Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Training camp/Preseason 2024 (First Preseason game Sept 24th @7pm PT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Make almost no meaningful additions and think you're going to go from one of the worst teams in the league to in the hunt for the playoffs? Come on. It would take an unbelievable leap from almost every one of our kids for that to even be a possibility.
Especially after he admitting totally whiffing on signing the impact guys he wanted to sign. Getting middling replacements for Rico and Lyubushkin instead of upgrades makes the playoffs pretty hard to imagine without huge seasons from 5/7 of the kids (Z, Mac, Cutter, Leo, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Dostal).

Playing meaningful games after the all star break before falling 15-20 points short of the playoffs seems more plausible and if you squint, that’s kinda what he said, so I’ll take it.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
It's the same thing he said last year. Play games during the spring where, technically, all going incredibly well and every other team failing, a fringe playoff push could be possible. Just so that there's an overall sense of gradual improvement and an upward trajectory.

For some reason, everyone took that to mean "we want to make the playoffs" last year. Don't fall for the same language twice.

Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
idk that it matters what type of replacements we brought in, it’s always going to depend on the young guys taking a significant step up.

The young guys taking step forward goes a long way for our “meaningful games played”

I don’t expect to be battling for playoffs this year, I do expect to be competitive most nights tho(assuming injuries don’t pile up) .

I see gauthier as Henrique replacement, fabbri as bottom 6 help

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I want to see Verbeek's face and hear his comments when one day in April I open up the Ducks Management thread after McTavish has had yet another middling season, Terry has been invisible for most of it, Leo has spent time injured, and Zegras has been traded away at the deadline.

Are we still going to be in the hunt for the playoffs the following year?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Make almost no meaningful additions and think you're going to go from one of the worst teams in the league to in the hunt for the playoffs? Come on. It would take an unbelievable leap from almost every one of our kids for that to even be a possibility.
All it requires is that all the other teams in the Pacific regress.

In unrelated news, the Anaheim Ducks have announced the hiring of Tonya Harding and Jeff Gillooly as “Special Assistants” to Mister Verbeek.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What do people expect him to say? He knows where this team is at and that it would take amazing improvement from the young players to be competitive. He's not very good at the PR aspect of being a GM, but this is kind of how he has to spin it. Fans that expect a bottom 3 team to make the playoffs the next year through magical FA signings are the ones who need to get real.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What do people expect him to say? He knows where this team is at and that it would take amazing improvement from the young players to be competitive. He's not very good at the PR aspect of being a GM, but this is kind of how he has to spin it. Fans that expect a bottom 3 team to make the playoffs the next year through magical FA signings are the ones who need to get real.

He actively attempted to get big fish, didn’t work out…. Continue to let kids develop and hope the team shows some potential this season that maybe helps free agents want to come here.

For me being competitive most of the season and 3 or 4 of the young guys taking significant steps up would be a win… drafting 8-12(pre lottery)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We’re not going to be in the playoffs. Verbeek knows this and it’s part of his plan. Don’t think for a second the rebuild is quite over yet. Although we’re definitely at the tail end of it IMO

Reactions: cheesymc and Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Verbeek is essentially at the point of the rebuild where he said the team was when he took it over. Should be 2-3 more seasons away from legitimately flirting with the playoffs.
I think they’ll flirt with it next year and then make it the following year (2026-2027).

But I’m pretty bullish

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, I’m hedging because of the uncertainty around Vatrano and Gudas, with no obvious replacement for either likely to be available for either by the time their contracts are up.
I think we kind of have to do what it takes to hold onto Vatrano at this point given the alternatives. Outside of Gauthier who is 20 years old and completely unproven, he's the only real "sniper" type player that we have.

He's obviously not a 60 point player and won't repeat last year, but if he's willing to negotiate something reasonable I'd definitely keep him around.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Can I ask what other lines you are seeing?
I was watching team 3, just switched to team 1

IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_7752.jpeg

Reactions: 91Fedorov and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad