Recalled/Assigned: Andersson to Hartford

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I can’t believe there are people lobbying for him to get more time. He’s clearly not fast enough yet for the NHL, which was a concern I had before the season even started. Hopefully he’ll actually address it, unlike Stepan who never seemed to improve on it.

Lias could be a very good #2C, but his skating could also be the thing that would hold him back from being that.

Reactions: bernmeister

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
22-23 when he won MVP in Sweden. You are criticizing 19-20 year olds for not being NHL ready which is a joke. It took Zuccarello until he was 26 to be a regular in the NHL.

Facts over feelings

Where did I say he became MVP at age 20? But I did say that he showed talents at that age we don't see from any of the kids here.

Zucc didn't even plan to become an NHL-player. He was playing for Norway against Canada in the Vancouver Olympics back in 2010. Slats was there to watch Canada, but after the game he went into Norway's locker room and grabbed Zucc. Hey, you're going to play for us!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Well, I rarely agree with Webster but he does have a point. Since his hot streak ended, Chytil has been a bit meh. Aside from that empty net goal, he's been invisible for large chunks of the games. Same with Howden. It's normal and to be expected of teenagers, but should not be ignored.
Most teenagers are inconsistent
Chytil has shown flashes of dominance and once he gets stronger and improves his shot, both of which are easily fixable, he’ll be great
Chytil doesn’t look just average for a rookie and he makes plays happen every game. Sure he won’t dominate every shift, but the kid’s 19 years old and looks no where near a finished product
Howden I agree with though, he’s looked pretty bad for the past 10 games or so but again, it’s expected
I’ve been very happy from what I’ve seen with Chytil though

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Where did I say he became MVP at age 20? But I did say that he showed talents at that age we don't see from any of the kids here.

Zucc didn't even plan to become an NHL-player. He was playing for Norway against Canada in the Vancouver Olympics back in 2010. Slats was there to watch Canada, but after the game he went into Norway's locker room and grabbed Zucc. Hey, you're going to play for us!

And it still took him until he was 26(!) before he became a regular in the NHL. Something you complain about with these 19- and 20-year old players

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I honestly don’t understand what kind of opportunity that Andersson didn’t get compared to Howden. The last few games Andersson played with Strome and Nieves. Before he had spent a few games on the same 3rd line as Howden. Even forgetting points Howden has been more involved than Andersson and, given options, Howden earned this spot in the lineup.
The opportunity I'm talking about is to get a shot as the 3C with Vesey and Namestnikov. Howden won that spot out of camp and played great for the first 15 games, but IMO has not been at all good since then. I don't see him driving play. I see a rookie who is struggling to make anything happen right now.

Andersson plays with Strome and Nieves primarily. Or Strome and McLeod or whatever else. Strome is fine as a fourth line player but the other guys, Nieves, Lettieri, McLeod, it's debatable whether they are NHL players at his point. Tough to do much with a 4th liner and a 4A player/goon on your wings playing 8 minutes.

Again, I'm not saying Andersson has been treated unfairly or that Howden didn't deserve the spot he has held all year. But Howden is struggling now and it just seems like it would have made sense to give Lias an opportunity with more TOI and better wings to show what he can do, rather than just sending him down. Just IMO.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Lots of hockey to be played. January, February, March, Ap. That should be plenty of time for Chad to clear the AHL level and work on the things he's been lacking at the NHL level.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
It's Probably a bit of both. Chytil has had stretches of inconsistency, but shows flashes of skill and has moments you'll likely never see from Andersson. Lias could have been given better linemates, although, it isn't a slight on Lias to say that Chytil has shown more.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good.

I also don’t think this stint was a ‘fail’ for him. I like the mix. Hard work before and during camp. A bunch of games in the AHL. Then a much easier ride for him in the NHL during which he can hit the gym a lot and still have time to recover. Now back to the AHL in January.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
And it still took him until he was 26(!) before he became a regular in the NHL. Something you complain about with these 19- and 20-year old players
This is true and important to remember with all these guys. Most players don’t really “surcface” until 22 or 23 or even later for a lot of goalies and defenders. That’s part of the reasoning behind my wanting to keep a guy like McQuaid around. Not as a “deterrent” per se, but as an example of how to protect oneself and teach some physicality. I think the best players won’t be big “power” players but skilled guys who can take it and give and stay healthy. Having a Papa or two around is good.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I am in no way suggesting that Lias is a bust. I mean who the hell am I to make that judgment? I don't think it's an indictment on the player where he's drafted especially in a league like the NHL. It's more an indictment on the scouting department and the Director of Scouting. If the Andersson and Chytil picks were swapped then I don't think this is as big of a deal as people on social media are making it.

Reactions: BroadwayStorm

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
. If the Andersson and Chytil picks were swapped then I don't think this is as big of a deal as people on social media are making it.
You’re correct absolutely. Unfortunately it is what it is at this point though

Hopefully the guys they passed on don’t make the team look to bad haha

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Crap ton of our players in recent years were sent back to the AHL for seasoning before coming back up and taking on a more permanent role (Callahan, Kreider, Dubinsky, Miller, Korpikoski, Zucc, Fast). This is isn't really surprising in the least bit... if anything it's been the standard process for our young kids. I think the only exception was Stepan who jumped in straight for college and never looked back. Anyone that thinks this is an indication of him being a bust in some way is grasping as straws trying to fulfill their agenda

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Seems to me, whether they recognize it or not, many posters here are judging Andersson, Howden, and even to some extent Chytil, as if they were top 1-3 picks with their expectations. Sure, we've seen guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc. come in and dictate play right away, but they are by far the exception – and indeed, that's why they were taken where they were. MOST players, including many that go on to become stars in the league, require several years of development post-draft before they hit their stride in the NHL. And that's even on top teams; bear in mind, the fact that the Rangers are such a shitshow actually makes it harder for these young guys to succeed. Yoyo-ing them up and down is to be expected, and we should hardly be calling anyone a bust as a result; heck, I'd argue that the fact that they're having short stints of limited success at the NHL level so early after being drafted is a good sign.

If you'd like some perspective on how they're doing in comparison to other players taken in their draft years, check out the following links, and click on the names of all the other players taken outside the top 3-5 to see where they're currently playing...

2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

If Andersson and Howden are still struggling in 2-3 years, we can start to worry. For now, just remember, if they'd gone the college route, they'd be just 10-20 games into their sophomore/junior seasons...

Last edited:

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I am in no way suggesting that Lias is a bust. I mean who the hell am I to make that judgment? I don't think it's an indictment on the player where he's drafted especially in a league like the NHL. It's more an indictment on the scouting department and the Director of Scouting. If the Andersson and Chytil picks were swapped then I don't think this is as big of a deal as people on social media are making it.
You are correct but that is not what happened. Which implies there was a much better use for that pick at that spot. And it will always follow this kid around.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
You are correct but that is not what happened. Which implies there was a much better use for that pick at that spot. And it will always follow this kid around.
What was that better use? From my perspective, there is nobody else I would have taken in that spot that was drafted, 8-20. Mittestadt is a no from me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Clark and Gorton would have been lynched if they had picked a 3rd round projection 7th overall :laugh:

We never hear anyone complain about Chytil being a reach. His projection ranged from 44th to 72nd on draft day

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What was that better use? From my perspective, there is nobody else I would have taken in that spot that was drafted, 8-20. Mittestadt is a no from me.
Off the top of my head, I’d rather have Mittelstadt and Necas, and then there are a couple guys I could go either way. Depends on my mood

But there aren’t many guys at this time

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Off the top of my head, I’d rather have Mittelstadt and Necas, and then there are a couple guys I could go either way. Depends on my mood

But there aren’t many guys at this time

For me it was Brannstrom or Necas on draft day I would have been happy with aside from Lias, not necessarily over Lias

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Clark and Gorton would have been lynched if they had picked a 3rd round projection 7th overall :laugh:

We never hear anyone complain about Chytil being a reach. His projection ranged from 44th to 72nd on draft day

It’s not like Chytil is tearing it up besides that one stretch he’s just getting more minutes and more noticeable

Andersson will be fine he just didn’t get the minutes . He’s doing just fine in the AHL in scoring

They will trade Hayes then Andersson and Howden play more

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
It’s not like Chytil is tearing it up besides that one stretch he’s just getting more minutes and more noticeable

Andersson will be fine he just didn’t get the minutes . He’s doing just fine in the AHL in scoring

They will trade Hayes then Andersson and Howden play more
It's not about the stats. It's the visible skillset. You can see Chytil struggle to score because he is a rookie but you can see flashes of talent and brilliance. That are going to translate into a better kind of player when he puts it together. I have seen none of that with Lias so far.

That said I wanted Brannstrom over Lias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad