Another upcoming season for Jagr in Kladno. Said lost 10 kg.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m actually surprised more Euro players don’t just keep going like this at lower levels.

I wouldn’t do it in North America since the ECHL on down is still pretty physical and you’d have jerks taking runs at you to make a name for themselves but in Europe you have a lighter schedule, less travel, better facilities and a generally less physical style this would be my choice if I was healthy enough to do so.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I’m actually surprised more Euro players don’t just keep going like this at lower levels.

I wouldn’t do it in North America since the ECHL on down is still pretty physical and you’d have jerks taking runs at you to make a name for themselves but in Europe you have a lighter schedule, less travel, better facilities and a generally less physical style this would be my choice if I was healthy enough to do so.

I guess they just prefer spending their millions of dollars and unlimited time with their families instead.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't want to take anything away from Jagr, and it is a different era, but the fact Jagr playing pro hockey at his age is so incredible makes the feat of Gordie Howe playing in the NHL at the same age mind blowing.

Jagr could probably play in the NHL when Gordie Howe did it. The game was slow enough back then to make it work. Not the case in 2024.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I don't want to take anything away from Jagr, and it is a different era, but the fact Jagr playing pro hockey at his age is so incredible makes the feat of Gordie Howe playing in the NHL at the same age mind blowing.

The tempo back when Gordie played was lesser and he managed despite not skating and turning quick.

Jagr could probably play in the NHL when Gordie Howe did it. The game was slow enough back then to make it work. Not the case in 2024.

The introduction of the short shift game changed everything. Previous to the mid-80s, players had to pace themselves because shifts were much longer. This led to less intense and slower game play. Plus modern training is on an entirely different level from pre-1990.

There's just no chance a 50+ year old plays in today's NHL; Howe, Jagr or otherwise.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
The introduction of the short shift game changed everything. Previous to the mid-80s, players had to pace themselves because shifts were much longer. This led to less intense and slower game play. Plus modern training is on an entirely different level from pre-1990.

There's just no chance a 50+ year old plays in today's NHL; Howe, Jagr or otherwise.
Anyhow, Jagr is very agile/quick for being 50+. I have watched former NHL:ers in their late 30s and mid 40s skate much worse than Jagr.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK

This isn't how I remember '80s hockey. Perhaps it's because I wasn't a star that it was balls out short shifts for me. Do you have any stats or links to back up "players had to pace themselves because shifts were much longer."?

Reactions: Faterson

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This isn't how I remember '80s hockey. Perhaps it's because I wasn't a star that it was balls out short shifts for me. Do you have any stats or links to back up "players had to pace themselves because shifts were much longer."?

There are several good threads on the topic.
Frequency of line changes
The Short Shift Game and Shorter 1970's/80's Careers
The Short Shift

A similar phenomenon exists in MLB. Back in the day it was the norm for starting pitchers to go 7, 8, 9 innings. A starter needed to pace himself to achieve this on any regular basis.
On the contrary pitch count is strictly monitored today with a rotation of relievers coming in around the 5-6 inning, all fresh.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Since the Czech Republic can't muster a full roster of NHL players you would've had to pause your domestic league for a tournament you don't see a dime from.
Think you missed the joke.

But your point is also wrong. We could've filled out roster with AHL players that are affiliated with NHL clubs (and I'd add Kulich as a forward if he is in AHL)

We have more than enough NHL forwards. We have more than enough NHL goalies.

We lack NHL D.. specifically 3 short.

Hronek, gudas and rutta.

Add in Spacek, svozil and jiricek.

Full out roster with Kral and hovorka (maybe Zboril if he cracks NHL or goes to AHL but I think he ends up in Europe)

Or

It's not iihf.. could use xhekaj and Ludwig as they have Czech citizenship.

Hronek gudas
Rutta jiricek
Svozil Spacek
Kral

So it was possible. And no I don't think we had a chance at winning it. But I also think the games would've been very close and competitive and not 10-0 type blowouts.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m about Jagr’s age and I still play a few days a week, one league is more competitive with 20’s guys and Jags is absolutely an inspiration to me. If I had a hockey locker I’d have a pic of Heather Locklear in a bikini up there right next to a pic of the mullet that roared. Maybe one of him doing squats showing off dat ass.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I guess they just prefer spending their millions of dollars and unlimited time with their families instead.
My dad retired at 57 in the 90's.

He doesn't know how the internet works, can't search for things, and still uses paper for bills and banking. He doesn't know how to use the iPad I bought him (outside of clicking the links I made into icons). He can't type.

In the last 25 years he lost the ability to communicate in english. I have to make all calls to government agencies for him, i have to buy his tickets for him, make his appointments for him, and I live on the other side of the country.

His brain barely works. Has the memory of a goldfish and has been brutally depessed for the last 20 like he has no meaning.

I don't think a 35 year old should retire. Your life needs to have meaning or it will get boring and purposeless really quickly.

My dad's at the age where most of his friend and family are dead. There is nobody who can relate to him, or he relates to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
lost 22 lbs? Ovi shouldve trained with him this off season ;)

He doesn't know how the internet works, can't search for things, and still uses paper for bills and banking. He doesn't know how to use the iPad I bought him (outside of clicking the links I made into icons). He can't type.

In the last 25 years he lost the ability to communicate in english. I have to make all calls to government agencies for him, i have to buy his tickets for him, make his appointments for him, and I live on the other side of the country.

His brain barely works. Has the memory of a goldfish and has been brutally depessed for the last 20 like he has no meaning.

I don't think a 35 year old should retire. Your life needs to have meaning or it will get boring and purposeless really quickly.

My dad's at the age where most of his friend and family are dead. There is nobody who can relate to him, or he relates to.

That's a sad tale. Wishing you and your father the best going forward.

Reactions: BLNY

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

sorry to hear about your dad. However, I feel like the corollary to your story is my dad, who worked into his mid-60s until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and was forced to retire. If he could've retired a decade earlier, perhaps he would have enjoyed the remaining time in a more fulfilling way than being stapled to a desk for 40 hours a week.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad