Value of: Anaheim 2024 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Andersson and Mangiapane for first overall protected 2024 first
@Zegs2sendhelp Is going to be way more polite to you, but Mangiapane is a middle 6 winger with 1 year of control left. He doesn't fit the Ducks need at all.

Andersson, while being a better fit, has 2 years of control left. The Ducks are not trying to win in the next 2 years so it's basically a gamble that he wants to stay longterm. No chance the Ducks trade a top 5 pick for him.

The type of player the Ducks would be looking for is never getting traded unless they demand a trade.
Big
Physical
RHD
Under the age of 25

So unless Dobson, McAvoy, Seider, etc become available the Ducks are best to make their pick.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That’s fair too, we need a vet top6 forward imo , but those guys arnt going to cost a top 5 pick
We essentially need a "#6" forward. Rakell just went for a 2nd rounder and a decent (but not top) prospect. Ducks will hopefully be able to afford to do those type of moves every couple of years to fill the empty spot (assuming one of the prospects doesn't become a complimentary middle 6 forward). A Rakell level forward is probably more than what the Ducks need to complete that top 6 (assuming the rest of the guys hit a reasonable level).

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
anaheim trading their 2024 1st is a bad idea. id imagine the value is quite high
Why exactly?

Never understand why teams who are supposed to be good or decent already (Ottawa, Buffalo, Ducks) are like yeah, let's draft another 18 year old who can help us in 5 years.

Sometimes it makes a lot of sense to trade a high 1st for a prime aged stud.

Obviously if it's #1 you don't trade it but if it's 2-5 what about, maybe Keller? something like that.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Verbeek is now in record stating next season its time to start winning. Anaheim could use top 6 forward and top 4 dman just curious what they could get with this pick presuming it's 1 to 3
jordan kyrou? i don't think blues want to deal him, but we are likely gonna pick too late to draft franchise d we desperately need. if we could get one of top 3 d in this draft, i think we would do it.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
jordan kyrou? i don't think blues want to deal him, but we are likely gonna pick too late to draft franchise d we desperately need. if we could get one of top 3 d in this draft, i think we would do it.
Kyrou is solid, but prob too similar in style to what we already have, i think we prob just keep the pick and take whoever is left out of Dickinson/Levshunov and Yakemchuk.

Like unless that top 5 pick (celebrini protected), gets the conversation started for a guy like brady tkachuk, idk that id really be inclined to move it... unless there was a package where we stay in top 15, and still find pieces to improve around it.

But idk what teams could make that package, and the package would be good enough to move it.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Why exactly?

Never understand why teams who are supposed to be good or decent already (Ottawa, Buffalo, Ducks) are like yeah, let's draft another 18 year old who can help us in 5 years.

Obviously if it's #1 you don't trade it but if it's 2-5 what about, maybe Keller? something like that.
rushing a rebuild is never a good idea. let the young guys earn it on their own and when they can finally compete for the playoffs thats when you add. it just screams impatience to trade a top 5 pick now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why exactly?

I don’t think the ducks are supposed to be good yet.

Reactions: McDonald19

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Nope exactly, this was always going to be another growth/building year. They were expected to improve, and have done so in comparison to last year's historically awful defensive showing.

Goal differential last year of -129, and with sixteen games remaining this season, they are at -69 (and that's despite facing more man games lost by top young guns than last season).

They aren't good or even decent yet, but they are better this year. Should hopefully continue that trend and work their way up to being decent or more consistently competitive next year. There are games or at least periods this year where they look like they can compete with anyone, just isn't happening often enough right now.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
No fair but I think Anaheims young core is in place.

Carlsson, MacTavish, Zegras, Gauthier, Zellweger, Mintyukov is great young talent.

Rather than add an 18 year old to that who won't be hitting his prime for 5-6 years and peak for maybe 10, why not add a very promising 24/25 year old who will be 27-30 during Anaheims window in 2-5 years.

You can't have an entire core of 21 year olds all the same age. When the Ducks are good in a few years you want some guys right at their peak.

Maybe he's not available but I'm thinking like a Clayton Keller type added to this young Ducks core.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No fair but I think Anaheims young core is in place.

Carlsson, MacTavish, Zegras, Gauthier, Zellweger, Mintyukov is great young talent.

Rather than add an 18 year old to that who won't be hitting his prime for 5-6 years and peak for maybe 10, why not add a very promising 24/25 year old who will be 27-30 during Anaheims window in 2-5 years.

You can't have an entire core of 21 year olds all the same age. When the Ducks are good in a few years you want some guys right at their peak.

Maybe he's not available but I'm thinking like a Clayton Keller type added to this young Ducks core.
I agree but I think the players we need to add we can get with cap space/trading assets…. Don’t necessarily think we need to move the top 5 pick for him.

A lot of our issues will be fine as the young guys you listed get older

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
rushing a rebuild is never a good idea. let the young guys earn it on their own and when they can finally compete for the playoffs thats when you add. it just screams impatience to trade a top 5 pick now.
It's not so much rushing a rebuild as there are specific needs. If the player(s) the Ducks want are gone, then it makes sense to trade for a young player they need. The system is deep in centers (couple will play wing), LHD, and set in goal. There is a specific need at RHD and if they feel they can't draft a good one, it would make sense to deal for one if it's a good one. It only makes sense if there's a potential top pair RHD available because a team feels there is a different position player available that's a bigger need and will be comparable/ better player (like Lindstrom if they need a C).

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's not so much rushing a rebuild as there are specific needs. If the player(s) the Ducks want are gone, then it makes sense to trade for a young player they need. The system is deep in centers (couple will play wing), LHD, and set in goal. There is a specific need at RHD and if they feel they can't draft a good one, it would make sense to deal for one if it's a good one. It only makes sense if there's a potential top pair RHD available because a team feels there is a different position player available that's a bigger need and will be comparable/ better player (like Lindstrom if they need a C).
That all sounds good in theory but very difficult in practice. I honestly can't really even think of a target player that the Ducks could realistically trade their 1st for.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Does Anaheim are looking for a LHD or a RHD?

Montréal might be able to help you with that, for the right price of course

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That all sounds good in theory but very difficult in practice. I honestly can't really even think of a target player that the Ducks could realistically trade their 1st for.
Agreed. You would have needed the Jets to have blown it up and then target a Connor/Morrisey which would make sense for a jets team rebuilding and anaheim done collecting assets and looking to turn it around.

But, I don't think there is a team that is going into a rebuild that has that age range player Ana would want.

Like no team deals a 25 year old for an 18 year prospect if they are competing for the PO.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed, best bet is drafting a top pair D. But IF we were trading the first rounder, that's what it would be for.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
RHD and unless it’s Reinbacher…. Mailloux is not even worth talking about.
Well, they can talk about Mailloux ... but the Ducks first round pick won't be part of that conversation...

'If' the Ducks were to trade away their first (post lottery drawing) it would probably only be for a much better than average top 4 RHD of an age to grow with their core group. And offhand I can't think of anyone that another team would be willing to give up given those conditions. Now if another team wanted to roll the dice and trade someone really good 'pre' lottery drawing (1OA protected), that might be worth more. Time will tell I suppose.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@Zegs2sendhelp Is going to be way more polite to you, but Mangiapane is a middle 6 winger with 1 year of control left. He doesn't fit the Ducks need at all.

Andersson, while being a better fit, has 2 years of control left. The Ducks are not trying to win in the next 2 years so it's basically a gamble that he wants to stay longterm. No chance the Ducks trade a top 5 pick for him.

The type of player the Ducks would be looking for is never getting traded unless they demand a trade.
Big
Physical
RHD
Under the age of 25

So unless Dobson, McAvoy, Seider, etc become available the Ducks are best to make their pick.
Sounds like Jamie Drysdale.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
It still can serves as a base

Mailloux + ? for 1st + ?, "?" being what is needed to make it fair
Sure, Montreal's 1st.

Seriously though, Mailloux is a great prospect that I would love to have on the Ducks. I would only put him behind Luneau in terms of RHD pipeline for the Ducks. But you dont trade a top 5 pick for a non bluechip prospect, and he isn't that. No matter how many sweeteners you add to it, if he is the best piece coming back then its a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad