Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
As far as getting back to a cup team my biggest hopes for the season is the vets struggle, the kids exceed expectations, and we play collectively bad enough to see Luc and Blake and company shown the door in January.

Then we get a like minded GM that sells parts and we do a proper rebuild with some good complimentary pieces to start with. We need to hit a lottery pick for a game breaker 1D and 1C. I honestly like QB as a winger.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
As far as getting back to a cup team my biggest hopes for the season is the vets struggle, the kids exceed expectations, and we play collectively bad enough to see Luc and Blake and company shown the door in January.

Then we get a like minded GM that sells parts and we do a proper rebuild with some good complimentary pieces to start with. We need to hit a lottery pick for a game breaker 1D and 1C. I honestly like QB as a winger.
I agree on liking QB at wing but we need to see him at C for an extended period before we can take an objective view on it.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Did they tell Clarke to tone down that talk?

And if you know, if not why?
No idea if they told him to tone it down. I just think it's part of his game. A Duck's fan described Clarke as the Trevor Zegras of defense.

Usually this sort of thing tempers with age. Doughty used to talk a ton of shit, he still does, but it's not as dick-ish.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That is honestly pretty bang-on.

Other than Dennis being a bargain bin option, and Edmundson being a top dollar FA signing.

Completely understand the need for the player, but the term on that contract is going to age like a bag of milk.
I think the Edmundson signing is more comparable to Montreal signing Alzner. Everybody knew he was spent, but Bergevin gave him a big fat contract anyways. It ended in a buyout.

BTW, Bergevin also signed Edmundson in Montreal.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Problem is, when you draft players sometimes it takes a long time before they contribute.

A guy we draft in 2027 might not be good until 2032 when Byfield is 30.

Building a contender is all about TIMING; everything coming together at the right time. BLuc has completely thrown off the timing of the organization.

Kopitar/Doughty too old. Byfield/Clarke too young. If you rebuild the next wave of youth will be entering their prime when Byfield and Clarke are exiting it.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think the Edmundson signing is more comparable to Montreal signing Alzner. Everybody knew he was spent, but Bergevin gave him a big fat contract anyways. It ended in a buyout.

BTW, Bergevin also signed Edmundson in Montreal.
Yes he did, and the current contract is almost identical save for a small raise.. same term, same 10 time NTC bla blah balh.. probably took out his word doc did a few edits and sent it over

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I agree on liking QB at wing but we need to see him at C for an extended period before we can take an objective view on it.

Quenton Byfield was born to center, raised to center, grew up as a center, drafted to center and put on Kopitars wing to learn how to be a NHL center.

QB has incubated to return to center and the Kings have a top tier winger in K Fi ready to roll.

He must be put at center and left at center for the rest of his career.

The universe has spoken...

Last edited:

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Problem is, when you draft players sometimes it takes a long time before they contribute.

A guy we draft in 2027 might not be good until 2032 when Byfield is 30.

Building a contender is all about TIMING; everything coming together at the right time. BLuc has completely thrown off the timing of the organization.

Kopitar/Doughty too old. Byfield/Clarke too young. If you rebuild the next wave of youth will be entering their prime when Byfield and Clarke are exiting it.
Problem is Vlarke is not a 1 D and we don’t have the horses to have a window like the Kopitar/Doughty Kings, Stamkos/ Herman Lightning, Toews/Kane Blackhawks, Crosby/ Malkin Pens, or Mackinon/Makar Avs. I left off those orange and blue fellers because they haven’t won shit!

We need to do a proper rebuild if by field and Clarke are around great if not you don’t build another Black hole team around them. They can help the new core come into their own and be great senior players like Carter and Williams were.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Problem is Vlarke is not a 1 D and we don’t have the horses to have a window like the Kopitar/Doughty Kings, Stamkos/ Herman Lightning, Toews/Kane Blackhawks, Crosby/ Malkin Pens, or Mackinon/Makar Avs. I left off those orange and blue fellers because they haven’t won shit!

We need to do a proper rebuild if by field and Clarke are around great if not you don’t build another Black hole team around them. They can help the new core come into their own and be great senior players like Carter and Williams were.

Yay!! Build Buffalo, Detroit, or Ottawa.......

• Haha
Reactions: BaileyFan

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Quenton Byfield was born to center, raised to center, grew up as a center, drafted to center and put on Kopitars wing to learn how to be a NHL center.

QB has incubated to return to center and the Kings have a top tier winger in K Fi ready to roll.

He must be put at center and left at center for the rest of his career.

The universe has spoken...
Not just the universe has spoken, his skill set dictated it.
He has great stick handling skills and superb game vision and passing.
His shot is mediocre at best, a born play making center

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Gavrikov will walk next summer.

The Kings will either need to sign another UFA LHD man or find a way to get Kirsinov over here and skipping Ontario. Even then do the Kings want Spence or Clarke playing with another younger player.

Doughty, Anderson, Spence, Clarke and Edmundson are the Kings D for the next few years barring anything crazy happening. So they need a LHD.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Denis Gauthier was still a f***ing hitting machine. If Edmundson can do that I’ll be happy. I don’t think he’s mobile enough.
Yeah, but the guy was a black hole in every measurable way otherwise.

Didn’t defend well. Couldn’t break the puck out. Zero hockey sense. Offensive black hole. Was a net loss for the team in every way.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
All I require from Edmundson is okay but strong physical defensive play, and if Connor McDavid is revenge punking Mikey Anderson in the corner he goes over there and responds with force and fists. If your team is getting pushed around by Connor McDavid of all players with no response then you're doing hockey wrong. This army needed a couple of criminals.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, but the guy was a black hole in every measurable way otherwise.

Didn’t defend well. Couldn’t break the puck out. Zero hockey sense. Offensive black hole. Was a net loss for the team in every way.
He isn't supposed to help the team win - nobody short of a Josi could have done that - he is supposed to be a bridge player helping Clarke grow into an impact NHL defenseman without fear of getting his tongue ripped out. It's clearly following the Doughty-O'Donnell path.

Its an awfully expensive insurance policy, but if they commit to growth over short-term success, this could finally be a positive season.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Has there been any indication that he's strong defensively?
I don't think so, I just need okay defensively, he has shown that he hits people, punches them in the face, and crosschecks the shit out of them with their backs turned. So that is what I was alluding to seeing more of. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad