Proposal: ANA / MTL at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I have to admit, this is turning into a Carter Hart type situation, in the sense that when Flyers fans were proposing deals for Hart, they were looking at a "young Carey Price" type value, yet, everyone knows you don't trade a young Carey Price, even if you have good goaltending depth.

Right now, Anaheim fans are fixing value as if Zegras is certain to become the all-around 80 point forward they hope he becomes, but the fact is if there was consensus on him reaching that level consistently, then he just wouldn't get traded. And maybe he won't, if Anaheim management values him that highly. But if he gets moved, it'll be for "1-dimension 80 point" forward or "tolerable defensively 60 point" forward type of value.
This and they wouldn't have played hard ball in the contract négociation.

Reactions: CDN24

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I feel like Zegras is PK Subban 2.0 in terms of personality and it runs people the wrong way. Or you freaking love the guy!

Of course his game is not perfect either and wether or not he can take the critic from management and coaching staff is up for speculation. From an outsider perspective it does look like he thinks very highly of himself and might not be the best student, but at the same time is a race horse with insane talent.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The point is you're nitpicking to make yourself look like the teacher making lessons.

No, you're the one who's made the big claim here, that a player with literally zero NHL games is a future playoff stud. He may be, but we don't know that. You certainly don't.

If it's good for your ego, go ahead and police the HF board.

If it hurts your ego to be questioned for making a currently unprovable claim, either don't make big claims like you have some sort of magic crystal ball, or get a thicker skin.

But afaic, saying that a young defenseman, drafted 5th overall because he was playing impressive hockey against men in the 4-5th best league in the world at 17, has a profile that makes teams win in the playoff, isn't a bold statement.

Almost all the highly drafted guys have some feathers in their caps, that's why they're highly drafted. They either absolutely dominated a lower level, or did pretty well at a higher level. Yet many (most) won't live up to the hype in the NHL.

Reinbacher one of the best D prospects in the league. There's a long way to go between that and "a guy you win with in the NHL playoffs.". It'd be one thing if he were a generational D prospect, but he's not. In my lifetime there's only been two of those.

Big north/south forwards are in the same category of players, actually.

And a lot of those don't pan out either, even highly drafted ones.

I mean, if YOU don't make that kind of statement, bravo to you!!

Me, I do it and won't apologize for it...

No one's asking you to apologize for it, but don't be all bluster and then act offended when you're questioned about making a projection on a player who hadn't hit the NHL yet. If you're that good, go become the greatest GM in the league.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
I have to admit, this is turning into a Carter Hart type situation, in the sense that when Flyers fans were proposing deals for Hart, they were looking at a "young Carey Price" type value, yet, everyone knows you don't trade a young Carey Price, even if you have good goaltending depth.

Right now, Anaheim fans are fixing value as if Zegras is certain to become the all-around 80 point forward they hope he becomes, but the fact is if there was consensus on him reaching that level consistently, then he just wouldn't get traded. And maybe he won't, if Anaheim management values him that highly. But if he gets moved, it'll be for "1-dimension 80 point" forward or "tolerable defensively 60 point" forward type of value.
I agree. Ducks fans should value him like a “1-dimensional” forward. Someone like Cole Caufield, eh?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Considering Chicago draft Demidov at number 2:

Anaheim trade Zegras to Montreal for Reinbacher and a 2nd 2025.
Anaheim then draft Lindstrom
Montreal draft Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium at 5.

Anaheim gets a big forward that fits their identity and a solid RD prospect.
They go from Zegras, Levshunov to Reinbacher, Lindstrom

Montreal gets the help they need in front and still have a solid D prospect.
They go from Reinbacher, Lindstrom (or a forward other than Demidov) to Zegras, antoher top D prospect.

Of course that implied that MTL want Zegras

What do you think?
Chicago is not drafting Demidov so this entire proposal doesn't make sense. They are drafting levshunov.

I'd take Levshunov over Reinbacher for sure
Easily it's not close either.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
How about Fowler for Reinbacher + MTL's 1st round pick?
I think thats fair. Motoroil gets a proven veteran defender while Ducks takes a gamble on something that might become Griffin Reinhart 2.0.

Habs are stupid if they dont accept this deal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Why would PV a guy that is going to have to sign a lot of rfas the next 3 years, let a RFA walk all over him?

The zegras/drysdale RFA situation was pretty important for PV to kinda dictate how things are going to work in Anaheim
It might not be so much about Verbeek , might be more about Zegras / Drysdale.

Also, it's one thing not being the Leafs , but when your players are not presenting to camp, I believe there's an issue somewhere on one of the sides

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. Ducks fans should value him like a “1-dimensional” forward. Someone like Cole Caufield, eh?

Their values would be similar yes. But I feel several Ducks fans are completely ignoring the latest trend with Zegras. Yes, we know he can rebound but lets not take that to the bank. This past season was a rough one for Zegras. Started late due to contract issues, injury, and all the media/fan noise on trade rumors. Caufield was expected to score 30+ this year but didn't. I would say this was a disappointing 28 goals and 65 pts season from him.

Said it before and will say it again (Sorry Ducks fans), I was really looking forward to seeing Zegras with a fresh mind playing with talent for the US at the WC's. He really disappointed me and I was surprised to see this. Prior to this, I was talking 5th OA and Guhle but after this, they are completely off the table. I don't want to over analyze the WC's and 8 games but man, he was one of the worse forwards for the US bud. Even Dubois showed up with team Canada after his rough season with the Kings.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It might not be so much about Verbeek , might be more about Zegras / Drysdale.d

Also, it's one thing not being the Leafs , but when your players are not presenting to camp, I believe there's an issue somewhere on one of the sides
And you are certainly entitled to that opinion, and you could be right... or you could be 100% wrong.

But the reality of the situation is we really dont know.

I do think it was an important contract negotiation for PV, in the sense that he was setting the table for future RFAs in Anaheim, but i also could very easily see Zegras wanting a bridge, because he is a bit cocky and willing to bet on himself hitting his potential(which would equal a lot more money in this case)

I mean Rakell/Lindholm missed camp/part of the season during negotiations... were not exactly a canadian franchise or a big money franchise.... so getting good deals on contracts is pretty important to the franchise.

Their values would be similar yes. But I feel several Ducks fans are completely ignoring the latest trend with Zegras. Yes, we know he can rebound but lets not take that to the bank. This past season was a rough one for Zegras. Started late due to contract issues, injury, and all the media/fan noise on trade rumors. Caufield was expected to score 30+ this year but didn't. I would say this was a disappointing 28 goals and 65 pts season from him.

Said it before and will say it again (Sorry Ducks fans), I was really looking forward to seeing Zegras with a fresh mind playing with talent for the US at the WC's. He really disappointed me and I was surprised to see this. Prior to this, I was talking 5th OA and Guhle but after this, they are completely off the table. I don't want to over analyze the WC's and 8 games but man, he was one of the worse forwards for the US bud. Even Dubois showed up with team Canada after his rough season with the Kings.
I think its pretty obvious he threw at the world cup to kill trade chatter

:sarcasm:

He just wants to stay in anaheim and rock the new jerseys

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
True, logic checks out
Caufield is a 60 point, 1 dimensional, pp merchant getting paid 7.85 mil for 7 seasons
What’s the cap dump price of caufield to Anaheim…. Maybe we should bring caufield to Anaheim instead of Montreal bringing zegras there.

Newhook 35 point player
Kirby dach 32 point player

Despite having 77 points last year at 24, Suzuki is only a 64 point player also.

0 flaws in this logic
On a (totally) unrelated note, I miss Kirby Dach so much. He was lights out during the pre-season and dominent in his 5ish period to start the year.

I can’t wait to see him back in action next year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
On an (totally) unrelated note, I miss Kirby Dach so much. He was lights out during the pre-season and dominent in his 5ish period to start the year.

I can’t wait to see him back in action next year.
Ya i got nothing bad to say about Kirby.... other than his development has been basically crushed by injuries. One of those young guys you hope can put together a solid healthy season and see what he can really become.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ya i got nothing bad to say about Kirby.... other than his development has been basically crushed by injuries. One of those young guys you hope can put together a solid healthy season and see what he can really become.
If he stay healthy next year and his knee surgery didn’t do too much damage I think he can put up a 65-70 points season. A healthy Dach could be a game changer for Montreal and allow them to at least be in contention for a playoff spot

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
You don't trade a recently drafted top 5 overall RHD for an unidimensional offensive hot dog.
Correct. You do however trade a recently drafted top 5 overall RHD for a dynamic, exciting, ever-improving goal-scorer who led his team in goals the last time he played without a broken ankle, and that's what Zegras is. He's also on a very manageable contract.

Speaking of unidimensional, how's that last-place Habs offense looking these days? The one that was -53 in goal differential this season. I'm sure Reinbacher will fix that, too, right?

People don't like Zegras because he got too well-known too soon and that dimwit Tortorella says he's bad for the game because he makes hockey look easy sometimes. So sorry that offends your delicate sensitivities. Have another fun season in the cellar.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Correct. You do however trade a recently drafted top 5 overall RHD for a dynamic, exciting, ever-improving goal-scorer who led his team in goals the last time he played without a broken ankle, and that's what Zegras is. He's also on a very manageable contract.

Speaking of unidimensional, how's that last-place Habs offense looking these days? The one that was -53 in goal differential this season. I'm sure Reinbacher will fix that, too, right?

People don't like Zegras because he got too well-known too soon and that dimwit Tortorella says he's bad for the game because he makes hockey look easy sometimes. So sorry that offends your delicate sensitivities. Have another fun season in the cellar.
How is adding someone who's -46 in the past 3 season help Habs dif?

Reactions: HabsAddict

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
And you are certainly entitled to that opinion, and you could be right... or you could be 100% wrong.

But the reality of the situation is we really dont know.

I do think it was an important contract negotiation for PV, in the sense that he was setting the table for future RFAs in Anaheim, but i also could very easily see Zegras wanting a bridge, because he is a bit cocky and willing to bet on himself hitting his potential(which would equal a lot more money in this case)

I mean Rakell/Lindholm missed camp/part of the season during negotiations... were not exactly a canadian franchise or a big money franchise.... so getting good deals on contracts is pretty important to the franchise.

I think its pretty obvious he threw at the world cup to kill trade chatter

:sarcasm:

He just wants to stay in anaheim and rock the new jerseys
I agree we don't know , however I don't have that opinion out of nowhere. There's smoke that leads me to believe there have been tensions between both camps.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree we don't know , however I don't have that opinion out of nowhere. There's smoke that leads me to believe there have been tensions between both camps.
Sure... but is that smoke from Zegras or PV... or just some writers that are trying to generate something to talk about?

Or the same insiders that said "gibson wont play another game in anaheim" 3+ years ago?

Ducks dont really have much in terms of leaks, we barely have reporters that cover the team.... i mean no one knew about the drysdale gauthier move until literally it happened.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Zegras has shown that he's at least a 2nd line, 60+ point C. His offense went down (mostly because of 12 games of bad puck luck) but his defense improved. If he can put both together and not really even improve his offense (which should happen once talent around him is a bit better), that's a solid/good 2C. He showed at the end of the season that he can do that.

Ducks aren't going to deal him away for anything less than something that potentially improves the team, late 1st round picks and future 3rd pair D (on the Ducks) don't move the needle for him. It will either be 1 for 1 or the Ducks adding for a young upgrade, not his 5+ years older. Ducks already have Minty, Zell, and LaCombe on the left and Luneau looking like he's an NHL level D (in limited time) with potentially another D picked at 3 this year. If the player being offered isn't virtually guaranteed to jump at least 2 of those guys and play a style that will compliment his partner, what's the point in moving Zegras? A probably less than 20% chance that they get a guy that's anything more than a 3rd/4th line forward or 3rd pair D in 3 years, if they even make the NHL?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Sure... but is that smoke from Zegras or PV... or just some writers that are trying to generate something to talk about?

Or the same insiders that said "gibson wont play another game in anaheim" 3+ years ago?

Ducks dont really have much in terms of leaks, we barely have reporters that cover the team.... i mean no one knew about the drysdale gauthier move until literally it happened.
It's not a news article, Zegras missed the beginning of training camp last season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Neither do the Habs now. Any rumors about the Habs is the media making something up unless Hughes has planted them,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad