Another sign that hockey is declining in Canada, the Hlinka-Gretzky cup did not sellout..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's a meanginless tournament in the dog days of summer, who gives a shit.

The Olympics were going on, EDM's NHL Team was coming off a cup run, people had no interest in it.

But sky is falling, I heard hockey rinks and hockey teams across Canada are collapsing as we speak.........

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's summertime, people dont want spend their day or night in a hockey arena to watch what is essentially an exhibition tournament.

Put it in a smaller city that has less going on. Maybe a major junior powerhouse city.

Reactions: Sniper99

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Most mainstream hockey watching canadians do not give a solitary f*** about the Hlinka and never have as far as I know.

18f982365de8a67d5bdd657b9ba1672e.gif

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Most mainstream hockey watching canadians do not give a solitary f*** about the Hlinka and never have as far as I know.

18f982365de8a67d5bdd657b9ba1672e.gif
As someone from mainstream Canada that watches hockey, this is correct. In terms of international hockey i only really care about best on best. I sometimes care about the U21 WJC but generally speaking i dont care about JR hockey.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As someone from mainstream Canada that watches hockey, this is correct. In terms of international hockey i only really care about best on best. I sometimes care about the U21 WJC but generally speaking i dont care about JR hockey.
WJC is U20

Reactions: 1989

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
It could have been poorly marketed, but look at the time of year. People are on vacation, at their cottage and watching hockey in the summer is probably not on the top of their list. Even so, surprisingly there were people complaining that the SCF went far too late into the early summer.

Now, as an aside, I think even if it was somewhat marketed well, many people won't tune in because it's not the truly "best of the best", almost at NHL level or NHL level players, unlike the World Juniors, which happens during the hockey season, during the winter at a time where people are off and sitting at home with friends and family. People are already in a hockey spectator mindset then. I doubt it is at the same level in the middle of the summer.

Perhaps there is even a novelty component that wears off over time. Like all the outdoor games, but those still feature full roster NHL players, and fans look to see their favourites there.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Like some others have mentioned, it's summer time and people are on vacation. That's another thing, some people think that Canadians are expected to eat, drink, sleep and breathe hockey and if they don't the game in is jeopardy.

The NBA summer league isnt exactly breaking ratings records in the US, nor is the AFL. Are those games dying in America?

Contrary to what Fox News and American sitcoms may tell you, there are, in fact, other things going on up here aside from hockey.....

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe stop having a winter sport tournament in the middle of summer.

Crazy idea, I know. Sorry.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
An immense amount of Canadians watch WJC. Hlinka is definitely lower on the scale.
I never said they didnt, I said i sometimes follow it after saying i prefer best on best then called a U21 tournament, was corrected and said “ see? That’s much i pay attention to it”. I wasn’t speaking for Canadians, i was speaking for myself.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't see the big deal.. it's a summer tournament over a month before the season starts. It's August and the weather is nice, I don't really see why there should be great crowds for a very minor, non-IIHF hockey tournament.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Is the Hlinka Gretzky tournament usually a big draw in Canada? It was a European tournament for decades and I honestly didn't even know that they had started hosting it in Alberta. I guess that explains the addition of Gretzky's name.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
There was a prospects basketball game held somewhere this year, only a few hundred people went. Since it wasn't popular, does that mean that basketball is losing popularity?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Was it stay-to-play? That must have been the problem.

Count me as someone who could not possibly care less about this exhibition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad