Confirmed with Link: Andrew Gibson signs 3 year ELC

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
This is another positive prospect development. Want to see what he can do against grown ups.

GR going to be loaded with D man prospects next season.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Who's next to sign now?? Savage and pelikka?

Bednar probably doesn't get signed with cossa Augustine gylander around but I'd keep him as well

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Didn't realize this guy still has that stupid juniors rule keeping him down next year. That kinda helps the logjam at GR. But 25-26 GR better have room for 2 RHD, because they will be getting this guy and ASP by then most likely.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Probably something wrong and Yzerman doesn't like what he see in GR

well, considering I was wrong and Gibson won't be in GR next year, and also considering GR is in the playoffs...I'm going to say that's not the case.

(though I think my point still stands in general...the Wings have a ton of legit D prospects)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
well, considering I was wrong and Gibson won't be in GR next year, and also considering GR is in the playoffs...I'm going to say that's not the case.

(though I think my point still stands in general...the Wings have a ton of legit D prospects)
Edvinsson, Albert Johansson will be with Detroit . Tuomisto, Rafferty, Wallinder,Viro, Buium and Gibson have contract for next season. It is 7. Others don't have contract for next season yet

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
A beaten record at this point, but the D logjam at GR is real. I expect some movement this summer.

I don't think it's as bad as some do. I'm expecting Johansson and Edvinsson up, so you're looking at...

LD Wallinder, Buium, Viro
RD Tuomisto Gibson

One of Newpower or Rafferty stays. 2 or 3 of the vets will probably go find greener pastures with another NHL club or over in Europe like McIsaac. Some guys may go over to Toledo, or they might end up back in Europe (Viro most likely) or thrown in a trade (Wallinder or Buium most likely)

I might be wrong, but I don't think ASP is coming to Grand Rapids next year. Even if he signs ASP can be loaned to Skelleftea by Detroit. Detroit gave Wallinder and Johansson each 3 seasons in Sweden. It won't hurt ASP being over there with Kronwall for one more year.

Also, doesn't Gibson have one more season of junior eligiblity? He's only 19. He can always be sent to the OHL, which might be the best place for him right now. That's why I was asking about his skating. Is it up to snuff for the AHL now?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I don't think it's as bad as some do. I'm expecting Johansson and Edvinsson up, so you're looking at...

LD Wallinder, Buium, Viro
RD Tuomisto Gibson

One of Newpower or Rafferty stays. 2 or 3 of the vets will probably go find greener pastures with another NHL club or over in Europe like McIsaac. Some guys may go over to Toledo, or they might end up back in Europe (Viro most likely) or thrown in a trade (Wallinder or Buium most likely)

I might be wrong, but I don't think ASP is coming to Grand Rapids next year. Even if he signs ASP can be loaned to Skelleftea by Detroit. Detroit gave Wallinder and Johansson each 3 seasons in Sweden. It won't hurt ASP being over there with Kronwall for one more year.

Also, doesn't Gibson have one more season of junior eligiblity? He's only 19. He can always be sent to the OHL, which might be the best place for him right now. That's why I was asking about his skating. Is it up to snuff for the AHL now?

Yeah it looks like Gibson will be back at the OHL next year, so definitely not as bad as I thought.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
What type of Dman is he? Offensive, defensive, mix?
I posted this a couple weeks ago....

I am curious about Gibson though.... I've seen very little of him, so don't have a strong opinion, but since we drafted him I've read "good skater, good size, plays physical, is good in transition, good work ethic, good IQ," and he's put up an acceptable amount of points in juniors. He seems to check all the boxes. What are the holes in this kid's game? I'm guessing at least one of the glowing comments about a piece of his game is over-exaggeration or something?

....and got no replies, so I'm still waiting to learn more about him as well lol. But the Wings signing him is an interesting data point in terms of how highly they think of him. It's good to see at least.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
One of Newpower or Rafferty stays.
Rafferty is signed until 2025
I might be wrong, but I don't think ASP is coming to Grand Rapids next year. Even if he signs ASP can be loaned to Skelleftea by Detroit.
Yzerman said in the press conference that ASP stays in Sweden for next season.
----------------
I don't really see GR having any logjam issues next year.

Wallinder - Tuomisto
Buium - Rafferty
Viro - Didier?

GR is actually 2 d-men short, i expect GR re-sign Didier since he's the captain. So that leaves one spot open, for a college free agent perhaps. Jacob Truscott? Or someone else or Newpower re-signed, McIsaac is gone already.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
What type of Dman is he? Offensive, defensive, mix?
2 way D-Man, good size, RH shot, 44 points in 68 games in OHL this year and for what it is worth, +36 with 58 PIM, still growing into 6'4" 203 pound frame, skating is OK according to most reports, projects a 3rd pair SD type of guy by most, but we'll see where he goes, he'll likely be back in OHL next year given his age, but looking forward to see at camp this year.

Reactions: Oddbob and WaW

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
2 way D-Man, good size, RH shot, 44 points in 68 games in OHL this year and for what it is worth, +36 with 58 PIM, still growing into 6'4" 203 pound frame, skating is OK according to most reports, projects a 3rd pair SD type of guy by most, but we'll see where he goes, he'll likely be back in OHL next year given his age, but looking forward to see at camp this year.
Extremely comfortable on the puck and sound decision-making as well. Was really impressed with him the couple times I saw him play in Sudbury this year.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad