Angels hire Matt Vasgersian as their new PBP announcer

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
ESPN loses another good play by play guy. First Shulman and now Vasgersian.

If only there was a guy out there that could do baseball and also help you with your return to covering the NHL..

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Do A's fans hate Angels like Giants fans hate the Dodgers?
not really

aside from 02-06 and 2014, there hasn't been a time where both teams have been playoff contenders at the same time. when the angels were winning all those division titles in the late 00s, the A's were awful. and when the A's were a playoff team in the early 10s and in the last few years, the angels were bad. and they really don't have any unlikeable guys like the asstros do. can't hate on trout, pujols, or ohtani

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Unrelated, but how the f*** does Arod have contracts with both ESPN and Fox Sports?

Also, does this mean Vasgersian’s contracts with MLB Network and ESPN are voided?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Seems like a good get. Wouldn’t say he’s best in the business but for sure better than what LAAAA had before and he’s definitely a solid pbp guy

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Also, does this mean Vasgersian’s contracts with MLB Network and ESPN are voided?
No, he's still going to do the ESPN games and Daron Sutton will call games when Vasgersian isn't available.

I can tell you that Angels fans would root for the A’s if it was a Dodgers-A’s World Series.
This long time Angels fan would be rooting for the Dodgers. The A's have been my least favorite team since the bash bros days. The '88 world series is still my favorite sports moment for a team I don't normally root for.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
No, he's still going to do the ESPN games and Daron Sutton will call games when Vasgersian isn't available.

This long time Angels fan would be rooting for the Dodgers. The A's have been my least favorite team since the bash bros days. The '88 world series is still my favorite sports moment for a team I don't normally root for.
that's interesting. is it because of the whole "division rivalry" thing? because i can't really think of any players the A's have had over the years who were truly hateable

wasn't old enough for the bash bros era, but i can't imagine those two being hateable at the time either

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
that's interesting. is it because of the whole "division rivalry" thing? because i can't really think of any players the A's have had over the years who were truly hateable

wasn't old enough for the bash bros era, but i can't imagine those two being hateable at the time either
Canseco was always hateable. I never liked Ricky Henderson much either and Denis Eckersley is probably my least favorite baseball player of all time. For a teenage Angels fan, rooting for a bad team in the same division, they were easy to dislike.

These days I can't say the A's are my least favorite team. But between being a division rival, the natural so cal/no cal rivalry and lingering hatred from my youth, I could never root for them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Canseco was always hateable. I never liked Ricky Henderson much either and Denis Eckersley is probably my least favorite baseball player of all time. For a teenage Angels fan, rooting for a bad team in the same division, they were easy to dislike.

These days I can't say the A's are my least favorite team. But between being a division rival, the natural so cal/no cal rivalry and lingering hatred from my youth, I could never root for them.
i can see why henderson was easy to hate considering how he played the game

i can't say i've ever "hated" the angels. they've just never had any guys who you could hate on for anything aside from being good. i remember rooting hard for them in 02 to beat SF

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
i can see why henderson was easy to hate considering how he played the game

i can't say i've ever "hated" the angels. they've just never had any guys who you could hate on for anything aside from being good. i remember rooting hard for them in 02 to beat SF

Ive always had a soft spot for the A’s ever since I was a kid growing up. Fun fact, my dad came to Canada in 1972 and during his early years in North America he told me long ago that his fascination with baseball was due to the Oakland A’s being in the World Series year after year.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why is his name so familiar. Did he ever do national telecast?

He's been either announcing or 'hosting' 989 Studios/San Diego Studio games since the original PlayStation. I was familiar with his voice coming out of the demo center at Best Buy long before I knew he was a baseball announcer (like hell I was going to pay actual money for a 989 game).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad