Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
For BLuc to get me on board with their direction/plans, I expect more than a first-round exit.

Frankly, if they get past the first round, I'm honestly not sure I'd be satisfied with a second round exit.
I think it depends a lot on what they do to get the team to the 2nd round.

There's a big difference between trading our 1st round pick and and exiting the 1st/2nd round of the playoffs verse holding onto our picks/prospects and ending up with the same result.

I want Luc gone either way, but my vitriol towards the front office will be heavily influenced by whether they choose to buy or sell.

Buying is pointless because the team has no chance of contending.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don’t know how you guys can predict with any conviction that BLuc are out if they miss the playoffs or lose in the first round again. If AEG had any intention of getting rid of them they would’ve done it this summer when they had a mandate and goodwill from most of the fanbase. If they could survive last season, they can survive anything.

My prediction is both will be quietly extended for 3 years midseason if the team is in a playoff spot. If they’re on the outside looking in, only 2 years.
Luc is prob not going anywhere.. But I think Blake is gone - not extended... I believe he got extra rope because he's sold as a team legend and were hoping he could do something right before his tenure was up. The most AEG/Luc thing would be to move Bergevin into his spot mid season.. because if you dont want to extend him, you cant just have him as a lame duck during the deadline period making key decisions... then they will pretend to do a GM search in the offseason while having already secretly given it to Bergevin.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hello, Avs fans stopping by. Was curious to know your thoughts on Englund? Do you anticipate that he’ll stick around or be waived?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hello, Avs fans stopping by. Was curious to know your thoughts on Englund? Do you anticipate that he’ll stick around or be waived?
Our hopes with Englund are "This is the Waive"

We assume all these D were brought in because Englund's play is as shitty as English food.

What will likely happen in all the D compete in training camp. It will probably shake up this way

Doughty Andersson
Gavrikov Spence
Edmunson Clarke
Burroughs
Grogu

Moverare will be the first call up and Englund will be dumped in San Pedro like tea in the 1700s

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Tough to say because they brought in like 8 equally redundant shitty players, all with their own unique Street Fighter shitty special abilities, like the 'fireball hot turnover' and the 'tiger punch (a downed opponent)'

Maybe he'll concuss them all and be the sole survivor

Enough of us made it echo all the way to the shiny towers of Hermosa Beach.

I actually bet it was more like

"hey if we have our tech team stream it, we don't have to be there and can keep surfing this amazing swell"

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Optimistic view is that they only played Englund 87 games last year because he was the only D with any sandpaper in his game on the roster so now he’s no longer needed after getting Edmundson and will be waived.

Realistic view IMO is that they are more likely than not going to try Englund on his off side to keep him on the roster so they can let Brandt Clarke “marinate” some more in the AHL to start the year.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Tough to say because they brought in like 8 equally redundant shitty players, all with their own unique Street Fighter shitty special abilities, like the 'fireball hot turnover' and the 'tiger punch (a downed opponent)'

I still believe that they were all brought in because he was so bad last weekend. He was worse than beans and toast

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Optimistic view is that they only played Englund 87 games last year because he was the only D with any sandpaper in his game on the roster so now he’s no longer needed after getting Edmundson and will be waived.

Realistic view IMO is that they are more likely than not going to try Englund on his off side to keep him on the roster so they can let Brandt Clarke “marinate” some more in the AHL to start the year.

I actually bet it was more like

"hey if we have our tech team stream it, we don't have to be there and can keep surfing this amazing swell"
Our hopes with Englund are "This is the Waive"

We assume all these D were brought in because Englund's play is as shitty as English food.

What will likely happen in all the D compete in training camp. It will probably shake up this way

Doughty Andersson
Gavrikov Spence
Edmunson Clarke
Burroughs
Grogu

Moverare will be the first call up and Englund will be dumped in San Pedro like tea in the 1700s

Thanks. He was with the Avs before and since the Avs are thrifty, could see the Avs pursuing him as a cheaper big body option before deciding what to do at the TDL.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Englund might be good if he's played in small doses.

Remember last year was the first time he ever played a full season.

He was good the first third of the season or so.

Could be a good 7th Dman. Let him and Burroughs compete for the spot in camp.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thanks. He was with the Avs before and since the Avs are thrifty, could see the Avs pursuing him as a cheaper big body option before deciding what to do at the TDL.

My REAL answer is it probably depends which version shows up to camp. He FAR exceeded expectations last year in the first half. Then he inexplicably and terribly fell apart around January thru the end of the year and was arguably the worst regular player in the NHL. It was that stark.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
My REAL answer is it probably depends which version shows up to camp. He FAR exceeded expectations last year in the first half. Then he inexplicably and terribly fell apart around January thru the end of the year and was arguably the worst regular player in the NHL. It was that stark.

The comment above might also be onto something. Someone on the Avs board was talking about how the pk in the regular season is different in that it’s about puck retrieval and skating the puck up the ice. So you can get away with smaller players. But once it’s the playoffs, it’s more of a slog and advantageous to guys with some physicality. So if you can bury him without him hurting you too much, the benefit in the end might be that his game is better suited for the playoffs.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The comment above might also be onto something. Someone on the Avs board was talking about how the pk in the regular season is different in that it’s about puck retrieval and skating the puck up the ice. So you can get away with smaller players. But once it’s the playoffs, it’s more of a slog and advantageous to guys with some physicality. So if you can bury him without him hurting you too much, the benefit in the end might be that his game is better suited for the playoffs.

Unfortunately he was our worst player in the playoffs as well, especially given his limited and sheltered role...still last on the team in CF% and a 39% xGF% when his freaking partner was 3rd on the team in CF% and a 67%. xGF%.

Relatedly expect a huge year from Jordan Spence!

He handled the physicality well and he's a good skater but he's just not smart enough/process the game fast enough to be consistently vs. higher level competition. And that was on a team that controlled a large amount of 5v5 play.

He made me a fan with his attitude and effort but he's just not a regular NHL player.

He's played 3 full AHL seasons and his game fell apart FAR before game 70, much less 82.

Yeah it's a marathon but I don't think that's a fair excuse.

I'd LOVE him as a #7 though.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

He did ok, but he absolutely was not a nitrous oxide boost

1726174998006.png

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

LD/RD, not really competing.

I don't see Kings trying defenders on their off, the way acquisitions were made.

Yup if Brandt hasn't improved his D, he could go down to AHL.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's played 3 full AHL seasons and his game fell apart FAR before game 70, much less 82.

His career high in NHL games before last year was 47.

A lot of Avs fans liked his game. And we liked his game for awhile too.

He's not trash. I just think he just needs a reduced role.

Yup if Brandt hasn't improved his D, he could go down to AHL.
He's not going to be in the AHL.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Unfortunately he was our worst player in the playoffs as well, especially given his limited and sheltered role...still last on the team in CF% and a 39% xGF% when his freaking partner was 3rd on the team in CF% and a 67%. xGF%.

Relatedly expect a huge year from Jordan Spence!

He handled the physicality well and he's a good skater but he's just not smart enough/process the game fast enough to be consistently vs. higher level competition. And that was on a team that controlled a large amount of 5v5 play.

He made me a fan with his attitude and effort but he's just not a regular NHL player.

I’m betting Burroughs has the edge on the 7th D battle as he can apparently play both sides and is probably a better player anyway…. Unless he starts, with Clarke in Ontario (I think that’s unlikely though). I agree with your assessment on Englund though.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

You cannot plan on Edmundson playing more than 60 games, which works in Englund's favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad