Value of: Anton Lundell Offersheet

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What price would Florida not match?

Would Lundell sign with another team?

Thinking PIT offering him a 6.4 x 2-3 year deal or something for their 1st and 3rd.

Then again I think it has to be a 2024 1st.

He's not eligible to be offer-sheeted until the free agent period begins, which is after the draft, so it would be 2025 picks.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
f*** no Zito wouldn’t pay that, and while i like him more than some Panther fans and see his potential (and his defensive abilities), that’s HUGE overpayment. That amount is just a first and a 3rd?

Ledge And Dairy

Well obviously he hasn't earned anything remotely close to that so if you offer him than they definitely don't match.

If we are talking a much more realistic number for an offer sheet, like the 2.1M - 4.3M bracket he probably matches. But you also have to ask yourself why he would choose to jump from Florida to a likely inferior team elsewhere.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
f*** no Zito wouldn’t pay that, and while i like him more than some Panther fans and see his potential (and his defensive abilities), that’s HUGE overpayment. That amount is just a first and a 3rd?

Based on last year's scale 6.435 mil AAV would be the top of the 1st+3rd compensation scale. It'll move up a bit this offseason with the cap going up.

But I agree that seems like a lofty price for Lundell at this point. I don't quite get the fascination that some have with offer sheets. Like there's a misplaced sense that you outsmarted the other team by overpaying?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What price would Florida not match?

Would Lundell sign with another team?

Thinking PIT offering him a 6.4 x 2-3 year deal or something for their 1st and 3rd.

Then again I think it has to be a 2024 1st.

I think Florida takes the picks. Especially if its Pittsburgh's 1st.

Regardless, its a 2025 1st, as Lundell isn't an RFA until after the 2024 draft.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If Montreal wins the lottery I'd be on board with them pitching him 1 year at that figure, same way Carolina did with Kotkaniemi. Pittsburgh should not be giving up 1sts in consecutive years.

Guessing Florida would find a way to match something like 2x4.2 where compensation is only a 2nd?

Well obviously he hasn't earned anything remotely close to that so if you offer him than they definitely don't match.

If we are talking a much more realistic number for an offer sheet, like the 2.1M - 4.3M bracket he probably matches. But you also have to ask yourself why he would choose to jump from Florida to a likely inferior team elsewhere.
+ the taxes. 3.25 is Florida is as good as 4 million elsewhere

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Based on last year's scale 6.435 mil AAV would be the top of the 1st+3rd compensation scale. It'll move up a bit this offseason with the cap going up.

But I agree that seems like a lofty price for Lundell at this point. I don't quite get the fascination that some have with offer sheets. Like there's a misplaced sense that you outsmarted the other team by overpaying?

The RFA compensation moves up by a slightly different % than the cap. Also, it's retro to the average salary change from last season to this season. Expect approximately a 1.2% increase ($83.5M / $82.5M) in RFA compensation this summer.

Ledge And Dairy

If Montreal wins the lottery I'd be on board with them pitching him 1 year at that figure, same way Carolina did with Kotkaniemi. Pittsburgh should not be giving up 1sts in consecutive years.

Guessing Florida would find a way to match something like 2x4.2 where compensation is only a 2nd?

+ the taxes. 3.25 is Florida is as good as 4 million elsewhere
Exactly. The #1 thing about offer sheets is that the player has to sign it as well. I think Lundell would rather take a 2 year deal at ~2M to stay in Florida than take a 2-5 year deal at ~4M to go to a non-contender.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Exactly. The #1 thing about offer sheets is that the player has to sign it as well. I think Lundell would rather take a 2 year deal at ~2M to stay in Florida than take a 2-5 year deal at ~4M to go to a non-contender.
That's easy for you to say, but you are asking a guy who hasn't made much (in NHL terms)in his career to turn down millions of extra dollars. He knows that the big$ will be going to others on FLA. If some other team offers him twice as much to play for them, with term, he's got to consider it. In your example above, he would surely think twice about a 20M contract v. a 4M one. The guy is making 925K this year. He's not like Reinhart, who has already made over 40M in his career. Now that's a guy who can afford to take a million or two less to stay in FLA, and still be very, very comfortable.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I feel like even 4.3 might cut it. It’s not a massive overpay by any means, but a 1st from a non playoff team has got to be tempting unless you think there’s a big jump in production coming next year

That's easy for you to say, but you are asking a guy who hasn't made much (in NHL terms)in his career to turn down millions of extra dollars. He knows that the big$ will be going to others on FLA. If some other team offers him twice as much to play for them, with term, he's got to consider it. In your example above, he would surely think twice about a 20M contract v. a 4M one. The guy is making 925K this year. He's not like Reinhart, who has already made over 40M in his career. Now that's a guy who can afford to take a million or two less to stay in FLA, and still be very, very comfortable.

Yep. Just look at Klim Kostin. He loves Edmonton to the point where he still lives there in the offseason, and went to Game 1 to cheer them on. He still took the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad