GDT: Anaheim @ San Jose, 7pm Pacific

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He has fewer defensive responsibilities at wing, but is less engaged on both ends of the ice. He is a natural center, best with the puck in the middle of the ice. I'd like them to play him at center, with less difficult defensive matchups.
Idk what you do with zegras anymore…. But he def doesn’t have the same swagger on the ice that he did his first 2 years

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Idk what you do with zegras anymore…. But he def doesn’t have the same swagger on the ice that he did his first 2 years
No question. In an effort to make him more responsible defensively, they've clipped his wings a bit. It's now up to Zegras to find the sweet spot where he creates, but is still playable in his own end.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Zegras must looks like he has lost confidence.

I don't think confidence is something Z ever loses, but it's how he is being used. Maybe he needs a quarter or half the season to process things defensively to make it more automatic to his game like his offense. It doesn't help that Z was put at LW in one game, C with AHLers the next game, and RW in this last game.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
They're literally coaching the offense out of him in the name of "defensive responsibility". A man can do both.

As an aside, this is why I've always balked when people keep saying they want to see Z develop as a center. I don't think that's a good use of his abilities. He's such an offensive dynamo when he's mostly freed from big defensive responsibilities that any offensive-minded coach would have penciled him to a winger role and gotten a more defensively responsible center for him just to allow him to shine doing what he's the best at.
I think the coaches would say that it’s up to him to figure that out. I guess it’ll be a process but this seems like a pretty silly use of a powerful offensive weapon.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I’m putting Zegras as the 3rd line center with Colangelo and maybe Fabbri.

The Ducks need to see him play against easier matchups where he can succeed.

With Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras you can’t fit 3 true centers into the top 6. It then becomes either Z or Mac, because Leo is not going anywhere, or 3 lines.

John

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I would personally like to see:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Fabbri
Zegras-McTavish-Vatrano
Killorn-Strome-Terry

Yes, the 2nd line is bad defensively, but you can shelter them a little and it could be dynamic offensively

I like the idea of Terry having his “own line”. It fits his play style the best

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would personally like to see:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Fabbri
Zegras-McTavish-Vatrano
Killorn-Strome-Terry

Yes, the 2nd line is bad defensively, but you can shelter them a little and it could be dynamic offensively
For whatever reason they seem hell bent on putting killorn w/ carlsson…. Don’t particularly love it… but gauthier and carlsson do enough on their own that I don’t think it matters much.

I do like the vatrano strome terry line, hell on paper I like zegras mctavish fabbri…. Maybe just needs time to form chemistry….. I’m actually cool if they keep the lines the same as last night for a few games and see how it goes.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It’s a bad look for Cronin and even Pat if they can’t find a way to make Zegs productive. Even Eakins got back to back 60+ years out of him on bad to awful teams. They might need to just pull back on whatever defensive tasks they are asking of him but I’m not sure that’s the only reason he’s been invisible.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
He has fewer defensive responsibilities at wing, but is less engaged on both ends of the ice. He is a natural center, best with the puck in the middle of the ice. I'd like them to play him at center, with less difficult defensive matchups.

He's 100% a center. There are more plays to be made up the middle than on the wing. The only exception, IMO, was with Carlsson. They had great chemistry at the start of the 2023-24 season.

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think he can be fine at wing, but Zegras needs dynamic forecheckers/possession players on his line if it’s going to work. I’m not sure we have those guys unfortunately

Reactions: Mr Rogers

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It isn’t easy for smaller centers to excel on top lines. Probably Datsyuk is at the top of the list. And I’m not comparing Z to Pavel. But little guys have to be tough and strong and not just creative. Datsyuk was a real stud.

On the surface I would never see Sebastian Aho as a #1 center. Whether you like or dislike him, he takes a lot of abuse, goes into dirty areas, and keeps coming back.

With bigger and faster players in todays NHL, Zegras has to become tougher and more durable. This might be in direct conflict with his fun loving style he has had for years.

Eakins may have been the best, and worst, coach for Zegras. Pretty laid back, even he had some issues, and let Z be Z on a losing team with few options.

John

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It isn’t easy for smaller centers to excel on top lines. Probably Datsyuk is at the top of the list. And I’m not comparing Z to Pavel. But little guys have to be tough and strong and not just creative. Datsyuk was a real stud.

On the surface I would never see Sebastian Aho as a #1 center. Whether you like or dislike him, he takes a lot of abuse, goes into dirty areas, and keeps coming back.

With bigger and faster players in todays NHL, Zegras has to become tougher and more durable. This might be in direct conflict with his fun loving style he has had for years.

Eakins may have been the best, and worst, coach for Zegras. Pretty laid back, even he had some issues, and let Z be Z on a losing team with few options.

John

Eakins benched Z often. Eakins benched a lot of players if they weren't bringing it. Hell, Eakins waived Rico b/c Rico wasn't bringing his "A" game.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Zegras' problem is playing on the wing. He always sucks on the wing then starts producing again when moved back to center.

It seems that there is no shot at him playing 2c over McTavish so their solution is to turn a talented offensive center into a defensive wing. It's not going to work and it doesn't look like they want him playing 3c. So, unfortunately there is no spot on this team for Zegras anymore.

I don't want Zegras traded but I just don't see it ending up any other way. I hope he somehow figures it out at wing.

Watch if McTavish gets hurt and they move him to 2c. He'll look like a different player.

Reactions: Kalv

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
We can roll three scoring lines and should...but I don't think the coach agrees.
We are rolling three scoring lines, though. Vatrano-Strome-Terry is absolutely a scoring line, and arguably Vatrano-Strome-anyone is a third scoring line because what else are they gonna be doing?

I get the theory behind trying to turn Zegras into a wing, in a vacuum. I get it a lot less when the result is running Strome, who's even worse defensively (and obviously less effective offensively), as the center on a third scoring line instead.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey fellas, going to be locking this thread soon, since preseason is over, so would recommend to carry discussion into the roster thread. Thanks!

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I mean there have been good offensive centres in the past who were just bad or even brutal defensively - Marc Savard and Spezza come to mind for me. They might have to alter their expectations if they let him play C because I agree it truly allows him to be most effective.

I’m worried they are pushing him go so far in one direction that it’s completely destroying his offense. Some guys can make the switch and make it work but not everyone and Zegs might be the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad