Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For me the most important factor is that he's a proven winner. Not only what he's done with the 67s, but he was selected to coach team Canada 11 times! Considering the deep bench up North, that tells me he's highly respected as a coach by people that know a lot more about it than me.
Highly respected coaching kids. NHL totally different.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
According to the 31 thoughts podcast, someone said “don’t be surprised” if Mario Duhamel (his assistant coach for the Otttawa 67’s) joins him.
A lot had been made of their relationship. They’re tight. Duhamel doesn’t scream NHL to me. One of the reasons I was excited about the Groulx rumor is that it likely meant Tourigny would be able to live without Duhamel and will have “his guy” on the bench and in the coaches room with him in Groulx.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's funny how two of Tourigny's biggest strengths are probably Tocchet's two greatest weaknesses:

1. He's prepared and his teams start on time
2. He's a magician at in-game adjustments
And then Tocchet’s main strengths are the soft skill stuff that Tourigny gets complimented in in nearly the same way and to the same degree. Tocchet has a bunch of Stanley Cups though.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
People are coming out of the woodwork to praise this hire. People who I never heard of touting their bona fides.

What could possibly go wrong?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
People are coming out of the woodwork to praise this hire. People who I never heard of touting their bona fides.

What could possibly go wrong?

6DC56FBA-6FFD-41B6-96A0-7B74B1F69E09.gif

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If Tourigny is as great at getting the most out of players as everyone says he is, than players like DeBrusk become very interesting in aquiring. What are some other players who have been struggling on their teams but have decent pedigree? What about some of his 67's who have recently been draftes?

rt

May 13, 2004
If Tourigny is as great at getting the most out of players as everyone says he is, than players like DeBrusk become very interesting in aquiring. What are some other players who have been struggling on their teams but have decent pedigree? What about some of his 67's who have recently been draftes?
Like Bahl and Hoeffenmayer! :) :| :(

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He's a top coach in the OHL, despite the 67's not doing so hot in the past he's always ran the team very well and they've always been contenders and are very good since he joined. His teams are well rounded and are very good defensively, having the lowest GA total in the OHL 2 years going, prior to that finishing 5th in his first year without a ton of talent and going down 4-1 in the playoffs against the eventual champs.

I'm a lot more excited about him than I was about Tocchet, I've always felt this team needed a coach who played based on merit and was good at developing talent on both ends and that to me is exactly what Tourigny is. I sincerely hope we finally see a Hayton resurgence and get a lot of our other talent like Keller, Schmaltz, Chychrun, Dvorak etc going in and getting engaged in the play on both ends.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Highly respected coaching kids. NHL totally different.
Tourigny would've been perfect at the time we hired Tocchet. Our "core" were still kids. They're still young so I think he should be able to get through to them. Hayton is still young, Soderstrom is still a kid, as well as Jenik, Maccelli. It's too bad our prospect pool is so small right now.

Also listening to that podcast he's a hockey junkie. Always chatting with other coaches on how to get better. I think he'll be as prepared as anyone to make the switch from Jr. to NHL. Also does have 3 years in the NHL.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m cautiously optimistic. I guess my biggest fear is that after all of this we’ll still be watching the same crappy soulless defensive boring hockey that we’ve become so accustomed to over the last 4-5 years.

Team needs a heart transplant. Started with getting rid of Tocchet. Now trade OEL and bring in players who give a damn and will stick up for one another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad