News Article: Another possible waiver wire pickup, Boychuk? (Pens Claim, Post #38)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
The when Viz and Bailey show up? we send down Cizikas and MacDonald? Not sure I would want to do that. I mean I would much prefer Boulton and Reasoner get cut loose, but that's not happening.

Finley, Boulton, and Reasoner should be out the door. I know you are correct about the NYI having to keep the vet players but please explain to me why?
Do we get screwed salary wise if we release REasoner who is free after this year?
Boulton is on a one way deal one and done also

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Finley, Boulton, and Reasoner should be out the door. I know you are correct about the NYI having to keep the vet players but please explain to me why?
Do we get screwed salary wise if we release REasoner who is free after this year?
Boulton is on a one way deal one and done also

I think a team that needs a guy who's decent on faceoffs would pick up Reasoner on waivers. If Garth and Cappy are serious about the playoffs Reasoner and Boulton would be easy cuts, especially Boulton.

One thing that Garth should learn from the Devil's Rejects ( Mottau, Pandolfo, Rolston and Boulton) is that if Lou Lamoriello doesn't think you belong in the NHL anymore you probably shouldn't be there.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The other guys the Isles picked up never really had an extended go of it at the NHL level. Boychuck's had 70+ games in the NHL already.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
I think Moulson would be the same player he is today if he had not joined up with John Tavares. I just think without John Tavares he would have never got a chance at top line minutes in the NHL to show he belonged in the NHL.

Good point. He'd probably do horribly if some team just gave him a chance in a third line checking role or a fourth line energy role. Not his style at all. Truthfully he has only one skill, but it happens to be flat out scoring goals.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was off Tavares' line very briefly maybe two seasons ago? And he continued to score. Obviously Tavares helps him get more goals than he would otherwise, but I think a player like Moulson who just has a nose for the net would score his share of goals no matter what. I think Cappy said during a Bridgeport game that Persson reminds him a bit of Moulson. Having severely overpaid for AHL Live this year and watched the Sound Tigers, it's actually a decent comparison. Persson can't really skate like the wind and isn't always dazzling you with skill, but he just always seems to be around at the right time to finish a play.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good point. He'd probably do horribly if some team just gave him a chance in a third line checking role or a fourth line energy role. Not his style at all. Truthfully he has only one skill, but it happens to be flat out scoring goals.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was off Tavares' line very briefly maybe two seasons ago? And he continued to score. Obviously Tavares helps him get more goals than he would otherwise, but I think a player like Moulson who just has a nose for the net would score his share of goals no matter what. I think Cappy said during a Bridgeport game that Persson reminds him a bit of Moulson. Having severely overpaid for AHL Live this year and watched the Sound Tigers, it's actually a decent comparison. Persson can't really skate like the wind and isn't always dazzling you with skill, but he just always seems to be around at the right time to finish a play.

That was 2009/10. He slumped twice while off Tavares' line. Rotowire mentioned 10 pts in 28 games, and low goal totals. When with Tavares his points pick up considerably.

That's part of why he is considered incomplete and why some of us wonder what would happen if you put someone with a more complete package next to John. It could be that both that player and Tavares would get even more points.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Lots of teams ahead of us on waiver claims now, right?

Wouldnt be shocked to see Washington grab him. Keeps him away from divisional foe and they could use some help.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I know in normal seasons they use previous season standings until Nov 1st. Not sure what it is this year, but I have to believe last seasons standings are still being used, at least this week.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
you guys do realize that in about 2 seasons maybe three the Islanders are going to have many prospects that are on the fence between NHL and AHL. Snow will have to try and sneak a few threw waivers and we are going to lose some. The Islanders have way to many prospects that are going to be ready or close to ready at the same time. Let's just hope Snow keeps the right ones...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
How did pitts get him? The guy would have to pass Columbus first and their forwards look like an ECHL team...Not to mention Calgary who only has 3 points so far.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I asked when the waiver order list would be reset on the main board and no one knew.

I am thinking the Isles passed on taking Tiny Tim, but maybe we can snag the next small fry to add to our band of Garden Gnomes.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I asked when the waiver order list would be reset on the main board and no one knew.

I am thinking the Isles passed on taking Tiny Tim, but maybe we can snag the next small fry to add to our band of Garden Gnomes.

it used to be in order of the team's finish the prior year, then re-adjusted every 20 games throughout the year, so that would be every 12 games this year if the rule is still in place (I assume it is)

So at the 12 game mark, the Isles claim would reflect the current standings, rather than last year.
---
I thought Boychuk was great in the WJC (the year JT won MVP) but his pro career hasn't been great. Interesting to see the Pens make a claim, a team that has two superstar centres and pretty weak wingers. Pitts is one of those weird teams where it seems like any winger would be in heaven for a chance to play there - but chemistry, when playing with elite players, is far more important than pure talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad