Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Simone Biles is a f'n beast. amazing watching her perform.

Pretty embarrassing looking back at those hot takes saying she was "weak" when she took her mental health break in Tokyo. Undeniably One of the greatest American athletes of all-time.

I'll miss her repping the Packers this year, too.

biles-owens-3-2.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pretty embarrassing looking back at those hot takes saying she was "weak" when she took her mental health break in Tokyo. Undeniably One of the greatest American athletes of all-time.
It's entirely possible that I missed the criticism you're referring to, since I tend to have a, "live under a rock" view of most world events. But assuming that did indeed happen, then yeah, that's absurd. Even if she never competed again, taking care of your body AND mind is crucial, and the ancient stigma about mental health needs to die a rapid and excruciating death.

I'll miss her repping the Packers this year, too.

biles-owens-3-2.jpg
Photographic evidence that nobody is perfect. :D

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Arizona has Jets Pizza franchises now. It's a good option for Detroit style.
I've tried Jets a couple times and it's good, but The Rec is on another level. I'm sure y'all have some excellent, high-quality Detroit-style options. Your style is my new favorite pizza. The crust is thicker than what I'm used to, but it soaks up the yummy grease from the toppings and also the edges are caramelized. It is super and also duper!

Reactions: Konnan511

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Any of you guys have good recommendations for deep dish near Wrigley Field? I’m thinking our resident Chicagoan, @jaster?

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Any of you guys have good recommendations for deep dish near Wrigley Field? I’m thinking our resident Chicagoan, @jaster?
Hmmm. Good pizza near the stadium is Dimo’s and Coalfire in my mind, but those are NY and Neapolitan-ish style, respectively. A little further from the stadium you can find A+ deep dish at Pequod’s, Art of Pizza, and Bartoli’s.

Am I too late with these recs? :laugh:

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Hmmm. Good pizza near the stadium is Dimo’s and Coalfire in my mind, but those are NY and Neapolitan-ish style, respectively. A little further from the stadium you can find A+ deep dish at Pequod’s, Art of Pizza, and Bartoli’s.

Am I too late with these recs? :laugh:
Nah. Going to be in town on a layover on the 16th as I travel to Milwaukee to watch Cleveland play ball.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Nah. Going to be in town on a layover on the 16th as I travel to Milwaukee to watch Cleveland play ball.
Damn how long is your layover that you have time to go to Wrigleyville and wait for a deep dish to be baked??

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Damn how long is your layover that you have time to go to Wrigleyville and wait for a deep dish to be baked??
Well, a day or so. I’m flying in then driving up for Saturday and Sunday’s Milwaukee games.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Well, a day or so. I’m flying in then driving up for Saturday and Sunday’s Milwaukee games.
Gotcha, I was imagining a layover between flights. Sounds like a good trip. If it works out, I recommend hitting up the Brat Stop in Kenosha, right off the highway on the way to Milwaukee.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Gotcha, I was imagining a layover between flights. Sounds like a good trip. If it works out, I recommend hitting up the Brat Stop in Kenosha, right off the highway on the way to Milwaukee.
Okay, that’s added to the list.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's entirely possible that I missed the criticism you're referring to, since I tend to have a, "live under a rock" view of most world events. But assuming that did indeed happen, then yeah, that's absurd. Even if she never competed again, taking care of your body AND mind is crucial, and the ancient stigma about mental health needs to die a rapid and excruciating death.
Wasn't one of the big theories trying to justify why the red wings just ran a good player out of town that he took some time off to take care of his body and mind?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Wasn't one of the big theories trying to justify why the red wings just ran a good player out of town that he took some time off to take care of his body and mind?
What good player? Walman?

Or are you talking about Fedorov back in 2004? Because the Fedorov thing was rooted in him holding Ilitch's feet to the fire, signing the offer sheet with Carolina, forcing Ilitch to do a bank run to get the money to pay his 26M signing bonus... so although Fedorov said "Oh, I need a break because Anna dumped me and I had this and this and this happen, Mr. I and co took it as stalling for negotiations. Also... Mr. I was generous with his wallet, but if you held out for more than his "generous" offer, he'd pull it up off the table and he was done with you. See Max Scherzer with the 6/144 deal.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
What good player? Walman?

Or are you talking about Fedorov back in 2004? Because the Fedorov thing was rooted in him holding Ilitch's feet to the fire, signing the offer sheet with Carolina, forcing Ilitch to do a bank run to get the money to pay his 26M signing bonus... so although Fedorov said "Oh, I need a break because Anna dumped me and I had this and this and this happen, Mr. I and co took it as stalling for negotiations. Also... Mr. I was generous with his wallet, but if you held out for more than his "generous" offer, he'd pull it up off the table and he was done with you. See Max Scherzer with the 6/144 deal.
I was talking about Walman

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I was talking about Walman
I had thought that Walman allegedly did not buy into the strategy for the team, and he was part of the (alleged) divide in the locker room.

I had not heard anything about an issue with physical or mental health, but maybe I missed that.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
I had thought that Walman allegedly did not buy into the strategy for the team, and he was part of the (alleged) divide in the locker room.

I had not heard anything about an issue with physical or mental health, but maybe I missed that.
There was a rumor that he was cleared from injury by doctors but refused to come back into the lineup.

This is only a rumor at this point. My point with that is, when looking for an explanation on why we paid to get rid of a pretty good player, one of the reasons was that player was a locker room cancer because he was looking out for his own health.

This feels like it got a bit convoluted. My overall point is what Simone Biles did was in fact, weak as shit. and if Dylan Larkin, Moritz Seider, or Patrick Mahomes pulled out of a championship game for similar reasons, people would lose their minds.

• Haha
Reactions: Konnan511

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My overall point is what Simone Biles did was in fact, weak as shit.

This dude on his keyboard calling the greatest gymnast of all-time, one of the most decorated Olympic athletes of all time "weak as shit."

Yeah man, it's super weak to be the best over and over and over and over...

Where do you come up with this stuff? But given your specific verbage of "weak", I have a hunch where you're getting your marching orders.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
This dude on his keyboard calling the greatest gymnist of all-time, one of the most decorated Olympic athletes of all time "weak as shit."

Where do you come up with this stuff? But given your specific verbage of "weak", I have a hunch where you're getting your marching orders.

I don't follow gymnastics or the olympic games. I do not suspect many follow the events displayed in these games (other than the main stream sports). This one is certainly one of them. From the last games, it was she who built the pressure through her endorsements. That she helped with the big build up is on her. The bigger issue, as I recall, was that SHE QUIT. She was NOT the best in those games, cost her teammates an opportunity at gold (meaning $$$$) and another gymnast didn't get the experience.

That is what I recall. I took a minute to look it up and the take at the link sums up the take.

Greatest ever, #5, #2 .... I don't know, don't care. I can't name but two (Mary Lou Redden and Olga Korbit) but was she weak in the last games... yep. Will any of us post on gymnastics again for 4 years... nope.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
This dude on his keyboard calling the greatest gymnist of all-time, one of the most decorated Olympic athletes of all time "weak as shit."

People call Justin Holl "garbage" all the time. It is reasonably inferred that it means "garbage in relation to his peers of professional athletes, and I am no where near close."

I don't know how you can act like you don't realize that, especially when I brought up examples of elite athletes.

If in 2010, in warmups for the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers said "you know what, my head isn't in the right space, and that James Harrison is a bad dude. I don't want to get hurt, so I'm going to sit this one out", you wouldn't have an issue with it?

And if in warmups for the Super Bowl this year, Jared Goff says "you know what, my head isn't in the right space, and that Chris Jones is a bad dude. I don't want to get hurt, so I'm going to sit this one out", I'm sure as hell going to call him weak as shit.

Yeah... if you are implying any of the things I think you are implying, you couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That is what I recall. I took a minute to look it up and the take at the link sums up the take.

Clay Travis, eh? Is this really the guy you want to represent your takes? He's had some doozies. He said several hundred people would die from COVID in the US. Whoopies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
People call Justin Holl "garbage" all the time. It is reasonably inferred that it means "garbage in relation to his peers of professional athletes, and I am no where near close."

I don't know how you can act like you don't realize that, especially when I brought up examples of elite athletes.

If in 2010, in warmups for the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers said "you know what, my head isn't in the right space, and that James Harrison is a bad dude. I don't want to get hurt, so I'm going to sit this one out", you wouldn't have an issue with it?

And if in warmups for the Super Bowl this year, Jared Goff says "you know what, my head isn't in the right space, and that Chris Jones is a bad dude. I don't want to get hurt, so I'm going to sit this one out", I'm sure as hell going to call him weak as shit.

Yeah... if you are implying any of the things I think you are implying, you couldn't be more wrong.

I don't have an issue with your fabricated hypotheticals because I'm evaluating what actually happened. And seeing someone who knew they couldn't perform to their usual standard and as a result decided it was best for them and the team to pull out. And knowing your limits and when to call it is not weak. Getting help is not weak.

Simone has been spectacular in these current Olympics at age 27 (3 gold , 1 silver) so obviously she made the correct decision long-term, even if people like you are hung up on her decisions and labeling them as negative.

To put it into terms you can understand, if Jared Goff was NFL MVP numerous times and won half a dozen Super Bowls but pulled out of one big game... Yeah dude, I wouldn't think he was weak. At all. I'd think he's one of the best of all-time and that takes a level of commitment and toll that most of us will never understand. I'd trust Goff to make the right decision for himself given his massive track record of success and being one of the best to ever do the job.

The question is why you think you know better than Simone Biles?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Do people honestly think Biles just got nervous? She lost the ability to track her time and space while flipping through the air at however fast she's going. If a QB got something similar, an inability to track distance/speed/depth-perception/etc... yeah they are dumb as f*** if they go out on the field. Likely to hurt themselves or others. Let alone be able to judge pass routes and shit. It would be a trainwreck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00