Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Can we have a tv show where Anton and Seamus are D-partners, roommates, best friends, and nightlife wingmen?
MV5BMWUzN2VkY2ItYmQ4YS00MjFmLWJhZDQtYWY1NWQ2NTA5NDNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
Most mock drafts had Silayev from 5-8 OA. Having him slide a few stops to 10 OA was a good surprise. He just turned 18, let's let him play a few years in KHL and develop his game. Outlet passes and improvement on offense are skills he needs to work on.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I only watched a few videos before the draft on him as I thought he would be gone before us, McKenzie’s list having him in the top 5 kind of confirmed that for me, but damn this kid fly and not even for his size. In general he’s a fantastic skater.

Defensively he looks elite already at 17 in a tough pro league, that’s awesome and we need that here. I see some offensive potential in the O-zone and when he joins the rush which is nice, but that’ll never be his elite skill. Still has some 30-35 point upside imo. Paired with that elite defense, that sounds real nice.

Overall, I really like this pick. Seems like a BPA pick that also fills a huge need. Really like this. Our defense is going to be nasty real quick.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I changed my mind. I'm good with this pick. I really wanted Nygard and I think he's going to a the kind of player we could really use very soon...but the more I watch him skate the more I like the pick.

I think also there is potential offense there with how well he skates.
I think you were the one that pointed out yesterday how well he joins the rush. After your post I paid attention and you’re absolutely right. I agree with you with the offensive potential. Doesn’t have that Luke/Nemec offense, but he does have potential to contribute offensively for sure, which is exciting when paired with that defensive skill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He just erases guys along the wall and the middle of the ice with a knowing ease. I don't recall seeing many young guys, pre or post draft, do that.

Even if he tops out as a huge Paul Martin, that's a big win.
But it's not just a physical elimination of the opponent...his positioning is excellent and stick is in a good position in all the video I've seen...then when you remember he's 17 it damn impressive.

He moves so gracefully it almost like he's not as big as he is too

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
But it's not just a physical elimination of the opponent...his positioning is excellent and stick is in a good position in all the video I've seen...then when you remember he's 17 it damn impressive.

He moves so gracefully it almost like he's not as big as he is too
Exactly. I used 'erasing' wrong but that's what I really meant.

Reactions: JimEIV

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Is there any chance we can bring this kid over and at least play an AHL game soon? Sorry I didn't go through the last 13 pages yet.

Is that even feasible (if he were to back out of his contract?)

Or do we think he will play out the remaining KHL 2 years..?

Probably need the @Guadana context here...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Is there any chance we can bring this kid over and at least play an AHL game soon? Sorry I didn't go through the last 13 pages yet.

He’ll play 2 years in the KHL and likely come right over after that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Agent said he plans to play his 2 years out in the KHL and the implication was he would come over after that.

Silayev and his agent both seem to really like Larianov so I think they want to keep working with him until he jumps into NHL.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He’ll play 2 years in the KHL and likely come right over after that.

I know that is probably the standard pattern, but could there be an incentive to bring him over to NA (AHL) game early... If that is even possible or incentivizing. I assume he would make more money to finish that KHL contract out, but if there was a way to say..

"Hey kid, come train and develop over here in NA reg sized rink."

Probably just a pipe dream. That skating looks very fluid for a guy who is 6'7"

Super smooothh...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I know that is probably the standard pattern, but could there be an incentive to bring him over to NA (AHL) game early... If that is even possible or incentivizing. I assume he would make more money to finish that KHL contract out, but if there was a way to say..

Super smooothh...
They said it pretty plainly that he won’t break the contract and he’ll be there for 2. It’s a good situation though. He’ll get plenty of playing time and seems to get on well with the coach (Larianov).

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Super smooothh...

@Guadana mentioned here that a lot of KHL rinks use NA sized rinks, his quote is down here!

Bigger part of KHL rinks are finns or canadien size.

He should work on his game with the puck. If he will develop it more - it will be huge top-4 defenseman for many many minutes. He is 17 yo who is already playing in KHL. So the chance he will develop it against harder competition better than Dickinson will understand the game against transition.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I changed my mind. I'm good with this pick. I really wanted Nygard and I think he's going to a the kind of player we could really use very soon...but the more I watch him skate the more I like the pick.

I think also there is potential offense there with how well he skates.

I wanted one of the LD to fall to 10 and would be happy with any of them. Its just weird because all 3 were there and we were getting sold on Zeev the whole time, since he was the most likely to fall.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad