GDT: Anaheim Ducks vs the team formerly known as the Arizona Coyotes, 7pm PT (Game available on Victory+ , well not for everyone)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Listened to the broadcast as it's not being streamed here, but sounds like Gaucher was really solid. 50% on the dot as well.

I'd personally rather have Gaucher at 4c over Lundestrom (who I think is a fringe NHL'er at best) and see what he's made of to start the season.
I think Gaucher is our 4C by the end of the season, but I’d like him to start in SD and get a lot of minutes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like Strome
B03EEB19-A55F-4452-9891-6061511615D0.jpeg

Does Lundy even have value for trade? Was hoping he’d take a bigger step forward but I think he’s prob done in Anaheim or close to it

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Does Lundy even have value for trade? Was hoping he’d take a bigger step forward but I think he’s prob done in Anaheim or close to it

Hes serviceable for the right team, or a team who thinks he can still progress more. We just happen to have a few guys who seem to be on his level or ready to surpass him

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Good thing Johnston is saving the team from cooley and allowing guys to go after carlsson

Mintyukov is our enforcer Johnston is shit
Johnston wasn’t on the ice during the Bortuzzo incident. Neither was Gudas. Minty did a nice job there though.

It’s important to note that the Ducks had the last change at home, and Cronin never put Johnston out there against O’Brien. O’Brien was running around as per usual, and Cronin declined to enforce the situation.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My thoughts cause I can't help myself

Leo: not as good a game as his first preseason appearance but he made the right plays at the right time to put up a three point night. There's still a bit of inexperience showing with him where the timing is just a bit off. But he's a lot more confident with the puck and that's going to lead to more offense as he continues to refine his game at this level. His faceoff performance was better but still bad. Just not 12% bad.

Cutter: Not as good a performance as his last game either but can't argue with that goal. The chemistry between him and Leo is still unquestionable, just a question of how much better it can get. I think Cutter needs to slow his game down at times. He has a tendency to try to make his passing plays before he's gotten a sense for whether he has a lane or if it's even possible to make the connection. He had a nice pass in the neutral zone to spring his linemates on a 2 on 1 and it's because he stopped, looked, and saw Leo was turning on the jets and he made a nice dish that was well timed. Other times he'd get the puck and just throw it towards a teammate with no real care for aim and timing. This is why I'm not comfortable with him as one of our centers. If the worst he'll be is a complimentary triggerman, then he shouldn't be the pivot. These are things he can work one but for right now he's a bit careless with the puck. But I'll give him a pass cause he still only has one real NHL game under his belt.

Mac: I didn't think he had the best third period. He needs to work on his defense without question. But the added speed and his more decisive style of play should see him get a bump in his production.

Fabbri: I mean everyone saw it. His speed and tenacity was a difference maker. As long as his disregard for his own health doesn't result in an injury this looks like a pretty solid pick up for this team.

Luneau: looked to me like he was focusing on trying to work on his defensive assignment marking. He wasn't perfect in that regard but at least it looked like he had a plan to work on that aspect of his game and he was pretty solid. Wasn't overly involved offensively like that first rookie game but his awareness to jump in the play with Fabbri for that give and go set up was pretty damn good.

Lacombe: I don't know why he was the third star but I'll give him the credit that he seems more responsible in all three zones, he just didn't really do anything remarkable offensively. There's 7 d for 6 spots on this team and I couldn't tell you what this team is going to do. If Lacombe builds on this defensive responsibility it would be tough to leave him out of the lineup.

Killorn: overall I thought he had a better outing tonight than his first game where it looked like he was fighting himself to get and keep control of the puck. A couple good set ups here and there but for a veteran like him, I'd still like to see him be a more positive impact on offensive zone puck possession.

Sennecke: you watch him on a night like tonight and think man, if he was just the right size he could join this team right now. He had some rookie mistakes here and there but overall his vision, passing and involvement in the flow of NHL style hockey was at a much higher level than I was expecting. And, there's something to be said for him laying a guy out with a check even when it looks like he weights 150 pounds soaking wet. I hope we get to see him again in the last game. Very promising future. It really looks like the only thing preventing him from being a top 6 forward is the lack of bulk. His absolute floor is second line winger in the NHL, the way I see it.

Dostal: really strong performance from him. You can tell his abilities have improved over the summer and especially after that WC run. He's tracking the puck really well, he's composed in the net and he made a lot of great saves. I'd say that unless his play collapses somehow, it's his net whether Gibson is healthy or not.

Fowler: he had his weak moments but overall I though he played a solid game at both ends. Fowler is what he is at this point. He has his strong moments and his weak moments. I'm impartial on trading him personally but I lean towards not being comfortable to having more than half our blueline composed of a rookie and three sophomores.

Gudas: was Gudas. No real notes. He didn't look any better or worse than what we're accustomed to.

Mintyukov: definitely some rust and seemed a little apprehensive for most of the game until the last ten minutes and I *loved* seeing him step up to defend Carlsson when he was getting mobbed by Bortuzzo. This team needs more of that camaraderie on the ice. Hopefully he gains confidence little by little cause overall, he didn't have too much of an impact.

Dumoulin: he just looks solid. I don't really have complaints or praise. He's a solid #4 type guy playing to his role.

Colangelo: this is where things get interesting, the battle for fourth line spots. I was pretty critical of Colangelo's play in the rookie tournament but he's definitely stepped it up in preseason and I think he's one of the stronger candidates for one of those spots. Strong on the forecheck, made solid plays with the puck, I can't complain too much about his game tonight. A few times he lost his man in the defensive zone but everyone did at least once.

Nesterenko: I've been rooting for Nester for a while now, I just don't think he's right for a fourth line spot. He had a few solid moments attacking the net including that solo rush from the neutral zone. I just don't think he does enough away from the puck to warrant a fourth line spot. He plays like a top 6er but he's not good enough to bump anyone out of that spot or force Verbeek to make a move to give him one. I think he goes back to the AHL unfortunately but will probably be one of the first guys they call up in case of injury. I like his game better than Pastujov at least.

Gaucher: I liked what I saw from Gaucher as a whole, he had good energy and was properly involved on the forecheck. He'll make this team eventually but I think it comes down to him and Leason for the spot in question and I think at this point Leason is more effective with the puck on his stick. Still one more game for him to prove otherwise.

McGinn: he had a better game but historically he's always been whatever. He's playing to earn a spot but what I've seen him do with a spot when he has it is not inspiring. I'd rather the team just move on from him and cut their losses. I don't see him playing this way on a nightly basis. But maybe that's negativity bias.

Harkins: honestly I didn't notice him much and I'm not gonna pretend I did just to have something to say but if he didn't stick out to me, I don't see him as a top contender to make this team. But maybe my blindness is wrong and you guys have better insight.

Johnston: is Johnston.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Johnston wasn’t on the ice during the Bortuzzo incident. Neither was Gudas. Minty did a nice job there though.

It’s important to note that the Ducks had the last change at home, and Cronin never put Johnston out there against O’Brien. O’Brien was running around as per usual, and Cronin declined to enforce the situation.
Well. If we're to take a sermon from the gospel of Dirk, a good enforcer should be a deterrent and his presence on the roster did nothing to stop the Hockey Club (lol) from gooning it up in the third. He did f*** all to intimidate our opponents the entire game.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Well. If we're to take a sermon from the gospel of Dirk, a good enforcer should be a deterrent and his presence on the roster did nothing to stop the Hockey Club (lol) from gooning it up in the third. He did f*** all to intimidate our opponents the entire game.
Ross is reactionary. He needs more seek and destroy in his game, like Deslauriers, Reaves, Rempe.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ross is reactionary. He needs more seek and destroy in his game, like Deslauriers, Reaves, Rempe.
I'd hesitate to agree that he's reactionary but I agree with the second point. More games than not it looks like Ross is more focused on trying (and failing) to be an effective hockey player rather than a pure enforcer.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Played the most minutes apparently

Primary assist on the only PP goal, which was also the first goal of the game. A +2 rating on top of that. Defensively, he was on point and got the puck out early. We were rarely hemmed in defensively with LaCombe-Gudas. Offensively, he's still a bit timid despite getting into the right place at the right time in the OZone. I was surprised he recorded 3 SOG's, which is tied with Luneau for most from a Ducks' d-man.

Hazy was recounting how the coaches want LaCombe to do more, but the other youth defensemen to do less to become better. LaCombe needs more confidence to be more aggressive offensively.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I thought Lacombe was fine to good - i probably would've given Dostal the 3rd star instead. One thing i've noticed him doing is flubbing the puck at very inopportune times in the offensive zone.

Reactions: DuckRogers10
Oct 18, 2011
I've kinda felt like Gauchers game is more suited for a specific niche at the pro level. Like he's not going to look good in a less structured environment but in a pro lineup what he does well may stand out more. That being said you want more than a 4th line from a 1st round pick

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
Gotta say that was one of the most fun games I've been to in the past few years despite it being preseason. Entertaining from start to finish. What a difference between tonight and last game, but it really does make sense, this line up featured our play drivers, the guys that drag us into the fight night in and night out.

Mac - He didn't find a new gear, he found a turbo boost, a supercharger or something. I think he's gonna have a true breakout year. He's very noticeably faster, bigger, and just an absolute dawg.

Cutter - I love what I saw tonight, but I know he has more to give. I wont be surprised in the slightest if he pots 25+ this season. Especially as the chemistry with Leo continues to blossom.

Gaucher - Ive liked him since we drafted him, I think he's going to be the quintessential and quite possibly a premier NHL 3rd line center.

Nesterenko - Really impressed me tonight. He was wayyyy more effective and quick than I remember and the exact same goes for Colangelo they didn't take a single shift off tonight.

Minty - Turning into my favorite player on the team, kid plays with an edge. He's such an interesting player (in a great way) he does things his way and it works. I still believe and am even more confident he's a/our future #1.

Leo - He's him, and he's been him, but some how he's an even more poised version of him.

Lacombe - So sound and smart, but boy if he just shot the puck a little more, he creates the lanes and always seems to generate the opportunities which really means positionally he's doing all the right things, he just needs to shoot.

Gudas - Was a lil extra tonight at times I thought, but I also get it. Its crucial the tone is set and if he's the leader, everyone should try to follow and emulate degrees of his snarl.

Sennecke - The scouting reports didn't lie, he thinks the game beautifully, does the little things right, and when he puts 25 more pounds on and fills out I think we're going to have a very special top 6 player.

This team is taking shape, finally.
Now we need to see how Cronin does at getting through, we cant afford having a coach that sucks all the fun out of this game, its too young of a group in my opinion. The Lyubushkin interview scares the hell out of me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad