Recalled/Assigned: Andrey Pedan re-assisnged to Utica (Jan 12)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bartkowski a -4 and Weber a minefield in his own zone....and both on expiring contracts....could Pedan really be any worse?...or even Subban?....right now I'd take anybody on the second-unit pp.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't mind letting Pedan be a big minute guy in Utica for a bit longer. He needs to play as much as possible, he's missed to much time already. I've got no faith Willie would play him enough to make putting him in the line up worthwhile.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Bartkowski a -4 and Weber a minefield in his own zone....and both on expiring contracts....could Pedan really be any worse?...or even Subban?....right now I'd take anybody on the second-unit pp.

The key is, at what point (hopefully before the TDL) Benning realizes that this is not a playoff team. The games in hand situation is hurting us; every team in the conference that is close to us in either the divisional or wildcard race as 2 or 3 games in hand except for Colorado and Winnipeg. Even after the win in Carolina, we site 2 points out of the last wildcard slot and behind San Jose and Arizona in the divisional race, but both have games in hand on us.

If Benning can figure out that we are on the outside looking in, he would waive Bartkowski (who sucks hard) and Weber (who also sucks), trade Hamhuis as soon as he is healthy and elevate Pedan and Fedun. Finishing the season with Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, Biega, Pedan and Fedun is probably no worse and maybe better than our current D. But at least it gives the younger guys some valuable NHL experience.

Then you trade Vrbata and Prust and call up Gaunce and/or Shinkaruk.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's another factor rapidly working its way into the equation...the Canadian dollar....if the dollar tanks to 59 cents U.S. as many are predicting, Nucks might have to be big-time sellers at the deadline...and there's no way the owner is going to want to be spending to the cap maximum like he is now.....so tell me again that spending $6m U.S. for essentially a backup goaltender was a good idea.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
There's another factor rapidly working its way into the equation...the Canadian dollar....if the dollar tanks to 59 cents U.S. as many are predicting, Nucks might have to be big-time sellers at the deadline...and there's no way the owner is going to want to be spending to the cap maximum like he is now.....so tell me again that spending $6m U.S. for essentially a backup goaltender was a good idea.

*checks thread* Think you might be lost, friend. :laugh:

erik19

May 1, 2006
If Benning can figure out that we are on the outside looking in, he would waive Bartkowski (who sucks hard) and Weber (who also sucks), trade Hamhuis as soon as he is healthy and elevate Pedan and Fedun.

yeah, it'd be nice to give Fedun a longer look but no way in heck is Benning ditching his 2 UFA dmen signings.

We'll be lucky if he doesnt extend them...

Asidas

Jun 15, 2014
vancouver
Relax guys. Linden already said they won't allow ufas to be gone for nothing. Either resigned or traded. Weber played so bad that he got scratched. Bart and Weber are being showcased. So is vey. Pedan will get playing time in utica. Once everyone is cleared out. Him and tryamkin will play post feb with the big club. Why the panic boys. Benning is not afraid of trading his mess ups. Point I what's best for the club.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The key is, at what point (hopefully before the TDL) Benning realizes that this is not a playoff team. The games in hand situation is hurting us; every team in the conference that is close to us in either the divisional or wildcard race as 2 or 3 games in hand except for Colorado and Winnipeg. Even after the win in Carolina, we site 2 points out of the last wildcard slot and behind San Jose and Arizona in the divisional race, but both have games in hand on us.

If Benning can figure out that we are on the outside looking in, he would waive Bartkowski (who sucks hard) and Weber (who also sucks), trade Hamhuis as soon as he is healthy and elevate Pedan and Fedun. Finishing the season with Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, Biega, Pedan and Fedun is probably no worse and maybe better than our current D. But at least it gives the younger guys some valuable NHL experience.

Then you trade Vrbata and Prust and call up Gaunce and/or Shinkaruk.

Other than your comment about trading Hamhuis, if we're truly on the outside looking in and you're saying not that they'd be better but that Fedun and Pedan wouldn't be any worse, why make a move at all?

Fedun is 27.

Pedan is developing nicely and quickly in Utica. He still makes mistakes but far fewer than when he came to the Comets last season. He isn't quite ready for the NHL-as WD said in the postgame press conference after Pedan's first game, while he was good he made mistakes. There's no need to rush him and he's not so advanced that he's beyond learning in the AHL.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because getting an extended look at them in the NHL would let you know where you stand "going forward". If Pedan is good you are set for one spot next year, if he struggles well waivers beckons next year and you have to go shopping in the offseason.

Etc.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Because getting an extended look at them in the NHL would let you know where you stand "going forward". If Pedan is good you are set for one spot next year, if he struggles well waivers beckons next year and you have to go shopping in the offseason.

Etc.

Exactly, you never really know where a player is at until you see them against NHL competition. Both Pedan and Fedun are physically (and in the case of Fedun, mentally/emotionally) mature enough to not be overwhelmed by the NHL. The only way you ruin a player by 'rushing' them to the NHL is if they are physically over matched, or if you heap ridiculous pressure on them too soon. Neither seems to be likely with these players.

If our defense was:

Edler Tanev
Hutton, Biega
Sbisa, Pedan/Fedun

They would be seeing fairly protected, 3rd pariing minutes.

Additionally, if the team is clearly out of the playoff race (a concession you have to admit when you trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and Prust, and waive Bartkowski and Weber), then it's up to the coaching staff to make it a safe learning environment.

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
I'm not sold on him.

I think he's playing really bad hockey since he was called up from Utica. Too many turnovers, mistakes in the defensive zone.

I don't know if it's the whole team situation or simply he's not ready.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Relax guys. Linden already said they won't allow ufas to be gone for nothing. Either resigned or traded. Weber played so bad that he got scratched. Bart and Weber are being showcased. So is vey. Pedan will get playing time in utica. Once everyone is cleared out. Him and tryamkin will play post feb with the big club. Why the panic boys. Benning is not afraid of trading his mess ups. Point I what's best for the club.

Ah, the unbridled optimism of January.

'Twas truly a different time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Does not look like an NHL player to me.

His footwork and mobility are clumsy and not NHL calibre, he processes the game slowly, and makes too many careless mistakes. And it isn't like there's a lot of skill there to compensate.

Another example of Benning scouting tools instead of ability and competence, especially when it comes to defenders.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sold on him.

I think he's playing really bad hockey since he was called up from Utica. Too many turnovers, mistakes in the defensive zone.

Or the fact that he was paired with bartkowski for most of his time on ice

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm not sold on him.

I'm just hoping it's an adjustment period and he's playing nervous because he's made some boneheaded mistakes, also isn't the smoothest skater when it comes to pivoting.

From what I've seen/read on him in Utica, he actually "earned" this call up so this is disappointing.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Benefit of the doubt for now... You just hope he takes a step coming into camp.. which is 5-6 months from now.
7 gms of NHL experience. about 120 AHL gms... There's definitely a lot of development time left for him.

You just hope he can take a significant step by the time September rolls around to earn that roster spot reserved for him.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
yeah, it'd be nice to give Fedun a longer look but no way in heck is Benning ditching his 2 UFA dmen signings.

We'll be lucky if he doesnt extend them...

He was shopping both of them at the deadline and got nothing (predictably). They both most certainly walk at the end of the season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Benefit of the doubt for now... You just hope he takes a step coming into camp.. which is 5-6 months from now.
7 gms of NHL experience. about 120 AHL gms... There's definitely a lot of development time left for him.

You just hope he can take a significant step by the time September rolls around to earn that roster spot reserved for him.

Yeah, he's the same age as Corrado and I'd be equally pissed off if we dumped him after such a short stint here too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pedan hasn't been great this run, that's for sure. Though the team in general has been bad, which doesn't help.

I still have hopes for him as a bottom pairing guy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Yeah, he's the same age as Corrado and I'd be equally pissed off if we dumped him after such a short stint here too.

I'm fine with giving him half a season next year on the big club to see if he comes around. I assume we will be terrible again anyways.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Does not look like an NHL player to me.

His footwork and mobility are clumsy and not NHL calibre, he processes the game slowly, and makes too many careless mistakes. And it isn't like there's a lot of skill there to compensate.

Another example of Benning scouting tools instead of ability and competence, especially when it comes to defenders.

I predict that you are talking about an 'amazing turnaround' with Pedan next season. Similar to Baertschi this season and Edler in the past.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The worst and most out-of-place looking player I've seen at the NHL level since Sauve.

A liability literally every shift. Would be a lot more comfortable with Corrado or Clendening, and neither of those are NHL players. That's telling something.

Logic and common sense suggests Tryamkin and Subban have passed him once next season starts. Like Biega and Hutton completely outplayed Corrado (and would've outplayed Clendening aswell) last camp.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Logic and common sense suggests Tryamkin and Subban have passed him once next season starts. Like Biega and Hutton completely outplayed Corrado (and would've outplayed Clendening aswell) last camp.

Do we really consider 5'9" 177lb Jordan Subban will be an NHL defenseman? I've never understood the hype. All the skill in the world won't keep him from being pasted into the boards. He's not PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad