Proposal: ANA - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
To Oilers
John Gibson

To Ducks
2022 1st Rd Pick
Holloway
Koskinen
Skinner
Turris

Proposal from a Ducks fan. Oilers move out 6.15 in cap and bring in 6.4. Oilers get a goalie. Ducks get offensive forward, goalie and 1st. In exchange Ducks take two cap dumps both UFAs at the end of the year to make the cap work.

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
Honestly for a goalie the only extra might be a 2nd round pick. And Gibson has not been helping his stock lately. Last 8 starts since the all-star game, 2-6 .808 SV% 6.31 GAA. If you can get Holloway and 1st, take it while you can get anything.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
1st and Holloway is the starting point for Gibson alone, gotta be more than Skinner coming back if we're taking 2 cap dumps

Turris and Koskinen are both UFA at the end of this season. Hardly cap dumps as they're off the books in 2 months.

I think this is a pretty fair offer overall. Would offer another prospect or supplementary 2nd perhaps to get it done as well.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Would be great if Ottawa was able to take on both those expiring contracts from Edmonton for a second round pick in next years draft.

Ottawa:
2023 2nd round EDM pick
Koskinen
Turris

Edmonton:
Gibson

Anaheim:
2022 1st round EDM pick
Holloway
Skinner

Pretty huge package coming from Edmonton though.

1st + 2nd + Holloway + Skinner for Gibson and getting rid of two expiring UFAs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would be great if Ottawa was able to take on both those expiring contracts from Edmonton for a second round pick in next years draft.

Ottawa:
2023 2nd round EDM pick
Koskinen
Turris

Edmonton:
Gibson

Anaheim:
2022 1st round EDM pick
Holloway
Skinner

Pretty huge package coming from Edmonton though.

1st + 2nd + Holloway + Skinner for Gibson and getting rid of two expiring UFAs.

yeah, no, Edmonton’s not going to give up a 2nd just to dump 20 games of Turris. Koskinen’s not a dump, he’s playing quite well. A damned sight better than Gibson is lately. I wouldn’t give up that much for him.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
yeah, no, Edmonton’s not going to give up a 2nd just to dump 20 games of Turris. Koskinen’s not a dump, he’s playing quite well. A damned sight better than Gibson is lately. I wouldn’t give up that much for him.

Holloway would be an absolute non-starter for me if I’m Edmonton.

Maybe replace Turris with Kassian then? I’m sure Kassian is the type of player our management wouldn’t mind taking for an asset.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
There is a weird irrationality surrounding "cap dumps". If the Ducks considered a 1st, Holloway, and Skinner an attractive return for Gibson, then taking on the two expiring contracts in Koskinen and Turris is just the cost of doing business. It's what both teams need to do in order to get the assets they want.

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
Holloway would be an absolute non-starter for me if I’m Edmonton.

Maybe replace Turris with Kassian then? I’m sure Kassian is the type of player our management wouldn’t mind taking for an asset.

No to Kassian. He still has 2 years on the co tract. Ducks only want salary cap dumps back who are UFA.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
1st and Holloway is the starting point for Gibson alone, gotta be more than Skinner coming back if we're taking 2 cap dumps

Koskinen and Turris are both UFA and off the books in 24 games. I don't see a big payday going to any team who takes these contracts back in trade. It is the price of doing business in the cap era of the NHL.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Not a bad trade for both team I think

It helps Ducks quick rebuild and the Oilers finally solve their most pressing issue in the best way possible. Gibson is IMO a top 10 goalie in the league. They can now go on to get one or two good d-men

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
There is a weird irrationality surrounding "cap dumps". If the Ducks considered a 1st, Holloway, and Skinner an attractive return for Gibson, then taking on the two expiring contracts in Koskinen and Turris is just the cost of doing business. It's what both teams need to do in order to get the assets they want.

100% agree on this. I wish more people would get it. There is no way to do any deal, especially a "futures" for "present" deal, without equalizing cap in the modern NHL.

Edmonton's offer includes only "no term" cap, which is the best kind. For Anaheim's part, they want prospects and picks, which carry no cap presently, so the only deals they can make will see them taking back ~equivalent cap to Gibson. Any other team making an offer for Gibson would have to include expiring cap, or they'd have to give MORE assets to offset the non-expiring cap.

Back to the OP. I consider Bourgault and Holloway as equal prospects, but Holloway is older and therefore closer to ready... we need that. You may end up with the better player in Bourgault anyway... so I would counter:

1st, Bourgault, Skinner, Koskinen and Turris.

That's a solid return. Essentially two recent firsts and a B+ prospect goalie. I don't see anyone beating it. Nobody needs a goalie as bad as we do and that's a pretty high premium given historical values.... I can't think of a goalie traded for more recently.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think that’s pretty fair from both perspectives, cap dumps are fine they are ufas…. We could always retain on them and potentially get later picks for them or something

I’d swap out bourgaults for Holloway if that made oiler more comfortable.
If Holloway stayed, I’d throw in sam steel or similar valued player

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I agree since they are both expiring contracts, but when there is term that completely changes.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Seems like a fair enough trade. I don't think it happens because they are both in the same division, and interdivision trades are so rare. Nobody wants the other side to have a player terrorize them for a decade.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
Wow, you mean I put together a trade proposal that everyone deems fair to both sides.

The 2022 1st going back to the Ducks is an unprotected 1st as well, and a conditional pick can also be added depending on where that 1st ends up being. If Oilers go on to win a Cup with Gibson this year, the 32 overall pick is not that enticing.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wow, you mean I put together a trade proposal that everyone deems fair to both sides.

The 2022 1st going back to the Ducks is an unprotected 1st as well, and a conditional pick can also be added depending on where that 1st ends up being. If Oilers go on to win a Cup with Gibson this year, the 32 overall pick is not that enticing.

Very rarely do 1sts go unprotected. If one gets dealt this trade deadline by anyone it'll have some protection attached. That is just the reality of the NHL.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I agree since they are both expiring contracts, but when there is term that completely changes.
I agree with that as well (which is why I qualified my post with "on expiring contracts). Even when there is some term, people tend to overblow the value of a real or perceived cap dump without applying any context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad