Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Though very unlikely, does Zegras somehow get involved in this trade, either part of a larger deal or in a 3 team trade?
Doubtful... Verbeek said Zegras won't be moved for futures and the Ducks biggest need are offense and big, physical defense. No one is going to offer a better offensive player than Zegras and I don't think there are any young, good RHD available.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Taking out the statistical argument because Detroit wouldn't be trading for him if he thought he was as bad as his numbers, I'm still not sure why people would expect Gibson to bring back a notable return with what Ullmark and Markstrom were just traded for.

Ullmark was moved with no salary retention for Korpisalo at $3 million, Kastelic and a 1st. Markstrom was moved at $4.125 million for Bahl and a 1st. Even if you assume Detroit views Gibson as a "good" starter on par with those two (which is bananas to me, but whatever), the return still looks like it would be something like Husso, Berggren and a 2nd for Gibson at $5 million at most. And honestly, that feels like an overpayment by Detroit.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Though very unlikely, does Zegras somehow get involved in this trade, either part of a larger deal or in a 3 team trade?
Probably not since the Ducks are using him in the marketing of their jerseys today, but anything is possible.

If they want to move gibson they will. Even a 25% retained gibson with his last 4 years of GSAx/60 isn’t going to carry much interest
We’ll see. There seems to be more of a market for this goalie than the average NHL fan was expecting.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Taking out the statistical argument because Detroit wouldn't be trading for him if he thought he was as bad as his numbers, I'm still not sure why people would expect Gibson to bring back a notable return with what Ullmark and Markstrom were just traded for.

Ullmark was moved with no salary retention for Korpisalo at $3 million, Kastelic and a 1st. Markstrom was moved at $4.125 million for Bahl and a 1st. Even if you assume Detroit views Gibson as a "good" starter on par with those two (which is bananas to me, but whatever), the return still looks like it would be something like Husso, Berggren and a 2nd for Gibson at $5 million at most. And honestly, that feels like an overpayment by Detroit.
Your agenda is showing again.

Anaheim has no motivation to trade Gibson w/o a reasonably good return. Cap is not an issue and the player hasn't asked for a trade.

Once again, other teams seem to be calling Anaheim and the interest is there. They know what Verbeek's price is and they are still engaged. Will there be a trade? Who knows. But if there is the Ducks will get a solid return.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your agenda is showing again.

Anaheim has no motivation to trade Gibson w/o a reasonably good return. Cap is not an issue and the player hasn't asked for a trade.

Once again, other teams seem to be calling Anaheim and the interest is there. They know what Verbeek's price is and they are still engaged. Will there be a trade? Who knows. But if there is the Ducks will get a solid return.

Pagnotta has reported that the Ducks are actively trying to trade Gibson:

There are 2 teams in on Gibson and the Ducks are apparently trying to move him. Not sure how that's "we won't move him without a good return" territory.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Pagnotta has reported that the Ducks are actively trying to trade Gibson:

There are 2 teams in on Gibson and the Ducks are apparently trying to move him. Not sure how that's "we won't move him without a good return" territory.
What is the motivation for the Ducks to give him away for a subpar return? Bring receipts. I'll wait.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is the motivation for the Ducks to give him away for a subpar return? Bring receipts. I'll wait.

Because maybe they want to move on from him because of his bad results that he has given them in the past 5 years? The dude just had the 2nd lowest save% of NHL goalies who played in more than 25 games last year.

Even if you want to argue that his results in Anaheim aren't reflective of his talent level, it doesn't change that he has given horrid results for the Ducks over the last 5 years. He absolutely collapsed on the team down the stretch (.870 save% in 22 games after January 1st) and has seemingly been surpassed by Dostal. Not only that, but a ton of fans say that he plays mentally checked out of Anaheim and has basically quit on the team.

Why do the Ducks trade him? Because frankly Anaheim is probably better without Gibson than with Gibson at this point. I don't know why you'd want to keep what looks like a toxic situation going just because someone won't overpay you for Gibson. Here's a better question for Ducks fans: why would you want to keep him at this point?

Last edited:

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Marty Biron was on the Power Play with Steve Kouleous. He thinks Gibson gets traded, and that Carolina would be smart to acquire him and move Andersen.

A former NHL goalie thinks highly of Gibson. But sure random spreadsheet jockeys on the internet, tell me more about how much Gibson sucks

2 NHL GMs traded for Matt Murray and all the spreadsheet jockeys said that was a bad idea, including every Pittsburgh fan. But they were GMs so they know better. There was another GM that gave Jeff Finger $14M thinking he was somebody else.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Because maybe they want to move on from him because of his bad results that he has given them in the past 5 years? The dude just had the 2nd lowest save% of NHL goalies who played in more than 25 games last year.

Even if you want to argue that his results in Anaheim aren't reflective of his talent level, it doesn't change that he has given horrid results for the Ducks over the last 5 years. He absolutely collapsed on the team down the stretch (.870 save% in 22 games after January 1st) and has seemingly been surpassed by Dostal. Not only that, but a ton of fans say that he plays mentally checked out of Anaheim and has basically quit on the team.

Why do the Ducks trade him? Because frankly Anaheim is probably better without Gibson than with Gibson at this point. I don't know why you'd want to keep what looks like a toxic situation going just because someone won't overpay you for Gibson.
You got nothing to contribute except your agenda. Sad.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You got nothing to contribute except your agenda. Sad.

Pathetic response, but that's to be expected I guess.

I think it's totally possible that Gibson is still a good goalie and has just been a victim of playing for a bad team. At least based on what I saw, there are a lot of people who say that Gibson's bad results are him checking out from playing for a perpetual rebuilding team and his awful results are due to that. If that's the case, why on earth would any Ducks fan want to keep him?

This idea that the Ducks have no reason to trade him is basically just saying "I don't care if my team wins". Because even if Gibson is actually good and just needs to go to somewhere else, we have a 5 year sample size of data that shows that he's extremely not good on Anaheim.

Literally any Ducks fan, answer that question. Let's go completely independent of whether he's bad or whether he's been sunk by playing for Anaheim. If you know he's being sunk by Anaheim and won't put up good results in Anaheim, why would you want to keep him?

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Think I’ve been pretty clear on analyzing goaltenders, and within let’s say 40 games of Gibson on a competitive team, the both of us can sit here and revisit how he’s been playing on whatever team that may be, and judge how he’s played. I’ll be here to have that conversation.

I’ll always stick to the Grant Fuhr never fail stat of judging a goaltender. Put it this way, if you’re gonna chase stats trying to figure it out, you’re gonna keep landing on Adin Hill and Linus Ullmark being top goaltenders, and keep scratching your head, as you use tenths of a percent to justify your opinion.

Hilariously wrong. And you claim others are ignorant. I know no one who claims Ullmark and Hill are the best goalies in the league based on any stats.

Keep building those strawmen.

By far, the most ridiculous stats to follow (to judge a player) has always been goalie stats. It’s what drives the stat chasers crazy. You can keep crossing your Ts and dotting your Is, and the math doesn’t equal what you’re seeing during games. There’s a reason we praise goalies from winning teams the way we do. We literally get to see them stand on their head in playoff games, for example, or NOT make that important save.

It’s always been the eye test for goalies, and 9 out of 10 times, their actual stats aren’t much different from other starting goaltenders. It’s accepted and they land their contracts, because they make the saves they do, in the most important minutes. It’s literally always been how you judge what a great goaltender is, because there’s no way to justify one save over another UNLESS you’re actually watching.
I know it drives the stat watchers crazy, but that’s always how it’s been done.
You didn't answer my question. I asked you why your opinion is worth more than anyone else with a post in this thread. And you replied with nothing but word salad. I know you have great disdain for that which you don't understand but you've already made that point clear.

In fact I found the post I quoted quite confusing and frankly mildly schizophrenic.

You being with your first paragraph casting asperions on anyone who has an opinion that differs from you, follow that up by making a claim from incredulity, go on to state there's no real baseline for judging goaltenders, and then end with your final paragraph professing you know better than the rest of us.

As far as I can tell you're just another poster on the internet, no different than any of the folks you're criticizing in this thread.

So I ask again, why is your opinion worth more than mine? Because when I watch Gibson I see just another crappy goaltender. So it's your word against mine.

Now what?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think we will get any value back for him but I still think he could be good somewhere else.

I think this is a completely reasonable thought to have.

Personally, Anaheim trading Gibson seems like an "addition by subtraction" move and anything they can get back is gravy. He may be a good goalie once he gets a change of scenery, but is he going to do that in Anaheim? I don't see a reason to think he will, especially if the "he's checked out" comments are true.

Gibson may not be a bad goalie, but I think we know he's a bad goalie for Anaheim. So why keep him?

Reactions: LuGBuG

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Pathetic response, but that's to be expected I guess.

I think it's totally possible that Gibson is still a good goalie and has just been a victim of playing for a bad team. At least based on what I saw, there are a lot of people who say that Gibson's bad results are him checking out from playing for a perpetual rebuilding team and his awful results are due to that. If that's the case, why on earth would any Ducks fan want to keep him?

This idea that the Ducks have no reason to trade him is basically just saying "I don't care if my team wins". Because even if Gibson is actually good and just needs to go to somewhere else, we have a 5 year sample size of data that shows that he's extremely not good on Anaheim.
Your suppositions about Gibson and the Ducks are totally without any factual support. You are sitting 2500 miles away from Anaheim and telling Ducks fans what Verbeek is thinking. It's crazy.

Here's what we do know...teams are talking to Verbeek about Gibson. Those teams know what Verbeek is asking for Gibson. If a team wants him, then they'll have to get reasonably close to that asking price.

Verbeek in his tenure in Anaheim has been known for setting a price and sticking to it until someone meets it. There is zero reason why he would deviate from that pattern now with Gibson.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad