Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
If that's right the range should be $90-110M so that the players end up with ~50% of the $200M per team revenue (reported total revenue of $6.3B in 2022-23).
There is also a very specific definition of what is included in hockey-related revenue that counts toward the split. It is very likely that the graphic includes revenue that doesn’t count in that HRR pool that’s used for determining the cap numbers. Also, the pandemic put the players in a deep hole on the split that they had to pay back over several seasons (which caused the flat cap), and the cap can only go up by a max of 5% per year. Someone can fact check me on the max yearly increase but that’s my recollection of the escalator.

Reactions: lumbergh

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
There is also a very specific definition of what is included in hockey-related revenue that counts toward the split. It is very likely that the graphic includes revenue that doesn’t count in that HRR pool that’s used for determining the cap numbers. Also, the pandemic put the players in a deep hole on the split that they had to pay back over several seasons (which caused the flat cap), and the cap can only go up by a max of 5% per year. Someone can fact check me on the max yearly increase but that’s my recollection of the escalator.
and don't forget about escrow and the pandemic

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Ah got it. Thanks for that.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Kings HRR may be taking a hit after the current local cable TV deal expires. You can see that the Ducks are $100M+ less and are in overlapping DMAs.

The size of the market might work against the Kings if they have to figure out a way to make up lost TV revenue with a DTC streaming product. Right now, with cable tv, they can theoretically address a 6M person market. So that’s reach.

If they go DTC and get like 10k paying subscriptions, watch that HRR start to fall. The paid subs for the BS app is probably a major indicator of their ability to sell subscriptions. And I doubt there is any real money there today.

If they can’t figure out how to make money DTC in this market, in this sports town, things will change quickly at the top. You already see management changing strategy season to season based on the consensus of fan sentiment. It’ll get worse if tv money falls and the team can’t win in the postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad