Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Training camp/Preseason 2024 (First Preseason game Sept 24th @7pm PT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I like the top 6. It’s too bad Verbeek didn’t acquire a defensive forward for the 3rd line instead of getting Fabbri, who is basically a poor man’s Vatrano. I’m not exactly sure what the point of that was but hopefully it works out

I do like seeing Z with other high skilled players. Putting him with Strome ain’t doing anyone any favors

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm confused about the lineups because Vatrano had 37 goals last season and he'll be on the 3rd line with Strome? Why would a team that needs more goals do that unless they expect huge regression. It seems like that would be setting him up for that regression.

At that point, trading him would be more value than using him on the 3rd line with Strome. His value is still at an all time high due to his contract and last season's success. I personally don't want to trade Vatrano and would rather play him with more appropriate centers, but his value will crater with Strome as his center.
At even strength, in a season where Carlsson/Zegras/McTavish missed significant time and Gauthier only played one game, Frankie was still barely in the top 6 for ES ice time. He made his mark on special teams; he almost tripled his previous career high in PPG and he basically led all forwards in PP ice time per game. I expect it’ll be the same this year, and that’s before the inevitable injuries. The only real danger for him in terms of opportunity is Cutter, as competition for the PP triggerman spot.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I'm confused about the lineups because Vatrano had 37 goals last season and he'll be on the 3rd line with Strome? Why would a team that needs more goals do that unless they expect huge regression. It seems like that would be setting him up for that regression.

At that point, trading him would be more value than using him on the 3rd line with Strome. His value is still at an all time high due to his contract and last season's success. I personally don't want to trade Vatrano and would rather play him with more appropriate centers, but his value will crater with Strome as his center.
The issue is that one of Carlsson, Zegras, McTavish, Killorn, Gauthier, Terry, or Vatrano has to be on the 3rd line. Out of that group, I would pick Frank. And he should get plenty of PP time anyway.

Reactions: Kalv

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

If they run 3 scoring lines with Carlsso , Z and McTavish down the middle I'd expect all 3 lines to get around 17 minutes a night. Leaves 9 minutes for the 4th line.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

Vatrano scored 37 goals on a line with Strome last year.

Reactions: Kalv and LuGBuG

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It is 5v5 and a special teams question. Frank hat 16 goals on special teams last year and being a 20g scorer on a third line is not unusual. I wouldn't even rate those lines as 1,2 and 3 atm. The season will tell how this turns out to be. I think they will get similar ice time 5v5.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Here is the roster from previous year.https://www.sandiegogulls.com/news/detail/anaheim-ducks-announce-2023-training-camp-roster

Minty has actually dropled weight, he'll be in the doghouse lol.
Gaucher has added a lot. He must look like a square

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Here is the roster from previous year.https://www.sandiegogulls.com/news/detail/anaheim-ducks-announce-2023-training-camp-roster

Minty has actually dropled weight, he'll be in the doghouse lol.
Gaucher has added a lot. He must look like a square
A diet of just Borscht and black tea will do that lol. He needs to dive into a diet of Carne asada steak and pinto beans.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The issue is that one of Carlsson, Zegras, McTavish, Killorn, Gauthier, Terry, or Vatrano has to be on the 3rd line. Out of that group, I would pick Frank. And he should get plenty of PP time anyway.
I'd almost want to say I'd be fine with Killorn on the third but if the Ducks are intent on pairing Leo and Cutter (which I'm more than fine with) they should have a veteran on that line and until proven otherwise I don't trust Terry to be that insulating/mentoring vet.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't see an issue with Vatrano on the 3rd line, a lot of his production came from the PP. 33% of it actually. I also think it will determine how well Cutter fits in a Top 6 role, may need time to be fully up there, and to me Vatrano is that stop gap for Cutter.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I think that top line has the chance to be very good defensively, as well. Killorn is the savvy veteran, but both Carlsson and Gauthier (granted, not at the NHL level) have shown good defensive ability. I'm interested in seeing them up against other teams' top lines.

The 2nd line, on the other hand, is liable to be a defensive disaster. Terry is good at breaking up plays in the neutral zone, but Zegras and McTavish pretty much have to be on offense to be useful. Hopefully that line can generate turnovers and score at a really high rate.

Edit: I should say that overall, I like those lines and I'm excited to see them in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad