Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
They could only move him instantly if they included some good sweeteners like maybe a 2nd round pick.

2 more years at $2.75M is a lot to take on for a guy who is thought to be no more than a #6.

Nothing against the player, that’s just how thing work in a hard cap league.

I think on our team he's a #5 who can very easily move up to #3 minutes if you need him to.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think on our team he's a #5 who can very easily move up to #3 minutes if you need him to.

If he’s 2nd pairing on the bruins they will struggle to win any playoff series going forward. He is worse than forbort at moving the puck somehow.

It honestly felt like every time he touched the puck an opposing team player was the next person with the puck on their stick.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He's got the best expected goals against in that whole group (the bright blue right in the middle) and he was getting only 30% of draws in the offensive end.

Carlo lead the playoffs with only 15% of offensive zone draws for a defenseman (only 5 guys had less than 30%). He's pretty criminally underrated around here. Think he got dinged up in game 6 and Peeke ate his minutes as the #1 shutdown guy.
Don’t muddy the water with facts that don’t fit the narrative.

People who expected him to be an offensive Dman weren’t paying attention and are still not paying attention.

This place is f***ing nuts sometimes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Don’t muddy the water with facts that don’t fit the narrative.

People who expected him to be an offensive Dman weren’t paying attention and are still not paying attention.

This place is f***ing nuts sometimes.
He’s fine. He can’t be paired with Wotherspoon or Forbort or similar.

Reactions: dangermike

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
If he’s 2nd pairing on the bruins they will struggle to win any playoff series going forward. He is worse than forbort at moving the puck somehow.

It honestly felt like every time he touched the puck an opposing team player was the next person with the puck on their stick.
while that might be true, he did seem to eliminate high danger chances (to my extremely untrained eye)

that was honestly why the posession numbers against florida or how easy it is for some teams to enter our zone on the pp dont seem all that bad to me- felt a lot like bend dont break

also for him to be unplayable for columbus and then go to boston and be fairly steady at 25yo makes it seem like there might be a little more here (even tho if you ask a % of this board, the bruins should completely clean house on D lol)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like Peeke, loved the trade, believe he fits the system, and feel very confident in the right-side of the D moving forward. All 3 guys in their prime. I thought they missed him when he was unavailable at times in the playoffs. He brings more of what the Bruins need on the back-end.

The way the right side is slotted is pretty much set in stone. So the 3 guys on the right-side will need to get used to playing with a multitude of partners on the left-side. That's where you'll see the coaches use flexibility. I do expect another NHL caliber left-shot D-man will be brought in. Not a game-changer, but another experienced guy.

Kevin Bieksa, who seems like one of the most respected analysts going today, said the other night their are really only two types of NHL D now, offensive D and two-way D. There really is no more pure defensive D in the vein of the past.

Peeke is going to be used with a variety of partners, an offensive D like a Lohrei, or a two-way D like a Lindholm or Wotherspoon or whoever they bring in to add to the left side. They won't have the luxury of saying "well I can't pair Peeke with this guy or that guy" just because that potential partner may be a guy with a similar skill-set. I see no issue with Peeke playing on a 3rd pair with a "left-shot Peeke" on the other side, two guys whose strength is defending but not break-outs/transition. To be honest, I welcome having two big, sturdy D-men on the 3rd pair in a zone-style defensive system. Seemed to work for Vegas. Tampa's 5th/6th/7th guys were larger, sturdier (albeit different utilization). Beef on the bottom of the D-corps seems to be a consistent trait of recent champions. Peeke fits this trend. I'm glad he's here.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I thought he played pretty well, even with the broken hand. He's the ideal partner for Lohrei, having been Werenski's partner for most of his time in Columbus. I'll pass on revisiting the arguments you guys lost a month ago, but I look forward to all of you being wrong again.

Reactions: BMC and JoeIsAStud

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really liked his game in the regular season. I didn't think he was the same player after he came back from his injury and at times, was a liability.

Here's to a healthy 2024-2025 season from Peeke. I think there's a lot to like from him and he can help this team out being a crease protector and penalty kill stud, as well as some size/toughness.

Reactions: BMC and Alan Ryan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see it, Ill give him time to acclimate with a camp here and it's not a huge deal but he just seems like a guy you look to replace.

What are your expectations for a 3rd pair right shot D in a cap system?

I want a guy who will be deployed in defensive situations and can handle PK duty. Are you suggesting more of a smaller, puck-moving type?

Where are these 5-tool right-shot D with reasonable cap hits to fit into your 3rd pair? If Peeke was solid defensively AND a quality puck-mover, he's still in Columbus and probably making 5-6 million a year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What are your expectations for a 3rd pair right shot D in a cap system?

I want a guy who will be deployed in defensive situations and can handle PK duty. Are you suggesting more of a smaller, puck-moving type?

Where are these 5-tool right-shot D with reasonable cap hits to fit into your 3rd pair? If Peeke was solid defensively AND a quality puck-mover, he's still in Columbus and probably making 5-6 million a year.
million dollar older vet you can just replace year after year? Hakanpaa type? Maybe a Desharnais tyoe? Dunno. Peeke is a replacement level player.

Reactions: UncleRico

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
million dollar older vet you can just replace year after year? Hakanpaa type? Maybe a Desharnais tyoe? Dunno. Peeke is a replacement level player.

I see Peeke pretty much the same as both of those guys. Hakanpaa is finishing up a 3-year deal. 3rd pairing guys who can kill penalties. Ironically Hakappaa might step back into the line-up for Dallas at the expense of Chris Tanev who half the league was crawling over to get at the deadline and will be a 2nd rounder + prospect for a rental.

Although I will say Desharnais is playing very well for Edmonton in these playoffs and his profile has increased playing on their 2nd pair with Nurse (albeit still only about 17 mins a night). He's probably looking at a Peeke-type contract this summer.

I think there is something to be said for having guys in their prime (25-28) vs. guys into their 30s. Especially in a long season and hopefully long playoff run. Look at Shattenkirk. Pretty decent 1st half but man the wheels really fell off in the 2nd half.

I also think that having more turnover year-to-year is easier when it's left-shot D than it is for righties. There is just more of them available. This year's FA class when it comes to comparable right-shot D-men is awful really and my guess that was considered when making the Peeke deal. Instead of competing for a small handful of RD that fit with a pile of other teams, make the Peeke deal at the deadline and hope that spot is now taken care of. One less thing to worry about July 1st and they can focus more on upgrading the forward group.

And if Peeke doesn't work out next year. he's a cheap buy-out in June 2025, 900k for two years.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Carlo was fantastic in the playoffs. The D limited high danger chances at an elite level in both series. The issue was retrievals and exits - though the forwards played a big role in that too.
Maybe. I dont think this mix is right. He would be a high value trade chip

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like Peeke, loved the trade, believe he fits the system, and feel very confident in the right-side of the D moving forward. All 3 guys in their prime. I thought they missed him when he was unavailable at times in the playoffs. He brings more of what the Bruins need on the back-end.

The way the right side is slotted is pretty much set in stone. So the 3 guys on the right-side will need to get used to playing with a multitude of partners on the left-side. That's where you'll see the coaches use flexibility. I do expect another NHL caliber left-shot D-man will be brought in. Not a game-changer, but another experienced guy.

Kevin Bieksa, who seems like one of the most respected analysts going today, said the other night their are really only two types of NHL D now, offensive D and two-way D. There really is no more pure defensive D in the vein of the past.

Peeke is going to be used with a variety of partners, an offensive D like a Lohrei, or a two-way D like a Lindholm or Wotherspoon or whoever they bring in to add to the left side. They won't have the luxury of saying "well I can't pair Peeke with this guy or that guy" just because that potential partner may be a guy with a similar skill-set. I see no issue with Peeke playing on a 3rd pair with a "left-shot Peeke" on the other side, two guys whose strength is defending but not break-outs/transition. To be honest, I welcome having two big, sturdy D-men on the 3rd pair in a zone-style defensive system. Seemed to work for Vegas. Tampa's 5th/6th/7th guys were larger, sturdier (albeit different utilization). Beef on the bottom of the D-corps seems to be a consistent trait of recent champions. Peeke fits this trend. I'm glad he's here.
I don’t agree with Bieksa at all. Maybe in the top 4. But we still see Joel Edmundson, Derek Forbort, Ben Chiarot et al on third pairs all over the league. Andrew Peeke is absolutely a DFD not a TWD. Same with Wotherspoon. And I don’t like them paired together at all (almost as bad as Forbort-Peeke). Doesn’t have to be Nick Leddy paired with them but a pair has to have some semblance of getting the puck up the ice in todays NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t agree with Bieksa at all. Maybe in the top 4. But we still see Joel Edmundson, Derek Forbort, Ben Chiarot et al on third pairs all over the league. Andrew Peeke is absolutely a DFD not a TWD. Same with Wotherspoon. And I don’t like them paired together at all (almost as bad as Forbort-Peeke). Doesn’t have to be Nick Leddy paired with them but a pair has to have some semblance of getting the puck up the ice in todays NHL.

Joel Edmundson moves the puck just fine. So does Ben Chiarot (whose played a lot of Top 4 minutes). I don't have an issue with Wotherspoon's puck movement either. Doesn't skate the puck much, but capable passer. Makes simple plays.

And if I'm looking at the left-shot D available in free agency (I think they will bring in one experienced guy) that will likely play 3rd pairing minutes, Edmundson might be my guy all things considered. Although with Berube's arrival I suspect he extends in TO.

Even the current flavor of the week Zadorov has skill, skates well, and can push the pace when he wants to, will step up and join the offense, gets in on the forecheck. I think what Bieksa is really saying is the days of that D-man who just sits back, every zone exit is a chip off the glass, rarely touches the puck outside the defensive zone, never joins the offense, is over. Guys who play that way now don't get jobs in the NHL and end up in the bush leagues.

I made an inaccurate statement in a previous post about Tanev (based on something I read yesterday). Watching him last night, Peeke brings a lot of the same elements. Their skating style is eerily similar. Friedman was saying Dallas love what he's brought and will make him a priority signing. Can Peeke be a poor-man's Tanev here for Boston? I don't see why not with proper coaching.

We definitely agree on Forbort though. I don't even consider him a defensive D. He just sucks. Thought it was a mistake inserting him into the Florida series. Good riddance.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Joel Edmundson moves the puck just fine. So does Ben Chiarot (whose played a lot of Top 4 minutes). I don't have an issue with Wotherspoon's puck movement either. Doesn't skate the puck much, but capable passer. Makes simple plays.

And if I'm looking at the left-shot D available in free agency (I think they will bring in one experienced guy) that will likely play 3rd pairing minutes, Edmundson might be my guy all things considered. Although with Berube's arrival I suspect he extends in TO.

Even the current flavor of the week Zadorov has skill, skates well, and can push the pace when he wants to, will step up and join the offense, gets in on the forecheck. I think what Bieksa is really saying is the days of that D-man who just sits back, every zone exit is a chip off the glass, rarely touches the puck outside the defensive zone, never joins the offense, is over. Guys who play that way now don't get jobs in the NHL and end up in the bush leagues.

I made an inaccurate statement in a previous post about Tanev (based on something I read yesterday). Watching him last night, Peeke brings a lot of the same elements. Their skating style is eerily similar. Friedman was saying Dallas love what he's brought and will make him a priority signing. Can Peeke be a poor-man's Tanev here for Boston? I don't see why not with proper coaching.

We definitely agree on Forbort though. I don't even consider him a defensive D. He just sucks. Thought it was a mistake inserting him into the Florida series. Good riddance.
I have a Bruins calendar in my office. When I flipped it over to the month of May, to my horror, it was a picture of Derek Forbort in action. I should have known it would be a bad omen for the playoffs.

Good riddance indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad