Andrey Buyalsky C, 2021 draft, 3rd round (92nd overall)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he’s a center through and through. Even if the defense doesn’t come along. His game just isn’t suited to the boards. He just may not ever make the NHL based on his defense
I tend to agree with you on a lot of things, but I just simply cannot see this. I absolutely get the board play and I agree with you he's going to lose more than he wins over the course of his career. However, he's in the same mould of Kessel where he plays majority of the time off the rush on flank cutting towards the net down-low. I would say the most underrated part of his game is that he has a very low centre of gravity for a player with a 6'3" frame. I do think he could be an accomplished inside-cutting winger as currently majority of his game is blowing scrubs towards the outside. I do agree he likes the middle of the rink as well, but the most successful rushes from him are on the outside cutting in and I suggest he'll make the pros conducting the same aspect of play.

Reactions: henchman21

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Imagine this guy being fed breakout passes by Girard/Makar/Byram/Helleson/Behrens/etc. So much fun to watch because he's always absolutely flying out there and has one idea: to get to the net and get there as fast as possible.

It would be pretty hilarious to watch this guy on a line with Foudy and they complement eachother well. Foudy is elite at zone exits and transitioning the puck through the neutral zone but is scared of attacking the crease, whereas Borat is elite at zone entries and loves the net front. Both hog the puck a bit but their speed would be incredibly dynamic and hard to stop.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Mark my words this guy is going to lead the NCAA in goaltender interference penalties next year.
In his highlight video he actually draws a tonne of penalties when cutting to the net so that helps him balance the penalties a bit.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This was the kind of pick we were told to expect in this wackadoo draft class. Limited scouting where a team thinks they have the inside track on a guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I tend to agree with you on a lot of things, but I just simply cannot see this. I absolutely get the board play and I agree with you he's going to lose more than he wins over the course of his career. However, he's in the same mould of Kessel where he plays majority of the time off the rush on flank cutting towards the net down-low. I would say the most underrated part of his game is that he has a very low centre of gravity for a player with a 6'3" frame. I do think he could be an accomplished inside-cutting winger as currently majority of his game is blowing scrubs towards the outside. I do agree he likes the middle of the rink as well, but the most successful rushes from him are on the outside cutting in and I suggest he'll make the pros conducting the same aspect of play.
I had a long post on this and this stupid site refreshed on me and I lost it all. :laugh:

So short version… in think you’re taking a small aspect of his game and extrapolating it too much. He’s a great outside, in rush guy. Best past of his game by far. But to get the best out of him offensively in general, you need him roaming and finding space to get him the puck (that he’ll promptly shoot). He can be really effective moving without the puck and pouncing off openings. Defensively… putting him high near the boards is a disaster. He’s weak, doesn’t track the puck well and has significant drift. At center you have him moving around and using his skating more (and his stick which is his only plus defensive attribute). He’s at least doing something defensively there… plus being lower tends to let him wind up a bit in transition. Where he blows through the zone.

I’ve seen him play wing, he’s a much worse player when he plays there. You limit his game to 2-3 great rushes, lost battles, losing his guy in the zone, and a lot of frustration. At center you get those rushes, plus a couple stick plays, some great reads and resets to setup a rush, and more importantly… more roaming in the offensive zone where he’s good at finding soft spots and pouncing on them.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Just want to say that I'm enjoying this discussion between the two HFAvs big-brains. I think I lean towards henchman in this debate but SEPH has some valid points too.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
He definitely has defensive shortcomings, but in my view you put him on a line with a Nichuskin type who is good at defense (and also crashes the net for rebounds), along with a playmaker who is good at zone exits who can hit him at speed in the neutral zone.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Pair him with someone with quick hands and good finishing skill that is fast enough to make it to the rebounds left as this guy crashes the crease....

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I like his style. We need more guys that can skate with the puck in our bottom 6. Even if he doesn’t score, he’s maintaining possession and eating up minutes while our scorers rest. He’s a Nuke clone.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I like his style. We need more guys that can skate with the puck in our bottom 6. Even if he doesn’t score, he’s maintaining possession and eating up minutes while our scorers rest. He’s a Nuke clone.
He's not a Nuke clone at all. Apart from going hard to the net they play very different games and Buyalski isn't anywhere near Nuke defensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He'll make the Avs within 3 years, being injured is a key requirement.
200.gif

Reactions: niwotsblessing

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Another example of why we should never go into the draft with any picks between #4 and #128. The only reason to logically do so is because we can't find anyone to give us a squeeze of juice for the 4th rounder.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad