Recalled/Assigned: Andrey Pedan re-assisnged to Utica (Jan 12)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think the Sbisa case is a bit different because Ehlers is a rookie and he isn't exactly a heavyweight. It was within the confines of the rules but I think it is a lot easier for tempers to flare when someone singles out one of your young players. Much like Prust's reaction to the Virtanen fight. I'd say they are on a similar level as star players with respect to having a bit of an "untouchable" status.

Yeah, nothing wrong with defending your rookies, but Peluso was so out of the league for Sbisa. That was not even a fair fight. Even Ladd or Stafford would have been a better fight. Good on Sbisa for not turtling though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pedan's turn to take the standard Utica Comets seat in the press-box....I'm beginning to think a d-man call-up is like an Expedia upgrade....come to VanCity...collect an NHL pay-cheque. practice with the team and watch a few games from one of the best seats in the house....sort of like a two-week bus-man's holiday...meh:shakehead

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Pedan's turn to take the standard Utica Comets seat in the press-box....I'm beginning to think a d-man call-up is like an Expedia upgrade....come to VanCity...collect an NHL pay-cheque. practice with the team and watch a few games from one of the best seats in the house....sort of like a two-week bus-man's holiday...meh:shakehead

Although I do agree that calling them up just so they can sit in the pressbox is dumb, its not all bad. At least management is acknowledging that Pedan has been playing good hockey. Its a reward sorta thing

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think the Sbisa case is a bit different because Ehlers is a rookie and he isn't exactly a heavyweight. It was within the confines of the rules but I think it is a lot easier for tempers to flare when someone singles out one of your young players. Much like Prust's reaction to the Virtanen fight. I'd say they are on a similar level as star players with respect to having a bit of an "untouchable" status.

Did anyone fight Larsson when he smoked McCann a couple weeks back?

I mean I hated the hit at the time but being 100% rational about it now it wasn't something he should have "had" to fight for. Same applies to Sbisa IMO.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Seems that way. Don't really get the logic and for those that care about such things, messes up Utica.

Funny thing is that Pedan was playing better a couple of weeks ago than he is now.

Good to let him get his feet wet but I doubt you learn much about a player in practice. Allow him a game and at least you can define better what he has to work on. And if he plays well , you may actually want to keep him up.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, it's Benning's authority to decide who to call up.
As for who plays....that's on WD

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What the heck are they doing? Just giving everyone a day or two of NHL pay?

Seems bizarre. If you aren't going to play a guy then call up the vet (Biega or Fedun) and let them be with the team while the youth gets minutes. That's what a veteran in the #8 spot is for when the other guys really aren't ready.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
What the heck are they doing? Just giving everyone a day or two of NHL pay?

Seems bizarre. If you aren't going to play a guy then call up the vet (Biega or Fedun) and let them be with the team while the youth gets minutes. That's what a veteran in the #8 spot is for when the other guys really aren't ready.

I'm sure they don't mind. They make like ten times the pay while they're with the big team. Less stress related to finances can't hurt their development.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm sure they don't mind. They make like ten times the pay while they're with the big team. Less stress related to finances can't hurt their development.

I'm sure they don't mind but it doesn't seem to me to be a typical way of doing things. This is why you have guys like Biega on the farm. Especially because they don't seem keen on playing these guys. If they did the Corrado thing the one year where he was called up only to be in the lineup it wouldn't seem so strange.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm sure they don't mind but it doesn't seem to me to be a typical way of doing things. This is why you have guys like Biega on the farm. Especially because they don't seem keen on playing these guys. If they did the Corrado thing the one year where he was called up only to be in the lineup it wouldn't seem so strange.

I think it's one thing to give them a game or two in the PB but when its extended like it was with Corrado last year that's neglecting their development.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I thought there is a callup limit?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think it's one thing to give them a game or two in the PB but when its extended like it was with Corrado last year that's neglecting their development.

Certainly. They did not do the right thing with Corrado last year so yes bringing them up a day or two is better than that. Still odd though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I guess it's good to give a prospect a sniff of the big time, but - yet again - it's utterly ridiculous that Alex Biega isn't up here when he's a flat-out better player than 3 guys dressing regularly for us right now.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
It seems by their actions that they're acknowledging what they did last year to Corrado was a mistake. If they aren't planning to play them and they're here just for insurance, rotate them so they don't get stale.

I agree that Biega has looked better than some of the regulars, though.

Edit: Sorry, just saw that I'm repeating what others are saying. Also deleted unnecessarily snarky remark. Cheers.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
You know, people criticize the hell out of coaching and management, but they never seem to give credit to moves like this. The team is trying to give all the promising prospects a taste of the NHL. Just being up with the team is sort of a method of positive reinforcement, and it will be good experience for Pedan. Let's him know the team sees him as more than an AHL boxer. It may not work out that Pedan gets in the lineup, but at least he'll get a chance if an injury comes up.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I guess it's good to give a prospect a sniff of the big time, but - yet again - it's utterly ridiculous that Alex Biega isn't up here when he's a flat-out better player than 3 guys dressing regularly for us right now.
Seems like they are searching for toughness on the back end vs puck movers. I felt Biega was fairly physical but I think they want a fighter.

Hoping Pedan proves them right

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Was Fedun ever actually "up" though? They called him up Saturday afternoon and sent him down this morning, I can't imagine that he was ever physically in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad