Anaheim Ducks Media

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Nice. Gotta imagine the boys will bring up some spicy questions but also – gotta think Pat knows it. Good to see he's willing to do stuff like this, I respect that

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Dunno what questions he’ll get but it’d be very easy to say “we’re not trading Zegras” or even “we’re not shopping Zegras” and if he has the chance to, but doesn’t, that’ll be answer enough for me.

Reactions: Kalv

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

This one is out now:

Don't usually listen but I'm swapping over to night shift so it gives me something to do tonight....These are the notes I got out of it, some of it might be off as it can be......difficult to follow Verbeek's train of thought so some of my interpretations may be off.

Just ordered as it came up in the interview, skipped over the non-Anaheim parts (there is some interesting talk about Verbeek's career in there though for people who are so inclined).

• Introduction
    • Thinks players today need to hear from the GM compared to players of yesteryear
    • Wanted to observe more then being hands on when he first became Anaheim GM
    • Was more involved with the team last year, and intends to be more involved with the team again this year
    • Feels comfortable where the depth of organisation is in terms of prospects and young guys starting to take steps
    • Sounds like he wants to share his experiences and advice with young players in the organisation this year
    • Talks about not being able to typically see player's day to day when you're scouting them, and the importance of trying to figure out what kind of player they are away from the rink
    • Wants the scouting staff to keep a close eye on players in this regard, as if things suddenly change presents an opportunity to acquire players through trade or draft
    • "There are some players in our organisation, even though I had an extensive background scouting them, watching them over the last three years, patience has taught me that patience is required". Further talks about players having a lightbulb moment and a couple of players in the organisation that have changed his mind since he started
    • Mentions several times about showing players where they want them to go and using comparables from his playing days
    • Mentions how tough amateur scouting is due to a lot more variable compared to pro scouting
  • Sennecke
    • Has really high skill level
    • Has really high vision
    • Loves his hockey sense
    • Believes he hasn't caught up to his body strength wise in terms of his growth spurt
    • Has an edge to his game and can alter his game (physical, skill, speed) depending on the situation which Verbeek thinks is going to be hugely important for success in the playoffs
  • Carlsson
    • Asked about last year's plan with Carlsson - met with sports science staff about implementing a plan to gain weight and muscle
    • Felt Carlsson was tired at development camp last year after his season finished late before going into combine, draft and development camp
    • Had worries about his testing in training camp and didn't want him to be overused and potentially get injured
    • Focus was on him taking games off to train rather then play day in day out
  • McTavish
    • Excited for McTavish
    • Talks about how difficult it is to play centre now compared to his own playing days, game is faster
    • Had ups and downs over course of season
    • Learnt a lot about playing in his zone this past season and believes the game is starting to slow down for him
    • Loves his shot
    • Wants to see a grinding centreman who can grind and score goals, and believes McTavish has the game for that
    • Underrated passing game
  • Depth
    • Really likes our depth at centre in the organisation
  • Talks about his own experience breaking into the NHL with the Devils, and they drafted high a couple of years after that adding highly rated young players and how it took them a couple of years to develop into a better team and that's where he see's Anaheim right now
  • Expects the young guys to take another step and believes the experience they are getting now will benefit Anaheim in two to three years time
  • Leadership
    • Brought in experienced players like Killorn so the young players can pick up good habits and how to develop in the NHL on a day to day basis
    • Mentions how important Vatrano and Gudas are in terms of leadership
    • Specifically singles out Gudas as being great with the young players
  • Believes the young players need to develop at the NHL level rather then the AHL level and work through having to play against quality top 4 defencemen and top 6 forwards
  • Though just before this he mentions if some of our young players were on an outstanding good team, they'd be in the minors not the NHL level
  • Mentions a few times about pushing hard at the gym and needing to develop more muscle and fill out their frames to be able to play their best games at the NHL level
  • Again talks about the importance of weight training, and that it will help extend their careers at the NHL level
  • Skating and skills can be further developed later
  • Mentions it's a hard thing to get through to the young players (the importance of weight training compared to skill/skating training)
  • Gauthier
    • Asked about if it was hard to keep the trade deal under wraps, knew Flyers were talking to other teams before deal was completed
    • Talks about being able to trade Drysdale as Anaheim have some really good young right hand defencemen coming, which allowed him to add an important piece upfront
    • Refers to Drysdale as a really good young player
    • Spoke to Gauthier regarding his comments in the ESPN pre-game interview, says they had a "really good talk about it" and Gauthier understands now
  • 2.17 to roughly 2.40 talk about Verbeek's career
  • 2.40 random stuff about what Verbeek does off the ice, apparently likes to pheasant hunt
  • 2.45 talks about his thumb injury in the 80's and how it nearly ended his career

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I believe these were the comments he made before the national championship game against Denver
Oh right - he predicted a lot of tears for Denver. I forgot all the pearl clutching that wrought for supposedly tough fans of a sport where “chirping” is a thing.

So PV talked to him about it? He wants Terry and Z to eat knuckles and Gauthier to shut up. Basically he’s a f***ing Kings fan.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Oh right - he predicted a lot of tears for Denver. I forgot all the pearl clutching that wrought for supposedly tough fans of a sport where “chirping” is a thing.

So PV talked to him about it? He wants Terry and Z to eat knuckles and Gauthier to shut up. Basically he’s a f***ing Kings fan.

The org took away Z's dazzling skating and scoring away from him last year. Verbeek would have talked Z to shut up about after Z put all of Canada on notice before the WJC-20 championship game, where Team USA and Z would eventually win the gold medals.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016

TBF we don't really know what Pat said to him about it. It could very easily have been "if you're going to say something like that, you better win" - which I agree 100% with.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
TBF we don't really know what Pat said to him about it. It could very easily have been "if you're going to say something like that, you better win" - which I agree 100% with.
His example was Barry Sanders, who would make a spectacular play and then just hand the ball to the ref. No celebrating. So it wasn’t about backing up trash talk, it was about his conservative (“old school”) point of view about comments like that.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Pat is an interesting guy. Certainly goes about things in his own way (not much of a conformer which is cool in this day and age, even if his hobbies would be different than mine lol).

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If the Gulls were really good, the kids would be there, but since they suck, they’re developing in the NHL. That’s why having Vatrano/Gudas is so important, he says.

I agree with the importance of having veterans around, but is this anything other than admission that his failure to make the Gulls competitive is affecting how we develop the kids? Starts at 2:11:45.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
His example was Barry Sanders, who would make a spectacular play and then just hand the ball to the ref. No celebrating. So it wasn’t about backing up trash talk, it was about his conservative (“old school”) point of view about comments like that.
Interesting, appreciate the context. I still kind of read that as "actions talk louder than words" as opposed to "don't use any words."

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
The bullet about us “having a lot of good young RHD so trading Drysdale was ok” is a bit weird to me.

Same, that didn't sound right at all.

If the Gulls were really good, the kids would be there, but since they suck, they’re developing in the NHL.

Thought he meant that if the Ducks were good, the ducklings would be in San Diego?

He wants Terry and Z to eat knuckles and Gauthier to shut up.

Yeah, a little personality goes a long way when the team's been trash for however long it's been.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Verbeek was a fan of Drysdale the player. I just don't think his hockey sense was where he wanted/needed it to be. On top of that, Pat wants bigger dmen and unless you have the sense to make up for size (Zell), you probably aren't a fit in his eyes. It's tough because Jamie seems like a great guy, but his offensive prospects look a bit bleak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad