Andrei Markov

Bekbe

Aug 30, 2009
Quebec
one thing i remember about him that i like is when he was eligible for the first time to be an UFA he was on his prime and the best dman on the market, many good dman were signed for over 6-6,5 milion before so he had the chance to hit the jackpot.....he didnt...he signed before july 1 and for less money that everybody was expecting at the time. That day i knew he was a habs for a long time. I think that this is one of the reason why they signed him at the same price even if he was injured. they respected him for what he did before for them

i just hope that he will stay healthy...i'm sure he will be the 4 best dman on points in history of habs

and for Subban...Markov skills ( vision, patience, calm, ledearship and experience ) is exactly was Subban can improve, So if Subban can have a chance to learn those with Markov he will be a beast because he have so many skills already. I think he can be a good teacher for him

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
As long as he's healthy, he's still a top 10 D in the league. He does so may things that are not noticed by the casual fan, like keeping the puck in the zone, standing up the blue line, cutting passes and breaking plays in the neutral zone, and retrieving lose pucks in the defensive zone. The team spends so little time defending when Markov is on the ice. He's all about vision and anticipation.

leftwinghockey

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Born and raised Torontonian, die hard Leafs fan...

But I can't help but be so impressed and so happy for Andrei Markov.

What a player, most underrated player in the last ten years. His presence completely changes your team from dog **** to playoff contender.

Good for him.

Wish we had a Dman of his immense quality.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

What a player, most underrated player in the last ten years. His presence completely changes your team from dog **** to playoff contender.

Good for him.

Do you want Kaberle back? :sarcasm:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

Good for him.

Th-thanks?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
playoff contender?

let's not get carried away just yet... it's the panthers and the capitals of Oz: somebody needs to find a heart for ovechkin, a brain for green, and courage for backstrom

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Markov is a hockey player in the purest sense. When he's on the ice, that's him home.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Good for him.

Habs make the playoffs, Markov wins the Hart. Calling it right now! :handclap:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Markov really needs to stay healthy, if he does it changes the entire outlook for the Habs going forward....

As mentioned, alot of casual fans would miss an awful lot of what he does...but most Hab fans realize he is that good...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I remember discussing on the trade board this summer his value, specifically to the Red Wings. I was not trying to shop him but I figured he was at least worth a 1st and a 2nd round pick from the Wings.

There was a specific Wings fan who was adament that he did not want him, not even for a 7th round pick.

He's probably right. Wings don't need a guy like him. :laugh:

edit: here it is...starts at post 15...what a card

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1224159&highlight=markov

Last edited:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
markov's biggest asset was always his intelligence. not sure why people thought he would crumble because he's lost a step. the best part of his game was never based on speed, and he always made players around him 5 times better.

the only thing about markov's game that has caught me by surprise is the pp. he's changed his role, and they're still getting it done on the pp. not sure if it will continue, but he's playing both his past role and the streit, sourray role at the moment. diaz is a great student of the game, hope he's here for a long time, and wish markov plays a few more years to help the transition of the younger guys into the league.

even though he doesn't wear the c, this is clearly his team. clearly.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Markov really needs to stay healthy, if he does it changes the entire outlook for the Habs going forward....

As mentioned, alot of casual fans would miss an awful lot of what he does...but most Hab fans realize he is that good...

Exactly. You just can't focus on his offensive game, which is clearly breath taking, that little pass to Plekanec, wow, most defenseman would have just blasted that to try to score.

You have to watch his positioning and stick play on defense, his breakout passes out of the zone, wow. Watching him is like watching/listening live to a top notch orchestra playing, just perfect.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I'm not going to lie, I was sure Markov would have trouble...mostly defensivly. Last year wen he came back, he was shades of himself. This year, he looks good. You can see he lost a step in his movement but wow, he sure makes a big difference.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Good for him.

We'll trade you Kaberle who is a "poor man's Markov' along with a 2nd rounder for your 1st, Deal?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm not going to lie, I was sure Markov would have trouble...mostly defensivly. Last year wen he came back, he was shades of himself. This year, he looks good. You can see he lost a step in his movement but wow, he sure makes a big difference.

I don't find he has lost a step. His skating is back to being above average. He never had PK or Pacioretty speed but his smarts makes him look faster.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Even if he has lost a bit of speed, it doesn't really matter considering he's playing the game 5 moves ahead of everyone else. His IQ is actually unreal and it's a true pleasure to watch. I don't expect every game to be great, but damn, he's making me look smart for picking him in my pool

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
Even if he has lost a bit of speed, it doesn't really matter considering he's playing the game 5 moves ahead of everyone else. His IQ is actually unreal and it's a true pleasure to watch. I don't expect every game to be great, but damn, he's making me look smart for picking him in my pool

Exactly - even defensively, he's been amazing. Always one step ahead of everyone else.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
One thing about Markov is his anticipation. He knows how the play is going to develop and will be always in the right place. With a healthy Markov in the lineup, we might have a chance to make the playoff. He is just that good.:handclap:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Exactly. You just can't focus on his offensive game, which is clearly breath taking, that little pass to Plekanec, wow, most defenseman would have just blasted that to try to score.

You have to watch his positioning and stick play on defense, his breakout passes out of the zone, wow. Watching him is like watching/listening live to a top notch orchestra playing, just perfect.

I'm a big soccer fan...and I liken watching Markov on his game and healthy, to a great centre midfielder pulling the strings on the pitch, a bit like Zidane used to do.

The ice seems slightly tilted in Habs favor when he's on the ice and healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad