Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We have a goalie who is ready to take the 1A role and it's time to give Gibby a fresh start IMO. I still do believe he can be a great goalie but I think he needs a clean slate elsewhere
What many on HF don't seem to understand is players as talented as Gibson don't just lose their ability. Mentally he needs a reset. Going to a good team would likely do him wonders. Not sure Detroit is that fit but I'm confident a move to the right situation could rejuvenate his career.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
See, this is why posters should avoid talking about other teams that they know nothing about.

Seravalli made the famous quote last summer that "Gibson has played his last game as a Duck". I guess he was wrong wasn't he? Not to mention that Gibson's agent immediately came out afterwards and stated that his client had NOT asked or demanded to be traded.

How much more foolish to you want to appear?
How much time do ya have?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A “B” asset is a non-starter. Yzerman is either negotiating in good faith or he isn’t.
5 years of down play dictate no 1st or an A level prospect. That isn't an Yzerman thing, also once you start transitioning the net it does impact value. While the Ducks don't have to move Gibson, they do want to turn the net over to Dostal. I guess we will see where it lands, but the Ducks were one of the teams said to be interested in Berggren around the deadline as well. The Ducks have the size to offset carrying Berggren that Detroit really does not currently with Raymond and DeBrincat being smaller forwards.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
5 years of down play dictate no 1st or an A level prospect. That isn't an Yzerman thing, also once you start transitioning the net it does impact value. While the Ducks don't have to move Gibson, they do want to turn the net over to Dostal. I guess we will see where it lands, but the Ducks were one of the teams said to be interested in Berggren around the deadline as well. The Ducks have the size to offset carrying Berggren that Detroit really does not currently with Raymond and DeBrincat being smaller forwards.
I'm not sure there's a spot for Berggren in the lineup. Currently, the LW are Gauthier, Killorn, Vatrano. Verbeek has said he wants another top 6 RW and the Ducks have Terry and Strome there with Colangelo possibly ready by the end of the season. Then it's Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras down the middle. Ducks really need a RH shot RW, only Terry and Strome are righty in the top 9.

After that, Ducks need to revamp their 4th line. This night be a piece Verbeek targets. A high end 4th liner that can anchor that line, even if they are overpaid for the role (assuming the contract doesn't go more than 2-3 years).

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I'm not sure there's a spot for Berggren in the lineup. Currently, the LW are Gauthier, Killorn, Vatrano. Verbeek has said he wants another top 6 RW and the Ducks have Terry and Strome there with Colangelo possibly ready by the end of the season. Then it's Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras down the middle. Ducks really need a RH shot RW, only Terry and Strome are righty in the top 9.

After that, Ducks need to revamp their 4th line. This night be a piece Verbeek targets. A high end 4th liner that can anchor that line, even if they are overpaid for the role (assuming the contract doesn't go more than 2-3 years).
Copp 5.625 x3

Reactions: LuGBuG

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know exactly what specific asset that Verbeek wants in return for Gibson....none of us do.

But I do know that Yzerman is after a goaltender and Gibson is probably the only realistic option for a 1A goalie available (assuming Saros stays in Nashville). And that means that Verbeek knows he has a fairly valuable asset that he doesn't need to give away.

The market for goalies has been fairly well set at a 1st round pick via both Markstrom and Ullmark. And yes, in lieu of retention that would require the Ducks to take back salary in the form of Husso and probably one of either Copp or Holl. But the key asset coming back to the Ducks has to be a 1st or the equivalent thereof...and it has to be an asset that Verbeek wants because - in all fairness - he is giving up an asset in Gibson that Yzerman wants.

Reactions: Ducks and Ducks DVM

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know exactly what specific asset that Verbeek wants in return for Gibson....none of us do.

But I do know that Yzerman is after a goaltender and Gibson is probably the only realistic option for a 1A goalie available (assuming Saros stays in Nashville). And that means that Verbeek knows he has a fairly valuable asset that he doesn't need to give away.

The market for goalies has been fairly well set at a 1st round pick via both Markstrom and Ullmark. And yes, in lieu of retention that would require the Ducks to take back salary in the form of Husso and probably one of either Copp or Holl. But the key asset coming back to the Ducks has to be a 1st or the equivalent thereof...and it has to be an asset that Verbeek wants because - in all fairness - he is giving up an asset in Gibson that Yzerman wants.
Over the last 5 seasons Gibson's accomplishments align far closer with Korpisalo's than with either of Ullmark or Markstrom's. Or does the return for Joonas not factor into "the market for goalies has been fairly well set"?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Over the last 5 seasons Gibson's accomplishments align far closer with Korpisalo's than with either of Ullmark or Markstrom's. Or does the return for Joonas not factor into "the market for goalies has been fairly well set"?
Is Yzerman looking for a legit 1A to help get Detroit into the playoffs next year? [Yes]

Is Yzerman currently negotiating with Verbeek to potentially acquire Gibson for that role? [Yes]

Is Yzerman planning to use Gibson as a backup to either Husso or Lyon? [No]

Should Yzerman be acquiring a goalie who is not projected to be a 1A? [No]

In light of the above, how else should both Yzerman and Verbeek be viewing Gibson's value??

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Is Yzerman looking for a legit 1A to help get Detroit into the playoffs next year? [Yes]

Is Yzerman currently negotiating with Verbeek to potentially acquire Gibson for that role? [Yes]

Is Yzerman planning to use Gibson as a backup to either Husso or Lyon? [No]

Should Yzerman be acquiring a goalie who is not projected to be a 1A? [No]

In light of the above, how else should both Yzerman and Verbeek be viewing Gibson's value??
Based on his play. You pay for what something is, not for what you would hope for it to be.

Trading a 1st and a prospect isn't going to magically revive Gibson's career, so you give up maybe a 2nd, cap dump, and an AHLer for a heavily retained Gibson. Because that's what his play is worth.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Based on his play. You pay for what something is, not for what you would hope for it to be.

Trading a 1st and a prospect isn't going to magically revive Gibson's career, so you give up maybe a 2nd, cap dump, and an AHLer for a heavily retained Gibson. Because that's what his play is worth.
Yzerman would be the worst GM in hockey if he is acquiring Gibson as his starting 1A knowing that he is garbage. And I don't think he is the worst GM in hockey. Ergo, he knows what Gibson is really worth...and so does Verbeek.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman would be the worst GM in hockey if he is acquiring Gibson as his starting 1A knowing that he is garbage. And I don't think he is the worst GM in hockey. Ergo, he knows what Gibson is really worth...and so does Verbeek.
You can just stop right there at the bolded.

Any goalie he acquires is one of two things. A bonafide starter with no silly letters attached to it or someone that is steady and can stay healthy because Husso hasn't shown the ability to do so and playing Lyon 28 out of 32 or whatever it was games isn't doing anyone any good. Gibson is not the former, and he might be the latter, but there is no indicator that anyone is pursuing Gibson as their #1.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You can just stop right there at the bolded.

Any goalie he acquires is one of two things. A bonafide starter with no silly letters attached to it or someone that is steady and can stay healthy because Husso hasn't shown the ability to do so and playing Lyon 28 out of 32 or whatever it was games isn't doing anyone any good. Gibson is not the former, and he might be the latter, but there is no indicator that anyone is pursuing Gibson as their #1.
Well now I’m confused because Yzerman has clearly stated that upgrading their goaltending is one of - if not his top - priorities this summer. And you’re saying he is willing to settle for someone who is “steady” and can stay healthy? My goodness, he could certainly be looking elsewhere for that and get it much cheaper. Why bother with Gibson at all if that’s all he’s willing to settle for?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well now I’m confused because Yzerman has clearly stated that upgrading their goaltending is one of - if not his top - priorities this summer. And you’re saying he is willing to settle for someone who is “steady” and can stay healthy? My goodness, he could certainly be looking elsewhere for that and get it much cheaper. Why bother with Gibson at all if that’s all he’s willing to settle for?
Steady and healthy would improve the goaltending. Behind Lyon there was Husso who was on IR I think 3 separate times and got hurt warming up for a conditioning stint and James f'n Reimer.

Why bother with Gibson? Because he's at the level right now where tossing back Husso's deal, some kid, and a 2nd/3rd ought to net him a guy that can stay healthy and probably would get retained down to $4M-ish. I'd greatly prefer to sign a guy like [insert warm body here] but Gibson does have the ability to stay available, which is a plus in his favor and really the only reason he should be considered at all.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Steady and healthy would improve the goaltending. Behind Lyon there was Husso who was on IR I think 3 separate times and got hurt warming up for a conditioning stint and James f'n Reimer.

Why bother with Gibson? Because he's at the level right now where tossing back Husso's deal, some kid, and a 2nd/3rd ought to net him a guy that can stay healthy and probably would get retained down to $4M-ish. I'd greatly prefer to sign a guy like [insert warm body here] but Gibson does have the ability to stay available, which is a plus in his favor and really the only reason he should be considered at all.
Those are all good reasons to acquire Gibson but none of them are good reasons for Verbeek to give him up that cheaply. I hope you understand that from PV's point of view. There is no need to trade him at a discount and Verbeek is exceedingly patient. So it really depends on how badly Yzerman wants Gibson. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the discussion.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Trading a 1st, 2nd and Berggren to dump Husso, Holl and Walman and bring back Gibson is downright horrid asset management for Yzerman.

I feel like Husso, a future 2nd and Berggren for Gibson at $5 million is probably still a bit rich for Detroit, but it at least seems reasonable.

That's because you think you can get good pieces for Jarry. Go away.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Verbeek is not going to trade Gibson without making the team better. Ducks can ride out the rest of Gibson's contract just fine. So if a trade happens it's one that helps both teams, not just one team.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

iago

Apr 2, 2024
Detroit just traded their second best defenseman with a 2nd to San Jose for literally nothing. Detroit also lacks elite talent and goaltending. As of right now Detroit is a worse team than they were at the end of last season. It's made with only 32 million in cap space and 16-20 of that going to Raymond/Seider and 9-12 of that going to Veleno and Ghost and/or Kane Detroit is left with very little space to get up to the minimum roster size.
Detroit did NOT trade their 2nd best defenseman, not their third, or fourth, or fifth. And when Edvinsson came up from Grand Rapids, Walmart became the 7th best defenseman on the team. He was a healthy scratch late in the season, and I'm glad he's gone.

Reactions: Steve91

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Detroit did NOT trade their 2nd best defenseman, not their third, or fourth, or fifth. And when Edvinsson came up from Grand Rapids, Walmart became the 7th best defenseman on the team. He was a healthy scratch late in the season, and I'm glad he's gone.
Who was better than him? All the metrics show he was the best guy not named Mo defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad