Anthony Duclair (Mod warning in post #364)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So...If/when Anthony Duclair steps onto the ice against Detroit, he is officially with the team for the long haul. Is that correct?
Assuming he does stick for the season, he has really beaten the odds. Good for him!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So...If/when Anthony Duclair steps onto the ice against Detroit, he is officially with the team for the long haul. Is that correct?
Assuming he does stick for the season, he has really beaten the odds. Good for him!

yes and no. if he plays in his 10th game, it starts the clock on his ELC.. when and if he plays in his 41st game, then that brings him a year closer to UFA status. The 40 game mark is the more important threshold.

imo he should be back in junior!

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
yes and no. if he plays in his 10th game, it starts the clock on his ELC.. when and if he plays in his 41st game, then that brings him a year closer to UFA status. The 40 game mark is the more important threshold.

interesting...thank you. so, in effect, he had nine games to show he had something special to offer...now he has 30 more games to show he's indispensable.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY

I'm pretty sure being he signed his deal after jan 1st or something that a year of hid elc was getting burned no matter what...the 40 game mark will determine whether he goes ufa at 26 or 27 tho....

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine

Duclair's first year of his ELC was being burned this year even if he had not made the team and played more than 9 games because of the time he signed his contract w. The Rangers and his age. The 40 game piece and UFA info sounds right tho.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

This is not correct. Because of the time period in which Duclair's contract was signed, he burns a year off of his ELC regardless of where he plays. This is the first year of his ELC even if he was in the Q all season. His agents wanted it this way, apparently. He gets himself to UFA quicker but also forgoes arbitration eligibility. IIRC.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Right...I forgot the exact details of ELC, age when signed. thanks. I love the player and he's a keeper. I just want him on the junior team for the Christmas tourney.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Here's some notes from Pat Leonard on the situation:

4. OK, so stay with me. This is where it gets confusing. Typically, Duclair’s contract would “slide” another full year ahead if he stayed in juniors this season, pushing the entire three-year deal back again. However, because Duclair did not sign until Jan. 2 – missing the Dec. 31, 2013 deadline – he does not get a second slide year. This means that no matter whether he plays in the NHL or juniors this season, Duclair will have only two years remaining on his entry-level deal after this season. He therefore will become eligible for restricted free agency in 2017 no matter what, without arbitration rights. It was reported that Duclair’s camp wanted it that way, which I don’t understand but will try to learn more about.

5. So we’ve established that Duclair’s contract will have only two years remaining on it after this season. That leaves two scenarios for this season: Duclair makes the team, the Rangers cut a player to stay at 50 contracts, and pay him for the first year of a three-year contract; OR, Duclair returns to juniors and the first year of this three-year deal disappears, the Rangers don’t need to cut a player, and the team doesn’t have to pay for it.

6. There is a way, however, that Duclair can make the Rangers roster but not force them to pay for that first contract year: Duclair can play in up to nine NHL games before returning to juniors without that Year One of the contract kicking in. The drawback of that, though, is that the team would have to cut a player to remain at the 50-player contract limit once Duclair played even one game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ra...berg-greater-opportunity-blog-entry-1.1956083

It's kind of a unique/atypical situation, so there has been some confusion about it.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
so is it now assumed he's not going back to juniors? since the rangers haven't mentioned anything and he's still with the team. or is there reason to think they may put him in the press box for a few games while they think it over further?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

Of course you think so, selfishly.

Right...I forgot the exact details of ELC, age when signed. thanks. I love the player and he's a keeper. I just want him on the junior team for the Christmas tourney.

Hopefully for his NHL team and their fans, he will not be. Seeing as they're the ones paying him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
so is it now assumed he's not going back to juniors? since the rangers haven't mentioned anything and he's still with the team. or is there reason to think they may put him in the press box for a few games while they think it over further?

No clue really. It's hard to say what AV is thinking and probably won't really shake things out until Stepan is back in the lineup. I don't think it can be ignored that Duclair continues to contribute even with somewhat limited icetime (hell even if some of his assists are secondary and come from keeping a cycle going, there's a reason he's getting those as opposed to a player like Glass) but it also appears that AV doesn't fully trust him yet or at the very least is unwilling to throw him in and let him sink or swim.

I suspect he doesn't go down yet and there will be some more line juggling with Stepan back to decide how things work out. Still, I think he's a better choice than the other winger options available, otherwise we're looking at Malone getting more icetime (doesn't really seem to be high on AV's list) or calling up someone from Hartford instead, and Duclair has already outplayed those guys to earn a spot.

Nash-Stepan-St Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Hayes-Duclair
Glass-Moore-Stempniak

Seems like a reasonable lineup with the ability to move icetime around if need be. I guess the other option is to just move Stempniak up long term, send Duclair back, and use someone from Hartford for the fourth line.

When Stepan comes off IR the Rangers will also need to move a player off the roster...wonder how that will shake out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mikhail Grigorenko was drafted out of the Quebec league and made the Sabres out of camp in his draft year and played over 20 games. The NHL has a bylaw protecting CHL teams and Grigorenko went back to the Q instead of the AHL. Once back in the CHL the player stays there until his team's season is finished.

If Duclair goes back to the Q and remains with the Quebec Remparts who have an automatic bye into the Memorial Cup--there's almost no chance we'll see him in a Rangers game again this year. Personally I see no good reason to send him back at this point. There is probably going to be the odd game where he's scratched but barring injury I'm thinking 65-70 games is about where he should be if he can continue to contribute and barring injury.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Duclair could be sent back at any time, but realistically, if it doesn't happen by the WJC, it won't happen.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Of course you think so, selfishly.

Hopefully for his NHL team and their fans, he will not be. Seeing as they're the ones paying him.

take it easy pal, no need to take everything so personal. I just happen to believe junior age players, the vast majority of them, with exceptions, would be better served by finishing their junior careers. I happen to believe it is the better developmental model.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
take it easy pal, no need to take everything so personal. I just happen to believe junior age players, the vast majority of them, with exceptions, would be better served by finishing their junior careers. I happen to believe it is the better developmental model.

I think if they show that they can play in the NHL it's better for them to stay there. Experience gained in the memorial cup and junior tournament is absolutely NOTHING compared to playing in the NHL (if the player can handle it)

The Rangers job here is to monitor Duclair and decide whether he's handling the NHL and developing properly, or if he would be better suited to spend another year in juniors. But it's entirely based on his ability to play at the NHL level and not a broad sweeping "players should stay in juniors and playing in the memorial cup is such a dreamy experience!"

Also I'm not attacking you with these comments, just expressing an opinion about something that several people have said

AHB*

I'll just say that I completely disagree with this and I'll leave it at that.

Duke looks to be on this team for the long haul anyway. He adds a much needed element to that 3rd line. He's had a shaky past two games, but I fully expect him to bounce back.

His upside is worth living with the growing pains IMO.

Just fyi, I started off the season thinking he should be sent back....fwiw

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
.. imo he should be back in junior!
:shakehead

Bob McKenzie said:
The 19-year-old could be back with the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League but instead he’s skating alongside Marty St. Louis and Rick Nash on the Blueshirts’ top line. And, so far, looking awfully good doing it.

He played only 11:12 in the Rangers’ opening night win in St. Louis, but was up to 14:09 two nights later in a loss at Columbus, picking up his first two NHL points on lovely primary assists, one on a Lee Stempniak goal and another on a Nash goal. The Rangers’ home opener was an unmitigated disaster – a 6-3 loss to Toronto – but Duclair was a bright spot on an otherwise dismal night. He led all Rangers forwards in icetime with 18:36, in part because linemate Nash left after two periods to be with his wife who had gone into labor, but Duclair was noticeable, winning battles, controlling the puck, making plays, and generating shots (three on goal, six attempted).

Listed at 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds - Duclair looks bigger and stronger than that. He’s got an oversized engine in that mid-range chassis, high-end, explosive speed and power to go with the flashy stick-and-puck skills that helped him to score 50 goals and 99 points in only 59 games for the Remparts last season.

One might well ask the question, how did a 2013 third-round pick (80th overall) make the Rangers as an underage junior? But maybe the more interesting query is how he came to be a third-round pick at all.

“We didn’t have a first- or second-round pick in that (2013) draft,” said Ranger director of player personnel Gordie Clark, “so we were really surprised to see (Duclair) still there in the third.”
Not so surprised, though, to take him with the 65th overall pick, which the Rangers used to select Adam Tambellini. Or, for that matter, not surprised enough to take him with the 75th pick, when New York drafted Pavel Buchnevich instead.

Not only was Duclair a third-round pick, he was the Rangers’ third pick in the third round, a stunning fall for a dynamic and offensively gifted prospect who started the 2012-13 season as a potential first-rounder.

“You could always see his speed and it was obvious he could carry the puck,” Clark said. “We wondered about whether he could finish but the skating and power were tremendous. There wasn’t a lot of love for the kid, that’s for sure.”
The Rangers didn’t go into their training camp expecting Duclair to make the team – head coach Alain Vigneault isn’t easily impressed by teenagers though he did provide the kid a nickname, The Duke - but a run on injuries and the fact Duclair was often times their best player in pre-season games left the Rangers with little choice. With his speed, skill, ability to make plays and no apparent hesitation to battle for pucks, Duclair simply played his way onto the NHL club, necessitating a two-for-one pre-season trade with Florida that allowed New York to make room for him on the club’s 50-contract roster.
http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-the-fascinating-story-of-rangers-forward-duclair-1.105742

The guy has 6 points in 9 games and a +/- of + 5 (top-5 in scoring and 2nd in plus-minus,... and you think he should be sent DOWN?????).

699px-Anthony_Duclair_-_New_York_Rangers.jpg

This 19 year old has GOT GAME!! ... He scored 50 goals in 56 games in the Q last season and knocked the socks off of Rangers' brass in preseason with a point-per-game production and a boatload of intangibles!

How the **** anyone could say he should be sent down is beyond me.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's a small sample, but Duclair's underlying numbers have been great so far. He should stay with the club and in the lineup.

DUCLAIRvsKREIDERvsST_LOUIS2014-155v5_zpsdb37b3b2.png

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'll just say that I completely disagree with this and I'll leave it at that.

Duke looks to be on this team for the long haul anyway. He adds a much needed element to that 3rd line. He's had a shaky past two games, but I fully expect him to bounce back.

His upside is worth living with the growing pains IMO.

Just fyi, I started off the season thinking he should be sent back....fwiw

I've seen 4 games and I'm impressed with his level of play! but I've seen countless 18 and 19 year old rookies impress and then.......not so much.... I prefer the long slow cook approach to development.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I've seen 4 games and I'm impressed with his level of play! but I've seen countless 18 and 19 year old rookies impress and then.......not so much.... I prefer the long slow cook approach to development.

Eh, AV has been sheltering him...maybe a little too much IMO. He's not getting throw into the fire or being expected to handle tough situations that he might not be ready to handle.

Personally I think he should be getting some more even strength ice time but I understand the slow approach...I just think AV has to start trusting him a bit more if he also wants to help him grow as a player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think this is the end all be all answer.

Until and unless the kid shows that he is better served by playing in Juniors, he will be with the Rangers.

6 points in 9 games and a +5 rating shows me that he has done MORE than enough to warrant not only a spot on the 23 man roster, but to be dressed and given a regular shift night in and night out.

Occassionally, give him a seat in the press box and let him watch. Make sure he has his sessions in the video room to sharpen things up, but overall, he's done more than enough that this should no longer be a topic of conversation.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Eh, AV has been sheltering him...maybe a little too much IMO. He's not getting throw into the fire or being expected to handle tough situations that he might not be ready to handle.

Personally I think he should be getting some more even strength ice time but I understand the slow approach...I just think AV has to start trusting him a bit more if he also wants to help him grow as a player.
Yes, he has been sheltered, but that is understandable. He has performed extremely well all things considering, and once he gets "used to the level of play", im sure that AV is going to use him more and more :)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Prior to the start of the season AV said the Rangers will need contributions much like Pearson and Toffoli gave LA last year if they want to keep up more or less. Thus far Duclair has been that contribution, and to a lesser degree Hayes. For the fact alone no one else is stepping up to that plate Duclair should stick, not to mention his play which has reinforced that.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Duclair still has work to do, but it's mostly about adapting to the league, which is only gonna happen if he sticks.

Going to juniors is only gonna let him dominate other kids for a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad