Proposal: (ANH/TOR) Helleson for Liljegren

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Anaheim Ducks
Timothy Liljegren (2y @ $3.0m cap hit)

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Drew Helleson (ELC, 2025 waiver eligibility, RHD prospect)

Anaheim moves on from a D prospect that has been surpassed by younger better prospects. They would have to find a place for him on their blueline next summer or risk losing him to waivers. He hasn't shown that he's on track to become an impact player in the NHL. It seems like he's the odd guy out on Anaheim's blueline, with Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, Solberg, Luneau, Warren etc forming the future Ducks blueline. They bring in a stop-gap young-ish veteran D in his mid-20s who could maybe turn it around a little bit with the Ducks? Could possibly develop into a half-decent trade piece 1 or 1.5 years from now? Or not. You're not giving up that much for him. Turning him into a Helleson-level asset or better is possible, but not a sure thing.

Toronto moves on from an NHL D that never worked out as planned as is probably nearing the end of his time in Toronto. This trade would be done along with another trade to bring a new RD in... probably Whitecloud from Vegas. In exchange for Liljegren, Toronto opens up Liljegren's cap space and adds a RD prospect that is one year away from waivers. Helleson could maybe be a 3rd pair guy on the Leafs one year from now, or he could be a 7D press box guy. He could even be on the waiver wire. Nothing is for certain there, but TOR gets Liljegren's cap space at least, which they can use to pay another RD instead of Liljegren.

Fowler - Mintyukov
( Zellweger / LaCombe ) - Gudas
Dumoulin - Liljegren
7D = Vaakanainen
first callup = Zellweger or LaCombe
waive Vaakanainen if necessary at any point

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - (new guy traded in... Whitecloud?)
OEL - Benoit
7D = Hakanpaa
8D = Timmins
first callup = Niemela or Helleson
waive Timmins if necessary at any point

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think Liljegren fits a current or future need for the Ducks. Any veteran D they acquire, should be hard nosed defenders who can compliment their young guys.

Fowler, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Gudas, Dumoulin, Lacombe, Vaakanainen + Luneau depending on his health situation. It's not an elite group by any stretch but there's also zero need for Lil there.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Is Drew Helleson even an NHLer? I don’t see him having much value.

Your reasoning doesn’t really make sense other than “Toronto cap space”.

Toronto could’ve just walked away from Liljegren if they didn’t think he’s worth what they just paid him. He’s actually a decent D and still developing.

They are essentially giving him away for basically nothing in this scenario.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Liljegren is not the type of guy they need. Value wise its fine obviously, but I would rather make a trade where we get a guy that actually fits the need.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think the pendulum has swung too far on Liljegren. Way too far. And I'm no Toronto fan. He's a good, if finesse-oriented, defenseman who is young and coming off a down year but who was very good the year before. His contract is fine.

You are basically asking TML to cap-dump Liljegren in this trade. Helleson has very little value...he's a JAG, a fringe guy who maybe is slightly higher on a depth chart not as loaded with young talent as Anaheim but that's about it.

Liljegren is certainly not going to be cap-dumped.

Ledge And Dairy

Liljegren is not the type of guy they need. Value wise its fine obviously, but I would rather make a trade where we get a guy that actually fits the need.
Huh why? I mean he's not a big guy that will go out there and flatten people but he's a 2-way defenseman and right handed. Seems to me like he fits the need.

This is a terrible trade for Toronto

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Huh why? I mean he's not a big guy that will go out there and flatten people but he's a 2-way defenseman and right handed. Seems to me like he fits the need.

This is a terrible trade for Toronto
I never said thats what they need.

They need a defensively focused guy to put with Zellweger.
Robertson + what for Vatrano ?
Vatrano had 10 more goals then Robertson had points. The + better be a large one.

Seriously though he really isnt a fit. The Ducks need RH top 6 forwards and a depth RHD. Downgrading from Vatrano to Robertson makes no sense. Especially when Vatrano will fetch a really nice return at the deadline if he plays the way he has the last 2 years for the Ducks.

Ledge And Dairy

I never said thats what they need.

They need a defensively focused guy to put with Zellweger.
What do you think a 2-way defenseman is? If all you want them to do is block shots and ice the puck then pair him with Dumoulin. If you want a guy who can defend and help transition the puck up ice then Liljegren is fine. Is Liljegren one of the elite shutdown defenseman? No but he just turned 25 and most dmen don't enter their prime until that age, especially defensively.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
What do you think a 2-way defenseman is? If all you want them to do is block shots and ice the puck then pair him with Dumoulin. If you want a guy who can defend and help transition the puck up ice then Liljegren is fine
I think you and I disagree on Liljegren's defensive capabilities.

Look dont get offended. Obviously this is super tilted in favor of the Ducks, but I just dont see Toronto giving up on a guy they just signed, and I don't see PV wanting to pair with Zellweger.

Maybe Im wrong.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I cannot imagine there's any appetite for the Leafs to trade Liljegren for a 23 year old defenceman with 3 games of NHL experience.

Given where the Leafs are at from a cap perspective, the only realistic deals I see for Liljegren would likely be around a similar-aged centre.

Think Morgan Frost, Barrett Hayton, Joe Veleno, etc. Somebody that can come in, be a #3 centre for a little bit less than Liljegren costs, and have upside as a #2 C a little down the road.

Beyond that, with Hakanpaa's status so questionable, Liljegren seems to be a pretty firm member of the top 6.

Maybe something around Connor Timmins for Drew Helleson?

Toronto gets a guy they can skip waivers with. Anaheim gets a guy that is a little further along in the development curve, and has NHL experience.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What do you think a 2-way defenseman is? If all you want them to do is block shots and ice the puck then pair him with Dumoulin. If you want a guy who can defend and help transition the puck up ice then Liljegren is fine. Is Liljegren one of the elite shutdown defenseman? No but he just turned 25 and most dmen don't enter their prime until that age, especially defensively.

Anaheim has no need to enquire about Liljegren, and Toronto wouldn't be shopping him around just after signing him to a multi year deal. Basically zero percent chance that these two teams are discussing this player right now, there's no need to get into a big drawn out discussion about a proposal that has no logic.

Last edited:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
This. Helleson is meh, but this trade doesn’t really accomplish much for the Ducks.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think the pendulum has swung too far on Liljegren. Way too far. And I'm no Toronto fan. He's a good, if finesse-oriented, defenseman who is young and coming off a down year but who was very good the year before. His contract is fine.

You are basically asking TML to cap-dump Liljegren in this trade. Helleson has very little value...he's a JAG, a fringe guy who maybe is slightly higher on a depth chart not as loaded with young talent as Anaheim but that's about it.

Liljegren is certainly not going to be cap-dumped.

It's not even a down year. When he was given a chance later in the season he excelled.

The facts just are Keefe never trusted him and when the playoff came around he would sit him regardless of how he did when he was in.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
to Anaheim Ducks
Timothy Liljegren (2y @ $3.0m cap hit)

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Drew Helleson (ELC, 2025 waiver eligibility, RHD prospect)

Anaheim moves on from a D prospect that has been surpassed by younger better prospects. They would have to find a place for him on their blueline next summer or risk losing him to waivers. He hasn't shown that he's on track to become an impact player in the NHL. It seems like he's the odd guy out on Anaheim's blueline, with Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, Solberg, Luneau, Warren etc forming the future Ducks blueline. They bring in a stop-gap young-ish veteran D in his mid-20s who could maybe turn it around a little bit with the Ducks? Could possibly develop into a half-decent trade piece 1 or 1.5 years from now? Or not. You're not giving up that much for him. Turning him into a Helleson-level asset or better is possible, but not a sure thing.

Toronto moves on from an NHL D that never worked out as planned as is probably nearing the end of his time in Toronto. This trade would be done along with another trade to bring a new RD in... probably Whitecloud from Vegas. In exchange for Liljegren, Toronto opens up Liljegren's cap space and adds a RD prospect that is one year away from waivers. Helleson could maybe be a 3rd pair guy on the Leafs one year from now, or he could be a 7D press box guy. He could even be on the waiver wire. Nothing is for certain there, but TOR gets Liljegren's cap space at least, which they can use to pay another RD instead of Liljegren.

Fowler - Mintyukov
( Zellweger / LaCombe ) - Gudas
Dumoulin - Liljegren
7D = Vaakanainen
first callup = Zellweger or LaCombe
waive Vaakanainen if necessary at any point

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - (new guy traded in... Whitecloud?)
OEL - Benoit
7D = Hakanpaa
8D = Timmins
first callup = Niemela or Helleson
waive Timmins if necessary at any point
ANA should not give this guy away for nothing, because he has size, which you can not teach; if he has sufficient skating etc ability there is a place for him in the NHL. Where, and how high his potential is, remains to be seen, but there is interest in him NOW -- at correct price/currency, of course..

NYR would be interested in slightly over market value [which as noted above is not amply high]
or
possibly in a package w/Vatrano, depending on price.

Will wait to hear what Ducks say their needs are/suggested offer(s)...

This. Helleson is meh, but this trade doesn’t really accomplish much for the Ducks.
Yes, except I wouldn't say meh.
I would say meh + is fair.
So again, it is not the player as he sits now, it is the potential upside

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad