Annoying TV commercials during Stanley Cup playoffs - US and Canada

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Those super-obnoxious Questtrade ads still going strong, averaging at least one every single commercial break on Sportsnet last night. :shakehead

Also, that "Roz and Mocha" jingle ad has been around since before Christmas and for some reason still getting airtime. Not sure how or why anyone decided to promote a Toronto radio show to this extent, but damn is it persistent.

Reactions: Summer Rose

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I find it hard to believe that playing a 40-year-old Bronski Beat song is going to get me to switch over to Scotiabank. Bronski Beat are richer than they think with the residuals from all those times the ad plays.

My Best-Carey
What's funny is that the premise of the original Smalltown Boy song is antithetic to what Scotiabank is trying to promote. I loved that song in the 80s and stupid Scotiabank has just ruined it for me.

What I personally don't like are how politically correct these commercials are - it's like these companies are deliberately trying to make people believe there are no Caucasians in existence, and that everyone is in an interracial relationship.

I am saying this being a visible minority guy myself, who takes issue with these companies trying to push a narrative that is not reflected in reality. I don't like discrimination period, whether it is directly or in reverse. Two wrongs don't make a right.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I still laugh at how tone deaf the Boston Pizza commercial asking Canadians to cheer for each others teams is.

Like asking a Devils fan to cheer for the Rangers or a Sharks fan to cheer for the Kings

I mean based on what I read around HF Boards, they aren't far off at all. There's some alliance of Canadian team fans rooting for other ones once theirs is out with the goal of bringing the Cup "home."

So they may as well have gotten that idea from HF Boards where Leafs fans root for the Canucks, Habs fans root for the Oilers, and I've seen years with Flames/Oilers fans rooting for the other team solely because they're a Canadian team.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I mean based on what I read around HF Boards, they aren't far off at all. There's some alliance of Canadian team fans rooting for other ones once theirs is out with the goal of bringing the Cup "home."

So they may as well have gotten that idea from HF Boards where Leafs fans root for the Canucks, Habs fans root for the Oilers, and I've seen years with Flames/Oilers fans rooting for the other team solely because they're a Canadian team.

I feel like the whole "Canada's Team" thing is a false narrative that gets pushed every year by the media here.

Like every hockey fan in Canada is supposedly rallying around the idea that that Cup "belongs here" or some crap - despite the fact that every single season the Cup is won by an American team comprised mostly of Canadians anyway, and every single season is followed by a summer that sees the Cup make regular trips up here with those aforementioned Canadian players. :laugh:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Not sure where you saw that, those fans are in the extreme extreme minority.

If any Canadian fans are cheering for the Canucks, it's to eliminate the Oilers and then we will cheer against them next round

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I feel like the whole "Canada's Team" thing is a false narrative that gets pushed every year by the media here.

Like every hockey fan in Canada is supposedly rallying around the idea that that Cup "belongs here" or some crap - despite the fact that every single season the Cup is won by an American team comprised mostly of Canadians anyway, and every single season is followed by a summer that sees the Cup make regular trips up here with those aforementioned Canadian players. :laugh:

That's what was always funny to me. Mostly Canadian teams, though based in the US, wins the Cup seems like a win for Canada. It definitely runs in the media and in comment sections across the internet.

I don't live in Canada so I'm sure I'm missing some context, I just go based on what this site has and what I read online.

Not sure where you saw that, those fans are in the extreme extreme minority.

If any Canadian fans are cheering for the Canucks, it's to eliminate the Oilers and then we will cheer against them next round

This site is definitely one place I see it every year. I see numerous fans from Canada stating they want a Canadian team to win and don't care who it is. Additionally I'll read comments on websites echoing the same sentiment.

Like I said above, I believe anyone who says that's not actually the case, especially if you live in the area. I'm just going based on what I've read online.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Easy two for me

1: What a pro wants
2. That annoying “dont let me go” apple iPhone commercial
Same, but what's crazy is i have a coworker who said he likes both of those commercials but thinks they've just been played too much. I hated both from first viewing. I hate still pictures with moving mouths and the song is just awful to listen to. I like dachshunds though.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know what's more annoying, that Chipotle commercial they keep playing, or the fact that the bowl they show at the end costs like $30 these days.
Is guacamole $20 in California? I get Chipotle 2-3 times a week because the food options around work are awful, and if I get a chicken bowl it's $9.

When i get double steak and guac it's $18.

The commercials suck bad though.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
The iPhone 15 ad with the grating, nails-on-chalkboard, heavy autotune-effect singing.

That lame, soul-destroying shit was interesting exactly 1 time in 1 song back in the 90's, but has now been a pox on audio for 30 years and if, for the good of humanity, I was given a time machine and licence to go back and kill three 20th century figures before they could wreak their havoc on the world I'd save an entire magazine of bullets for whoever the asshole was that first applied that technology to music.

I can't believe the "computer-voice" is still a thing. Music is supposed to change. It sucked then and it sucks now. Move on dammit!

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why do they pay Steve Buschemi and Henry Winkler to be pidgeons or Steve Martin and Martin Short to not be funny in commercials?

Nov 1, 2011
I can’t get over the board ads being replaced on TV by the network.

Seems rediculous and too fake.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sometime, it's more interesting the game. as a Vegas fan whose team doesn't often turn up,,,, trust me I know this :laugh:
Naqvi Injury LaaaAAaAwwww
1000060148.jpg

(Squidward's face is a perfect representation of the Vegas fanbase every time the VGK broadcast would do a stoppage advert with Naqvi's terrible ass jingle)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad