Speculation: Anaheim Ducks rebuild ideas. Remember Anaheim has 50 million to spend in 2022

Feb 5, 2016
Ducks take Beniers if available at the draft position. Then Anaheim offers Tyson Barrie a 4-5 year max contract. Anaheim then sends Josh Manson out for picks. As I know he may be a hot commodity this off season judging by the proposals when Anaheim is talked about.

50 million dollars open in 2022. Right now this off season? Anaheim will also have 22 million opened freely. And if Getzlaf calls it quits, should be around 30 to spend this off season.

Anaheim has RFA’s to resign. We get that. But RFA’s won’t break the bank because Anaheim can’t even reach the cap floor. Lines I hope? And your thoughts on this.

Comtois “resigned” - Zegras - Silfverberg
Heinen - Beniers - Terry

Top 6 complete for next season. Bottom lines we will figure it out.

Defenseman?

Fowler - Barrie
Mahura - Drysdale

Curious what HF can figure out regarding possibilities of what to spend the rest of the money on.

Edit: Rakell also traded at draft to Rangers. As they want em for a 22 first +
Anaheim should take Beniers if he is available when the Ducks are on the clock, but shouldn’t expect him to sign with Anaheim right away as I would expect Beniers to return to Michigan for his sophomore season as he only got 24 games in college without an opportunity to chase a national championship.

As far as offering Tyson Barrie a 4-5 year contract, I’d steer clear of Barrie due to the fact he is trying to cash in this offseason after dishing 40 assists to McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins but scoring 8 goals.

With Anaheim, Barrie would probably have half of that production especially as Barrie ages and Anaheim doesn’t have any dynamic scorers yet, also Anaheim has their own dynamic young defenseman in Drysdale, Muhura, Fleury, and others in development so I’d give them a look before dishing out term and salary for a player that may become redundant in a season or two.

The Ducks had a rough season as a team and had a couple injury issues on the defense but I’d keep Manson and Lindholm around as they are apart of the Ducks top 4 defenseman and have been reliable in the past when they are on their games respectively.

If Anaheim has 30mil to spend this offseason it should go to a winger particularly a LWer say maybe Jaden Schwartz, Brandon Saad, Mike Hoffman or maybe try for a bigger signing in Taylor Hall or Gabriel Landeskog if those players make it to UFA, also a lot can happen before the 22-23 season so that 50mil you’ve mentioned will get slowly eaten away by maybe a few UFA signings, pending Anaheim UFA’s from the 21-22 season and many RFA’s between now and the 22-23 season, I wouldn’t get to far ahead but I’ll give a lineup for next season (21-22) even though I’m not familiar with some of their younger players like Steel, Jones and Larsson due to being on the opposite coast with late games.

Line 1 LW Schwartz C Zegras RW Terry
Line 2 LW Comtois C Lundestrom RW Rakell
Line 3 LW Volkov C Groulx RW Silfverberg
Line 4 LW Jones C Grant RW Deslauriers

1st Pair LD Fowler RD Drysdale
2nd Pair LD Lindholm RD Manson
3rd Pair LD Mahura RD Shattenkirk

Goalies:
Starter: Gibson
Backup: Stolarz or Dostal

Scratches:
C Steel
LD Fleury
LD Larsson
C Kesler + Hip Surgery (Career Ending) LTIR

C Henrique < Waivers - Bury in minors
LW Milano < Waivers - Bury in minors
LW-RW Heinen ~ RFA* < I would not qualify (UFA)
Did not account for Seattle expansion pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: WidgitRibbit

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Anaheim should take Beniers if he is available when the Ducks are on the clock, but shouldn’t expect him to sign with Anaheim right away as I would expect Beniers to return to Michigan for his sophomore season as he only got 24 games in college without an opportunity to chase a national championship.

As far as offering Tyson Barrie a 4-5 year contract, I’d steer clear of Barrie due to the fact he is trying to cash in this offseason after dishing 40 assists to McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins but scoring 8 goals.

With Anaheim, Barrie would probably have half of that production especially as Barrie ages and Anaheim doesn’t have any dynamic scorers yet, also Anaheim has their own dynamic young defenseman in Drysdale, Muhura, Fleury, and others in development so I’d give them a look before dishing out term and salary for a player that may become redundant in a season or two.

The Ducks had a rough season as a team and had a couple injury issues on the defense but I’d keep Manson and Lindholm around as they are apart of the Ducks top 4 defenseman and have been reliable in the past when they are on their games respectively.

If Anaheim has 30mil to spend this offseason it should go to a winger particularly a LWer say maybe Jaden Schwartz, Brandon Saad, Mike Hoffman or maybe try for a bigger signing in Taylor Hall or Gabriel Landeskog if those players make it to UFA, also a lot can happen before the 22-23 season so that 50mil you’ve mentioned will get slowly eaten away by maybe a few UFA signings, pending Anaheim UFA’s from the 21-22 season and many RFA’s between now and the 22-23 season, I wouldn’t get to far ahead but I’ll give a lineup for next season (21-22) even though I’m not familiar with some of their younger players like Steel, Jones and Larsson due to being on the opposite coast with late games.

Line 1 LW Schwartz C Zegras RW Terry
Line 2 LW Comtois C Lundestrom RW Rakell
Line 3 LW Volkov C Groulx RW Silfverberg
Line 4 LW Jones C Grant RW Deslauriers

1st Pair LD Fowler RD Drysdale
2nd Pair LD Lindholm RD Manson
3rd Pair LD Mahura RD Shattenkirk

Goalies:
Starter: Gibson
Backup: Stolarz or Dostal

Scratches:
C Steel
LD Fleury
LD Larsson
C Kesler + Hip Surgery (Career Ending) LTIR

C Henrique < Waivers - Bury in minors
LW Milano < Waivers - Bury in minors
LW-RW Heinen ~ RFA* < I would not qualify (UFA)
Did not account for Seattle expansion pick.

Well thought out post. Thank you for adding value to the topic of discussion besides criticism

Reactions: RG3hockey

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We have Manson, Drysdale, and Shattenkirk and probably the worst offense in the league. Paying for Barrie would be idiotic no matter how you slice it, there are way bigger holes on this roster.
replace mason with barrie and rookie drysdale would be the best defensively of the new rhd trio. :help:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ducks take Beniers if available at the draft position. Then Anaheim offers Tyson Barrie a 4-5 year max contract. Anaheim then sends Josh Manson out for picks. As I know he may be a hot commodity this off season judging by the proposals when Anaheim is talked about.

50 million dollars open in 2022. Right now this off season? Anaheim will also have 22 million opened freely. And if Getzlaf calls it quits, should be around 30 to spend this off season.

Anaheim has RFA’s to resign. We get that. But RFA’s won’t break the bank because Anaheim can’t even reach the cap floor. Lines I hope? And your thoughts on this.

Comtois “resigned” - Zegras - Silfverberg
Heinen - Beniers - Terry

Top 6 complete for next season. Bottom lines we will figure it out.

Defenseman?

Fowler - Barrie
Mahura - Drysdale

Curious what HF can figure out regarding possibilities of what to spend the rest of the money on.

Edit: Rakell also traded at draft to Rangers. As they want em for a 22 first +

I had to stop after "offer Tyson barrie a max contract" came up.

Edit your edit. There’s no way the Rangers are trading for Rakell.

The fans keep asking for him. Read the previous threads. They want Rakell

Yeah. Rangers have no interest in Rakell.

If anything, the Rangers will be shopping a Wing this offseason, not adding one. (American Buch)

Ducks need to build around Zegras, Drysdale, Comtois, Gibson, and Lindholm. Keep players like Terry, Fowler and Fluery for support, keep a couple of vet forwards for leadership and experience , and add scoring to the Top 6 either via Draft, Trade, or Free Agency.

Would even consider keeping Rakell on a team friendly deal, a line of Comtois - Zegras - Rakell could get Rakell back to his 30 goal days. Plus I liked his game this season, snake bitten as hell, but gave a shit, and said wants to see this re-build through.

As per Rakell going to the Rangers, not happening, if anything will need to shed a winger with Kakko, Lafreniere, and Kravtsov all knocking on the Top 6 door.

1, not impressed w/Barrie, no big $ and esp no long term
ANA can do better

2. While it is true some of our base would like to CONSIDER swapping out one of our Ws for Rakell and his tuffness overall productivity, we have a glut of Fs in general incl Ws and are replacing the likes of Buch with cheaper incl some w/higher upside

so while it is not impossible, any deal would HAVE TO be:
1. at right price for NYR
2. works their long term cap

setting aside discussion of a 1st, let alone a 1st +, I get the vibe ANA could get more elsewhere, or would be better for Ducks to retain,

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They need a real GM. Imagine a good GM working with that amazing scouting/development staff and having the benefit of running a team in California where players are happy to flock to.

The Ducks drafting is one of the best in the league, Murray is wasting them with his mediocrity.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
They need a real GM. Imagine a good GM working with that amazing scouting/development staff and having the benefit of running a team in California where players are happy to flock to.

The Ducks drafting is one of the best in the league, Murray is wasting them with his mediocrity.
this part just isn't really true unfortunately. we just don't ever really get great FA dying to come here.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
this part just isn't really true unfortunately. we just don't ever really get great FA dying to come here.
Is it due to lack of appeal or lack of money? Kesler and Bieksa happily waived to play there and they were apparently pretty picky

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Is it due to lack of appeal or lack of money? Kesler and Bieksa happily waived to play there and they were apparently pretty picky
they were also traded to anaheim, Kesler in particular wanted us or Chicago just to go for a cup run. i know taxes are higher in Cali so I can see that keeping players away. i think a lot of players just prefer playing in markets that are more hockey centric.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Only potential upcoming FA I'd spend big money on is Barkov. Otherwise, stay the course and develop young guys. Hope you get lucky in the next couple of drafts (but Ducks never tend to pick high in good drafts).

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
When you are young and have cap space you use your cap space to get more picks and prospects by taking on bad contracts for short duration. Trying to create a championship through the UFA market doesn’t work.

Reactions: McNurse

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lol @ trying to dump TJ whitout a 1st + Footr coming back

1st AND Foote attached??... thats not gonna happen... as we keep seeing each year, there are always teams that end up helping teams out cap wise for waaaaaaaay less than people think!!

Once again it will drive people on here insane how easily Tampa figures out their cap issues... it happens every year!!!

Reactions: CupInSIX

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Lol @ trying to dump TJ whitout a 1st + Footr coming back

Barre-Boulet has been our top prospect the past couple of years, ahead of Foote. It also seems like one of Anaheims biggest needs is scoring and Barre-Boulet is very good at that.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Barre-Boulet has been our top prospect the past couple of years, ahead of Foote. It also seems like one of Anaheims biggest needs is scoring and Barre-Boulet is very good at that.
Barre Boulet is 23 years old

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
1st AND Foote attached??... thats not gonna happen... as we keep seeing each year, there are always teams that end up helping teams out cap wise for waaaaaaaay less than people think!!

Once again it will drive people on here insane how easily Tampa figures out their cap issues... it happens every year!!!
Keep on dreaming lol

Woth the flat cap, covid, and the fact all 31 GM know that the Kucherov stuff was just cap circumventing, they won't help Brisebois at all. Otherwhise TJ wouldn't be in TB already

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Keep on dreaming lol

Woth the flat cap, covid, and the fact all 31 GM know that the Kucherov stuff was just cap circumventing, they won't help Brisebois at all. Otherwhise TJ wouldn't be in TB already

Hey I'm not a Tampa fan at all but it happens every single offseason lol... rival fans always assume Tampa will have to give up a kings ransom in order to open cap space and then it never ever happens... I guarantee it will happen again and rival fans on here once again will be livid!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad