Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought he played pretty well, even with the broken hand. He's the ideal partner for Lohrei, having been Werenski's partner for most of his time in Columbus. I'll pass on revisiting the arguments you guys lost a month ago, but I look forward to all of you being wrong again.
The argument wasn't for or against the guy though. It was whether the price Sweeney paid for him was too high, and that's still a fair question. Could they have gotten Peeke for less in the offseason as a potential buy out candidate? That was always the knock on this trade. Not them taking a flier on a guy that played himself out of favor but may have been salvageable. Just the cost to obtain and his current contract.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The argument wasn't for or against the guy though. It was whether the price Sweeney paid for him was too high, and that's still a fair question. Could they have gotten Peeke for less in the offseason as a potential buy out candidate? That was always the knock on this trade. Not them taking a flier on a guy that played himself out of favor but may have been salvageable. Just the cost to obtain and his current contract.

But they had a Desperate need for a 3rd line RHD at the trade deadline. Shatty had a nice season, but everyone could see he would be absolutely unplayable in postseason against a heavy team. Even in the Toronto series, he played and at times played well, but he had to be heavily sheltered and used sparingly in the games.

Sure you could argue they should have traded for a different RHD, but their options were cap constrained.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

How can there be buy-out speculation from a team that fired their long-time GM on Feb. 15th, less than 3 weeks before the deadline? How does anyone know once they canned their GM what they are thinking regarding individual players?

If Sweeney waits, and a new GM comes in and decides he likes Peeke, then the deal is off or at least gets harder to make or more expensive.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
How can there be buy-out speculation from a team that fired their long-time GM on Feb. 15th, less than 3 weeks before the deadline? How does anyone know once they canned their GM what they are thinking regarding individual players?

If Sweeney waits, and a new GM comes in and decides he likes Peeke, then the deal is off or at least gets harder to make or more expensive.
Peeke was traded on 3/8 though. So a moot point.

The buyout chatter was on their board and a bit in the media.

EDIT: sorry didn’t realize that was about waiting until the off-season my bad

Reactions: LSCII and BruinDust

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But they had a Desperate need for a 3rd line RHD at the trade deadline. Shatty had a nice season, but everyone could see he would be absolutely unplayable in postseason against a heavy team. Even in the Toronto series, he played and at times played well, but he had to be heavily sheltered and used sparingly in the games.

Sure you could argue they should have traded for a different RHD, but their options were cap constrained.
I'm not against Peeke or the move of them taking a flier. I'm simply saying that second guessing the value is a valid topic for debate. Obviously time will tell how it works out, but there are certainly areas of the move that can be discussed/debated.

And those are valid justifications for making the move. People here always want to make shit black or white and boil it down to the most basic things (usually to say their view is right) instead of realizing most moves are nuanced and can be open to interpretation. All I'm saying is what's wrong with a little back and forth on it?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The kid has physical skill and I suspect after a full camp, he shouldn't regress, but improve. Based on contracts in the league only going up. His will turn out to be a fair price, including what it take to get players at the deadline. Especially if we weren't the only team in on him.

Reactions: CDJ

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
The buy out suggestion is complete nonsense, he would never even clear waivers. The only angle you can reasonably take is that he may not have cost a 2027 3rd in the offseason, but then you lose the value of having him in the postseason. I'm not even sure if that's reasonable given how many teams were precluded from taking on his contract because of the cap situation this season, it's much easier to move him later.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The buy out suggestion is complete nonsense, he would never even clear waivers. The only angle you can reasonably take is that he may not have cost a 2027 3rd in the offseason, but then you lose the value of having him in the postseason. I'm not even sure if that's reasonable given how many teams were precluded from taking on his contract because of the cap situation this season, it's much easier to move him later.

He’s a jag. You can find multiple other replacement level players who give you the same value but half the value or less.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You're laughably putting your opinion forth as fact, which it's not. You don't think he'd clear waivers, but nobody is jumping to overpay bottom pairing dmen, aside from Sweeney.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
He’s a jag. You can find multiple other replacement level players who give you the same value but half the value or less.
You already lost this argument when the trade happened. The only right handed defensemen you can get for half of his contract are players on their ELC, players over 35, and tweeners just happy to get a one way contract. You would be hard pressed to get one who has averaged 19+ minutes even for what he's being paid now.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
You're laughably putting your opinion forth as fact, which it's not. You don't think he'd clear waivers, but nobody is jumping to overpay bottom pairing dmen, aside from Sweeney.
The buyout rumor is unfounded speculation by a national writer who doesn't know shit. Even if he were it is absurd to think that making Andrew Peeke an unrestricted free agent in this year's market would result in a pay cut.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The buyout rumor is unfounded speculation by a national writer who doesn't know shit. Even if he were it is absurd to think that making Andrew Peeke an unrestricted free agent in this year's market would result in a pay cut.

Yup, you would absolutely not get Peeke for 2/2.75 million in this summers market. He' be looking 4-5 years. Maybe the 2.75 stays, but could get above that

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
20k posts leading up to the trade deadline in about 20 different deadline threads and not once do I remember reading this.... "You know who would be a great get? Andrew Peeke, that healthy scratch on one of the worst teams in the league with that bloated contract."

Now he's a Bruin and and he's this stroke of genius secret weapon. Again, it's whatever, but hard to be overly excited about.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yup, you would absolutely not get Peeke for 2/2.75 million in this summers market. He' be looking 4-5 years. Maybe the 2.75 stays, but could get above that

Well I couldn’t disagree more. He was about to be bought out by Columbus and make vet minimum around the league.

I’d rather desharnais and he will make half that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
20k posts leading up to the trade deadline in about 20 different deadline threads and not once do I remember reading this.... "You know who would be a great get? Andrew Peeke, that healthy scratch on one of the worst teams in the league with that bloated contract."

Now he's a Bruin and and he's this stroke of genius secret weapon. Again, it's whatever, but hard to be overly excited about.
Pretty much. He's fine for now. A 3rd isn't a hefty price, but I suspect before long we'll be saying they need to improve upon him.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again that’s just your speculation. Weird how you call the speculation of a national hockey writer that has contacts and sources in the league “shit” but you call your own unfounded opinion fact. Hilarious dude. f***ing hilarious.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You already lost this argument when the trade happened. The only right handed defensemen you can get for half of his contract are players on their ELC, players over 35, and tweeners just happy to get a one way contract. You would be hard pressed to get one who has averaged 19+ minutes even for what he's being paid now.

Desharnais gives you the same and is making $1.5m as a RHD.

Reactions: LSCII

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

OK, he also signed his current contract when he was an RFA with 36 games of NHL experience. He was basically Wotherspoon when he signed. If he plays well next season, when he gets his next contract it will be substantially higher than what he makes now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He was the definition of a desperation addition. And we are a top 5 team (if not were 6 or 7) we aren't going to sell and tank for draft position with no pick. You have to add a guy like him to bump down unplayable crap like Gryz. The price was too high but in that context it is what it is. We couldn't enter the playoffs without someone better than Gryz and on the same level and Spoon and Shatty.

If the right guys want to sign here so hes redundant trade him and by all means eat a few hundred thousand of his deal if it gets a better return.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He was the definition of a desperation addition. And we are a top 5 team (if not were 6 or 7) we aren't going to sell and tank for draft position with no pick. You have to add a guy like him to bump down unplayable crap like Gryz. The price was too high but in that context it is what it is. We couldn't enter the playoffs without someone better than Gryz and on the same level and Spoon and Shatty.

If the right guys want to sign here so hes redundant trade him and by all means eat a few hundred thousand of his deal if it gets a better return.
Good take.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Desharnais is on his ELC, they drafted and developed him. He's played a season and a half in the league and averages 15 mins a game. Not a great comp.

The floor for Peeke would've been Lyubushkin and Peeke is younger and better, plays more minutes.

Reactions: BMC and goldenblack

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Desharnais is on his ELC, they drafted and developed him. He's played a season and a half in the league and averages 15 mins a game. Not a great comp.

The floor for Peeke would've been Lyubushkin and Peeke is younger and better, plays more minutes.

I’d take lyubushkin over peeke right now.

I’d take shattenkirk level player at the vet minimum over Peale at 2.75. They played better with shattenkirk and wotherspoon as a pair anyways

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I’d take lyubushkin over peeke right now.

I’d take shattenkirk level player at the vet minimum over Peale at 2.75. They played better with shattenkirk and wotherspoon as a pair anyways
I wouldn't, and I bet Toronto wouldn't either. Peeke would've been the ideal candidate for what they're looking for, an inexpensive partner for Rielly, if he were still on the trade market. What does Toronto do now? Hakanpaa would be cheaper but he's pretty slow. Jan Rutta's older but makes the same money as Peeke. Luke Schenn, same money as Peeke, slow and old. Gudbrandson at 50% retained would be expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad