Value of: Andreas Johnsson or Kasperi Kapanen

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Coming in to the season I saw Moore on line #4 in a swing role the same way Brown did. I still see him that way at full health. I don't think he has the offense of the other two and I don't mind a team deep in talent.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
@MinJerkBen @spockjerk @Chrispy

How consistently physical is Gauthier playing? High motor aggression or more of a puck protector?
I can only speak to what we saw in camp, but I'd say he was more of a high motor aggression. He does protect the puck well with his large frame, but it was the motor that caught the eye of the coaching staff and led to real talk of him making the team out of camp in place of Necas.

@Unsustainable goes to the Checkers games fairly regularly, he'd know more about his game down there.

Reactions: Unsustainable

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I can only speak to what we saw in camp, but I'd say he was more of a high motor aggression. He does protect the puck well with his large frame, but it was the motor that caught the eye of the coaching staff and led to real talk of him making the team out of camp in place of Necas.

@Unsustainable goes to the Checkers games fairly regularly, he'd know more about his game down there.

Seems like a good fit, so you think that Kap+5th for TVR+Gauthier+Forsberg is in the ballpark? Would there be any chance of getting ~500k retention?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Seems like a good fit, so you think that Kap+5th for TVR+Gauthier+Forsberg is in the ballpark? Would there be any chance of getting ~500k retention?

Don’t see CAR retaining anything there, nor do I see them including all 3 of those pieces for Kapanen and a 5th. The CAR cap situation, this year at least, is quite tenuous. They’d barely be able to fit Kapanen in after moving TVR and his $2.3M hit.

I personally like what I’ve seen from Forsberg more than Reimer as far as the backup situation in CAR goes, so I’d rather deal Gauthier. I think Gauthier has long-term 3rd line scoring wing written all over him, with the ability play up in the lineup depending on the makeup of his line.My thoughts on watching him in Clt, he’s a great skater for his size, he’s got great hands around the net and a good wrist shot off the rush and from the circles in. He is not a playmaker and he’s not as physical as he needs to be. However, he has been dominant physically in the AHL when paired with a good C (see Nic Roy paired with him in the AHL Calder Cup series final). He’s adequate defensively, but don’t expect him to PK. Imho, he’s ready for a full-time gig in the league, there’s just no room in CAR right now with guys line McGinn and Foegele in front of him and CAR roster need for skill on the PP (I.e.-Necas beat him out for the last forward spot).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm going to have to agree with @spockjerk that it is not likely you'd get any retention. I think all three of the players could be moved, however, as I think the one way contract Forsberg has is probably enough to push it over the top. Plus, our management loves to have more picks.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
...what about

Nylander & Ceci for Josh Anderson, David Savard + something else
Andreas Johnsson for Nick Ritchie
Nic Petan & 4th for Luke Glendening (50% retained)
Kasperi Kapanen for Tristian Jarry

when healthy*

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Mikheyev/Matthews/Anderson
Ritchie/Kerfoot/Spezza
Moore/Gauthier/Glendening
Shore /Timashov

Rielly/Savard
Muzzin/Barrie
Dermott/Holl
Marincin

Andersen/Jarry

Less skill...more grit but tons of weapons up front plus more cap space! problem solved

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Counter Ullmark+ Playoff protected 1st for Kap + Hutch

Don’t want Hutch and we need to clear out another contract anyway, hence Nelson being included. Normally he’s in Buffalo, but we have no room at all for him. And we gotta figure out what to do once Scandella, Bogosian, Montour and Pilut come back from injury (Bogo and Scandella are probably traded, Risto might be, Pilut is probably going to Rochester).

Counter: Kapanen + Hutch + 3rd

for

Ullmark, Nelson, playoff protected 1st. If we make it Leafs get the pick. If we miss, Leafs get a 2nd

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I’ve been to 2 games this season, and Goat has been visible positively to me, you can tell he’s a lot more confident and is using his size.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
If the Islanders were to move Mayfield and his stupidly low contract(3 more years at 1.45mil) it would be a perfect fit for Toronto's need. I just don't think LL and Trotz would ever move him with that contract and the value he provides.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
McKeown for Bracco makes more sense, although neither do anything for Toronto's current NHL cap. Could help next season with filling in for the pending UFAs on D.
McKeown just cleared waivers. Bracco believe it or not is actually a quality prospect.

He's probably worth more than Gauthier as well, the Leafs just need another player type for their team makeup.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
2nd + RD Matt Benning + Kharia for Kapanen.

Gives the Leafs grit on both forward and blue line. I’m not a fan of either player so I added a 2nd. If Toronto doesn’t want a pick I’d switch it for Puljujarvi and take an AHL depth contract back

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Something around Hamonic for Kapanen could make sense for both teams. Gives the Leafs a boost defensively and in the grit area and the Flames get an actual middle 6 RHS RWer.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Counter- Stecher +Keppen +4th for Kap

In a heartbeat. Kap would add even more scoring depth and is already a decent on pk. Kapanen also fits our age group and still signed

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Kapanen
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
In a heartbeat. Kap would add even more scoring depth and is already a decent on pk. Kapanen also fits our age group and still signed

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Kapanen
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko

That would be a great deal if the Leafs were in the business of helping out the Canucks. Why would the Leafs trade Kapanen for an undersized bottom pairing dman? Especially the kid of defensemen Toronto has an abundance of. If they're trading Kapanen it better be for a guy like Mayfield.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

If that's too easy, where would you draw the line in terms of pick/prospect?

@cheveldae Looks fine, but if the Sabres don't make the playoffs and the pick drops to a 2nd the Leafs 3rd drops out

@Bazeek, would you add to Pateryn to get one of the wingers (if so, what) or looking at a different deal entirely? Would you be willing to retain?

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Something around Hamonic for Kapanen could make sense for both teams. Gives the Leafs a boost defensively and in the grit area and the Flames get an actual middle 6 RHS RWer.

Hamonic would need to be retained to 3.2, we don't have any extra space

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If that's too easy, where would you draw the line in terms of pick/prospect?

@cheveldae Looks fine, but if the Sabres don't make the playoffs and the pick drops to a 2nd the Leafs 3rd drops out

@Bazeek, would you add to Pateryn to get one of the wingers (if so, what) or looking at a different deal entirely? Would you be willing to retain?

Done deal for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad