 mil luxury and maybe you’d be better off having a top 6 F instead. Now if the Casey forward experiment gets tried and works I think you can wait until summer 2026 and Casey can be a forward add as well as the injury replacement 7D for a year.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m saying I don’t even know if you’ll be able to find the suitor to take on Palat’s deal whereas with Dougie I think you will. LTIR would be ideal. I don’t think removing Dougie next summer is “taking everything from the roster”. It’s not like you’d be moving on from him and his money and not be adding elsewhere. It’s that it could be redundant having him as well as Luke/Nemec/Casey if all of guys take steps. You’re looking at a 9 mil luxury and maybe you’d be better off having a top 6 F instead. Now if the Casey forward experiment gets tried and works I think you can wait until summer 2026 and Casey can be a forward add as well as the injury replacement 7D for a year.
I understand what you are trying to say. Im saying that Casey will not be on the level with Dougie. Even with upper trajectory of Luke and Nemec we will be better with Dougie on the roster. At least in the next year or two or may be even three. If Casey is good enough to worth it - they can use him as 7D. And until Nemec and Casey are on the ELCs, its advantage to have all of them. Experience and depth are important. Luke will eat some part of cap hit of Dougie so its not like we will find something really better. On the other hand Palat will not be better, we knew it in the day of his sign that 1-2 years is something Devils will need to deal. Dump, trade or LTIR.
And I dont think will take a risk to deal Dougie before he will see something real in his hands he can trust. Even with next steps he can use nextsteping young defensemen with experienced defensemen, he should maximize this 2-3 years.
9 mil is a luxury, but good defense is a need. WIth dumping Palat they will have enough to find top-6 add, but they will not risk with losing experience on the blue line. I would not be surprised if Fitz will not let Casey play full NHL role even if he will establish himself in situational role.
And im not so inspiring by Casey forward experience, I think they will use him as a 7D more than 12F.

But I understand your points. I just not a fan to bet on a risk with the last years of Nico deal and with Markstrom deal.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Woah. Let’s take it easy there. Last I heard Lane Hutson was still alive. He goes first in any redraft.

And I can't believe how ignorant TBF1972 was forgetting that Cole Hutson was in this draft and obviously goes number one in a redraft of 2024.

---

Luke-Nemec
Silayev-Casey
Karpovich-? (pick one of our RD prospects here)

WOW. Shutdown guys, all solid skaters, lots of offense, lots of hockey IQ.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Dougie is, unless he has not had a full recovery, in the range of a top 15-20 defenseman in the league. He would have to regress heavily AND Casey would have to be absolutely otherworldly from the jump in the A (with at least some excellent NHL games) for me to even contemplate making that switch next off-season.

If the alternative is sweetening a Palat trade, so be it. (But I think it’ll be less than folks think, someone will want him to mentor their young guys)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Obviously we see how Casey looks first but I really think he’ll be good enough as well as steps from Luke/Nemec where it’ll make sense to look to move Dougie next summer rather than 2026 to open up that money to use elsewhere

He doesn’t have a booming shot and Weber skated nowhere near as well as Silayev

Maybe Weber had a booming shot when he was drafted in 2003 but also had 2 goals in 70 GP in his draft year.

IMG_8496.jpeg

And going back to Nikishin, he has a Oct 2nd birthday, so he was older player in the 2020 draft.

His offensive explosion in the KHL was at 20-21, which is 3-4 seasons away for Silayev.
IMG_8497.jpeg

I don’t know what his offense ceiling is but with his size it’s years away.

Saucerhead Tharpe

Jul 18, 2021
TunFaire
Somebody is concerned about this guy's progression? He played over 20 minutes a night in the KHL playoffs. As a 17 year-old. Plus, he's got Igor "The Professor" Larianov coaching him up. Politics / contracts aside he is closer to the NHL than most seem to assume.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well the Utica coach seems to think that he has something to his shot even though it only hit the crossbar and then almost hit the ceiling.

Weber perhaps didn't get a lot of goals but his shot was one of the hardest in the league and injured a lot of players during his time playing. Players hated having to try and block his shot.

Chara was similar too.

With how big Silayev is and the strength he has its not unimaginable that he could have a very hard shot.

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well the Utica coach seems to think that he has something to his shot even though it only hit the crossbar and then almost hit the ceiling.

Weber perhaps didn't get a lot of goals but his shot was one of the hardest in the league and injured a lot of players during his time playing. Players hated having to try and block his shot.

Chara was similar too.

With how big Silayev is and the strength he has its not unimaginable that he could have a very hard shot.

Weber scored a lot of goals in the NHL. He scored two in his draft year. That’s my point.

Reactions: Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Moving Palat will cover Nemec's extension. It will not give us space to add anyone.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe Weber had a booming shot when he was drafted in 2003 but also had 2 goals in 70 GP in his draft year.

View attachment 894737

I like to use Weber as an example that not all draft eligible guys get the same ice time. Kelowna was 'stacked' for a junior club that season and Weber was essentially a #4/5 D who didn't get any PP time. Kelowna had Duncan Keith, future NHLer Josh Gorges, and a recent 2nd rounder Tomas Slovak; Unrelated but Slovak had a brief cameo in San Diego before heading back to Europe and I remember him being introduced as "42nd overall pick in 2001 Tomas Slovak" before the 2005 season opener.

I seem to recall reading that Weber was still a string bean in his draft year. Like he was closer to 185 and then he'd play in the NHL at like 230+. I suppose that's why teams will bring their trainers to the combine who know nothing about the prospects but are just trying to gauge which guys might have the frame to put on more muscle. We drafted a guy named Reece Scarlett in 2011 and I remember reading before the draft that teams were worried about his ability to gain more bulk despite him being 6'1.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Moving Palat will cover Nemec's extension. It will not give us space to add anyone.
Moving Palat will give us 3-6 mil. It will cover part of Nemec extansion or next Luke extantion. Or some other extansion or free agent addition. because it will bring 3-6 mil to the cap.

Reactions: mdj12784

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Any word about his plan to come over to the NHL and join the team in 2 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00