Anton Lander

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Agreed on the last part. I'm also glad the team is now at the stage where we don't have a 40-page thread whenever another team's 4th liner/failed prospect is waived on whether the Oilers should pick him up or not.

Screw that. I'm happy that we don't need to have a stupid conversation about some guy we've picked up off of waivers actually bringing a big change to our team.

Really, who was the last guy we picked up off of waivers who actually mattered to the team in the long run?

Glad those conversations are over.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Comapred him to Backlund last year too. Solid 3c who offers a bit of everything

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just thought I'd get the discussion going again?

Anyone as disappointed in Lander as I've been so far to start the year? He looked really good in the pre-season. But he's just fallen off the map in the regulation games. We really need him to be an impact player from the 3rd line (as much as a player can be an impact guy from the bottom 6) but he's been completely nonexistent offensively to start the year

9 GP 0G 0A 0P -2. Just 12 shots through 9 games and first unit PP the entire year so far.

He's been alright defensively, and good on the PK. But we need more than that out of our 3rd line center. Our bottom 6 can't be completely void of offensive contributions. For the most part, it largely has been.

He's gotta kick his game into gear big time.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
One thing I have noticed ansd maybe its just me but Lander seems to be scarred of the puck and or contact. At this point I would almost prefer him on the 4th line and bring letestu up to the 3rd line.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Honest to god i never saw anything in Lander, he's a poor bottom player, has no business being on the PP or 3rd line, he's an okay PKr that's it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's the kind of player you stay patient with.

Although having him interchangeable with Letestu is okay.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lander isn't playing poorly. Being saddled with Purcell and figuring out where Korpi will be takes time, plus he's a slow starter.

I'll start getting worried at the quarter pole.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I've always seen Lander as a 4C. His stretch at the end of last season is more anomaly then normal. I'd be happy with Lander as a 15G, 15A, bottom six center. He's good defensively and has a little offensive ability, plus he seems to be well liked in any locker room he plays for.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has definitely had a rough go of it this season. I was really hoping that he'd continue his play from last season but that seems like ancient history now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He might get another show once Eberle comes back and one of the forwards in the top 6 or Eberle will need to go down to the 3rd line. If he can't get anything done at that point we need to find a 3rd line center who can and Lander can be a winger on the 4th line or PB guy.

Should've re-signed Derek Roy as insurance.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Course we should have. It was a no-brainer.

Every year the Oilers seem to believe that all their players will/should develop along an even trajectory toward their potential. They continue to count on players to do jobs that they have projected them to be able to do. I have no idea how many examples they will require to learn that players don't develop in straight lines, and if you give them crappy coaching and surround them with crappy team mates, some players never develop at all.

Every single time the Oilers evaluate their players fitness to do an NHL job based on potential ceiling instead of ability at present. So its no surprise to me that they figured they didn't need Roy. They had Lander jotted down for eighty games, fifteen minutes a night, and forty points. And I don't even want to imagine how they projected Draisaitl's season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Course we should have. It was a no-brainer.

Every year the Oilers seem to believe that all their players will/should develop along an even trajectory toward their potential. They continue to count on players to do jobs that they have projected them to be able to do. I have no idea how many examples they will require to learn that players don't develop in straight lines, and if you give them crappy coaching and surround them with crappy team mates, some players never develop at all.

Every single time the Oilers evaluate their players fitness to do an NHL job based on potential ceiling instead of ability at present. So its no surprise to me that they figured they didn't need Roy. They had Lander jotted down for eighty games, fifteen minutes a night, and forty points. And I don't even want to imagine how they projected Draisaitl's season.

But you can only keep so many players on your roster. Lander was in the NHL this year or he would have been lost on the waiver draft. He was coming off an excellent second half last year, was terrific in the WHC's and had already established himself as a dominant AHL player. He also had an excellent training camp. At some point you need to make the commitment.

McDavid completely killed any chance for Roy to come back. Roy had a very positive impact on Yakipov last year but he is no longer suited to play in a third line role. He is at this point in his career not very good defensively and has lost a lot of the feistiness that he had when he was young. It is extremely unlikely he would have won a spot after training camp in the starting 12 and probably not a roster spot at all.

BTW Roy was one of my all time favourite Kitchener Rangers. I went to a lot of games when he played here and loved how he scrapped for every inch. Because of this I've followed his career quite closely, and in spite of his success here last year it has been clear for a few years that he was close to the end.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He might get another show once Eberle comes back and one of the forwards in the top 6 or Eberle will need to go down to the 3rd line. If he can't get anything done at that point we need to find a 3rd line center who can and Lander can be a winger on the 4th line or PB guy.

Noooo, you had to go and bring up Roy again. He's playing in Switzerland. Not a single NHL team could use him!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Oh wait I was saying that all summer and getting shouted out for it. "Chia knows more than you do internet guy"...

Man, what competitive team doesn't pencil in tried and true NHL success vs starting an AHLer in such a role?

Could you imagine the difference in line production with an accomplished vet establishing some flow in play and setting guys up. I would say Slepy is having a night and day different year if Roy was here.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Landers had a rough start, hopefully he just needs to get some traction with the new coach/system and can be much better by the second half of the season. He's shown too much not to at least give him the season to turn it around but he needs to pick it up, he is only 24 so all hope isn't lost but man he's been underwhelming after such a strong TC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad