Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You haven’t explained why every sports team charges for parking, and why the Senators should be different.

Because of land value. Parking downtown is valuable. Parking in the suburbs is not.

That almost all parking downtown cost money, and almost all parking in the suburbs is free is evidence of this.

Almost all stadiums are downtown, so it makes sense...then the few that are in the suburbs are like "hey, if other stadiums charge for parking, why not us?" Without realizing they can justify charging because they're downtown.

Build your arena downtown and then charge for parking..

Charging for parking in a farmer's field is silly. You almost have to have world appeal for it to make sense, like Disney world.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That’s nice, why did you reply to me, if not answering question
When did a 1 billion building become 3 billion?

You believe the “it’ll only be a billion and we’ll be done on time” line?

This is Ottawa. It won’t be easy and it won’t be on time and it won’t be on budget.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because of land value. Parking downtown is valuable. Parking in the suburbs is not.

That almost all parking downtown cost money, and almost all parking in the suburbs is free is evidence of this.

Almost all stadiums are downtown, so it makes sense...then the few that are in the suburbs are like "hey, if other stadiums charge for parking, why not us?" Without realizing they can justify charging because they're downtown.

Charging for parking in a farmer's field is silly.
It’s not a downtown vs suburb thing as all sport venues charge it, regardless where your building is.

Why isn’t the airport free parking, it’s in farmers fields.?

Unfortunately it’s a reality with sports venues.

You believe the “it’ll only be a billion and we’ll be done on time” line?

This is Ottawa. It won’t be easy and it won’t be on time and it won’t be on budget.
You believe it’s 3 billion 🤣, try doing stand up comedy, you’re good.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It’s not a downtown vs suburb thing as all sport venues charge it, regardless where your building is.

Why isn’t the airport free parking, it’s in farmers fields.?

Unfortunately it’s a reality.

It's a cash grab because there is no alternative. You can't just take the airport that offers free parking instead. They know this so they charge because you have no other choice. Not because it's a solid business practice with your customers. It's realizing you've got them pinched at the ear and you take advantage of it.

The restaurant or mall won't charge you because if they did, you would go elsewhere.

This isn't some positive between the organization and its fans. It's a "haha motherf***ers, you can't watch NHL hockey anywhere else, so we'll just tack on an extra $$$ for shits and giggles to pad our pocket at our customers expense."

Fans realize this, so they park a block away in any direction and park for free. Everyone I know does this..only suckers pay something like $17 to park in a farmer's field when you're already paying like $100 for a ticket to watch the team lose 3-1 in an uneventful evening.

Those companies downtown pay a premium for the land value and recoup it by charging parking knowing you have to pay for parking everywhere around.

The senators on the other hand, decided to build where land was much cheaper, so they don't need to recoup as much cost for the parking, and no one else around them charges for parking lol...so it doesn't make sense in that way either.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
I haven't paid for parking in over 4 years. While it its an awful drive (took me 1.5 hours to get there yesterday), I'm glad i dont pay for parking. and im on the highway in less than 5 minutes. no brainer

Reactions: StoicSensFan

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Charging for parking in a farmer's field is silly. You almost have to have world appeal for it to make sense, like Disney world.
What a ridiculous statement. Land value lol. Clearly you have the cottage you got for free and have no clue how much those farmer fields costs. Backwards thinking, let’s make the professional hockey team a charity while you’re at it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's a cash grab because there is no alternative. You can't just take the airport that offers free parking instead. They know this so they charge because you have no other choice. Not because it's a solid business practice with your customers. It's realizing you've got them pinched at the ear and you take advantage of it.

The restaurant or mall won't charge you because if they did, you would go elsewhere.

This isn't some positive between the organization and its fans. It's a "haha motherf***ers, you can't watch NHL hockey anywhere else, so we'll just tack on an extra $$$ for shits and giggles to pad our pocket at our customers expense."

Fans realize this, so they park a block away in any direction and park for free. Everyone I know does this..only suckers pay something like $17 to park in a farmer's field when you're already paying like $100 for a ticket to watch the team lose 3-1 in an uneventful evening.

Those companies downtown pay a premium for the land value and recoup it by charging parking knowing you have to pay for parking everywhere around.

The senators on the other hand, decided to build where land was much cheaper, so they don't need to recoup as much cost for the parking, and no one else around them charges for parking lol...so it doesn't make sense in that way either.
Or if you’re a STH for long enough , you get discounted parking or free parking as we ended up getting eventually.

I don’t see the Sens setting a precedent for sports leagues by not charging for parking, when close to bottom of the league in revenues.

Reactions: mysens

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Wasn't creating Capital Parking or whatever it was called one of the smart things Melnyk did to bring this team closer to profitability? I recall early on him saying you can't be profitable without these other streams of revenue and that was a huge one, partially due to all the other events.

At 16k fans the Sens aren't printing money. They need these things. It sucks for the fans but as an owner with a large amount of risk you need offsets from additional streams of revenue.

This franchise has walked on eggshells for most of its existence with regards to profitability. When you are leveraged and in it for $1B and have partners you are accountable to you need to squeeze profit until the market says no. If a patron doesn't like it they don't need to support it and maybe the market can force a new model. But when I see 5000 cars lined up all the way to parking lot Z, of course they are going to make money off that kind of demand.

I'm an out of towner and go to 1 game per year. This year we ho'd and hummed about how to get there and settled on driving. The $20 for parking was factored in and entirely our choice.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We'll, going out on a whim here, I am sure that the businesses he mentioned that don't charge for parking still have to pay to get their parking lots cleared.

And you'll say "the sens parking lot is much bigger than a restaurants parking" in which case I'll say "18,000 tickets sold at an average of $80 a ticket will bring in a lot more revenue than selling a hundred $20 meals, so it's all relative."

The overwhelming majority of businesses in the middle of nowhere don't charge for parking. It's part of the businesses expense of bringing customers in through their doors.

It's definitely price gauging.

That's why I've been to a hundred or more games by car over the years and I've never paid for parking..I'm sure there are thousands in the same boat.

And like $20-25 too? At least make it like $5 and you'd get way less complaints.

No, just park a block away for free. Park closer to the on ramp and you probably pass a thousand stationary cars as you walk to your car and jump ahead of the line. Free.
You do you.

Reactions: coladin

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Literally... stay home. Like seriously. Stay home. That's the alternative

The price to attend games is what it is. Beer is what it is. Parking is what it is.

If you don't like it then stay home. There's a very simple solution here.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The price to attend games is what it is. Beer is what it is. Parking is what it is.

It’s hard to spend money on a team you’re told has changed and then see Giroux in game 4 not hustle on home ice. That’s why it feels expnsepve, because the players are ripping us off with their effort

if you’re charging for something expensive, make it a good product.

Sens fans will be happy to pay for tickets, but they know what winning hockey looks like. This ain’t winning hockey. When the standard is the Captain and the A’s are the hardest working people on the team, not the best personalities. We will begin to win and the price will be worth it

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

No, just drive and park a block away for free. Also, drink your cheap beers before the game so you arrive with a nice buzz.

Or, bring liquor through a plastic flask.

Used to line up 3-4 tall cans at the belt line before the metal detectors.

Also used to have a friend who worked there and would give us "popcorn specials" lol the giant popcorn buckets that would go to the boxes, but with 4 tall cans buried inside. Meet him every intermission on the concourse.

There are obviously ways to get around things. I've already found solutions to my problems that don't involve staying home.

Thank you, come again! :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It’s hard to spend money on a team you’re told has changed and then see Giroux in game 4 not hustle on home ice. That’s why it feels expnsepve, because the players are ripping us off with their effort

if you’re charging for something expensive, make it a good product.

Sens fans will be happy to pay for tickets, but they know what winning hockey looks like. This ain’t winning hockey. When the standard is the Captain and the A’s are the hardest working people on the team, not the best personalities. We will begin to win and the price will be worth it
Then stay home. Vote with your wallet

We are year 2 under new ownership

People don't like driving to the suburbs. Ok. Well let's build a new rink downtown. Sure that works. It's gonna cost a billion bucks though. No worries. That's the going rate. And they're better not be any tax dollars going to that.

So what we have basically is:
1. Complaints about the existing situation
2. A desire for a brand new facility
3. An unwillingness to pay even remotely close to league averages to attend games

Which all boils down to

I want world class professional sports entertainment but I want it at a Walmart price point

Good luck with that Tuna.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Then stay home. Vote with your wallet

We are year 2 under new ownership

People don't like driving to the suburbs. Ok. Well let's build a new rink downtown. Sure that works. It's gonna cost a billion bucks though. No worries. That's the going rate. And they're better not be any tax dollars going to that.

So what we have basically is:
1. Complaints about the existing situation
2. A desire for a brand new facility
3. An unwillingness to pay even remotely close to league averages to attend games

Which all boils down to

I want world class professional sports entertainment but I want it at a Walmart price point

Good luck with that Tuna.
Tuna thinks the new building will cost 3 billion 😂

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, just drive and park a block away for free. Also, drink your cheap beers before the game so you arrive with a nice buzz.

Or, bring liquor through a plastic flask.

Used to line up 3-4 tall cans at the belt line before the metal detectors.

Also used to have a friend who worked there and would give us "popcorn specials" lol the giant popcorn buckets that would go to the boxes, but with 4 tall cans buried inside. Meet him every intermission on the concourse.

There are obviously ways to get around things. I've already found solutions to my problems that don't involve staying home.

Thank you, come again! :)
Just my opinion but you probably should be banned from attending

I know if I worked for the Sens and nailed your buddy for the popcorn thing, he'd be fired, you'd be banned

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just my opinion but you probably should be banned from attending

I know if I worked for the Sens and nailed your buddy for the popcorn thing, he'd be fired, you'd be banned

Good luck banning fans.

You also seem like the least fun person at a party. Would complain that people drank beforehand or brought their own booze in the venue. Real fun dude.

What a ridiculous statement. Land value lol. Clearly you have the cottage you got for free and have no clue how much those farmer fields costs. Backwards thinking, let’s make the professional hockey team a charity while you’re at it.

You obviously have no idea. Look at how much an acre would be in Orleans or Kanata vs downtown Ottawa. Not even on the same stratosphere...

And you tried to claim my statement was ridiculous? Yikes!

• Haha

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
MGood luck banning fans.

You also seem like the least fun person at a party. Would complain that people drank beforehand or brought their own booze in the venue. Real fun dude.
you're on a message board bitching about prices and highlighting all the different ways you've illegally brought alcohol into the building or had your concessions friends steal it for you...

I wouldn't just ban you, I'd charge you

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
you're on a message board bitching about prices and highlighting all the different ways you've illegally brought alcohol into the building or had your concessions friends steal it for you...

I wouldn't just ban you, I'd charge you

It's not illegal to bring alcohol on private property..it might be against that properties rules, but it's not against the law.

Beer was given to me.

Charge me with what?

I went to a restaurant once and the bartender gave me a beer on the house. Should I be charged for accepting a free beer?

You make no sense. Charge people for accepting free shit or bringing alcohol with you as an adult? Get real.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's not illegal to bring alcohol on private property..it might be against that properties rules, but it's not against the law.

Beer was given to me.

Charge me with what?

I went to a restaurant once and the bartender gave me a beer on the house. Should I be charged for accepting a free beer?

You make no sense. Charge people for accepting free shit or bringing alcohol with you as an adult? Get real.
Tall cans buried inside popcorn isn't being given beer. And there's no one working game day concessions that's authorized to be giving away free beer.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Beer was given to me.

Charge me with what?

Do you actually think this is the same as someone hiding beers inside of a container that would never have beer in it? Does it really need to be explained to you that people hide things when they think what they are doing is wrong?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Tall cans buried inside popcorn isn't being given beer. And there's no one working game day concessions that's authorized to be giving away free beer.
That's a them problem. Its not illegal for me to accept this gift from someone who works for the host lol. Sorry to tell you. They can be in shit, but good luck to that.

Do you actually think this is the same as someone hiding beers inside of a container that would never have beer in it? Does it really need to be explained to you that people hide things when they think what they are doing is wrong?

Nope, but apparently it needs to be explained to you that accepting beer from someone isn't illegal lol nor is bringing alcohol onto private property lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad