Another sign that hockey is declining in Canada, the Hlinka-Gretzky cup did not sellout..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
It wasn't marketed at all. I live just a couple hours North of Edmonton, have been in Edmonton a lot over the last month for work and various reasons...

I quite literally didn't know until this thread it was even happening in Edmonton, let alone when.
Goddamn there are a lot of Avs fans in and around Edmonton lol
I guess same with Wings, as I was one of them.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Start hosting these tournaments in cities where it's a big deal. Sault Ste Marie had the U-17s 10 years or so back and it was a major event in the city. Tournaments lack personality when you continue to just go for the biggest venue and for corporate sponsorship. Not that it will change because it's all about $$$... just don't complain when stands are empty.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
As mentioned above, I've personally attended two Hlinka tournaments in the past, and watched games that did not include Canada, I am in Edmonton, and I heard about the tournament while seeing a replay of the gold medal game on Monday afternoon, would've really liked to of attended, poorly marketed,

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't think you could put less effort in promoting the tournament. And that article is awful because they weren't even selling tickets on the side they showed pictures of. The tickets available were almost all sold for the final.

8p0clo.jpg

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Saying that it’s attendance is due to Edmontons recent playoff is just a terrible excuse. The real problem is that they held this event in the middle of summer in a smaller market and did no promotion for it. Quite a few people didn’t even know it was here until it had already started

Reactions: Voight

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Even if the promotions were better for it, I dont think it would do much better.

August in Edmonton, do we want to be on a patio in +25 or go and watch hockey inside when we do that for 6 months of winter? Jeez I think the answer is pretty easy there.

There maybe a decline, but got nothing to do with shitty attendance for a hockey tournament in August.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad