Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Given how hard it is to make it through a season without having two goalies you have near complete trust in, I would absolutely suggest Edmonton should be the other team. A Gibson/Skinner 1A/1B tandem would have gone a long way towards keeping that team fresher, and while Pickard survived his short run in the postseason, having two guys who can just straight up win games probably gets them to the finals in two or three fewer games this year. Might have made all the difference.

Issue is would Anaheim take Campbell back? I also figure Edmonton would have to be adding some decent assets in that deal, I've been vocal about my opinion of Gibson but Campbell is even worse.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Issue is would Anaheim take Campbell back? I also figure Edmonton would have to be adding some decent assets in that deal, I've been vocal about my opinion of Gibson but Campbell is even worse.

Oh, Campbell's absolutely wretched; if he wasn't, this wouldn't even be an issue for them. Edmonton would likely have to pile assets on to make this work for Anaheim, and I'm not a fan of either team, so I don't want to go throwing names around without understanding what might or might not be on the table, but this absolutely involves Anaheim getting full value for Gibson and full value for relieving Edmonton of Campbell, if that's the way they go.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Utah? Why on earth would they need Gibson? Even if they dealt Vejmelka they certainly don’t need a $6.4 million per year backup. Which is what he would be there.

One of the last teams that needs Gibson…

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
So you say the numbers are too flawed to trust, but then advocate for the most subjective form of analysis possible in the eye test.

Out of curiosity what is your experience in coaching/playing the goaltending position that makes you so sure that it's all the Ducks and not Gibson? You must have a pretty impressive resume to just wave away five years worth of data that shows he's a terrible goalie by any accepted metric.
Think I’ve been pretty clear on analyzing goaltenders, and within let’s say 40 games of Gibson on a competitive team, the both of us can sit here and revisit how he’s been playing on whatever team that may be, and judge how he’s played. I’ll be here to have that conversation.

I’ll always stick to the Grant Fuhr never fail stat of judging a goaltender. Put it this way, if you’re gonna chase stats trying to figure it out, you’re gonna keep landing on Adin Hill and Linus Ullmark being top goaltenders, and keep scratching your head, as you use tenths of a percent to justify your opinion.

By far, the most ridiculous stats to follow (to judge a player) has always been goalie stats. It’s what drives the stat chasers crazy. You can keep crossing your Ts and dotting your Is, and the math doesn’t equal what you’re seeing during games. There’s a reason we praise goalies from winning teams the way we do. We literally get to see them stand on their head in playoff games, for example, or NOT make that important save.

It’s always been the eye test for goalies, and 9 out of 10 times, their actual stats aren’t much different from other starting goaltenders. It’s accepted and they land their contracts, because they make the saves they do, in the most important minutes. It’s literally always been how you judge what a great goaltender is, because there’s no way to justify one save over another UNLESS you’re actually watching.

I know it drives the stat watchers crazy, but that’s always how it’s been done.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
'25 1st + Berggren + Husso + Holl for Gibson + McGinn?

Sound alright? Am I way off?
It’s close to what I came up with on the Anaheim board but w/o Berggren and McGinn. Those two just seem to complicate things unnecessarily. The 1st is probably protected if it is a 25 but I could also see it being a 24 1st.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
'25 1st + Berggren + Husso + Holl for Gibson + McGinn?

Sound alright? Am I way off?

Trading a 1st, 2nd and Berggren to dump Husso, Holl and Walman and bring back Gibson is downright horrid asset management for Yzerman.

I feel like Husso, a future 2nd and Berggren for Gibson at $5 million is probably still a bit rich for Detroit, but it at least seems reasonable.

Last edited:

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I have to imagine if it's truly Detroit and Anaheim talking we are looking at a larger trade beyond just Gibson. Yzerman didn't need to move Walman to bring in Gibson. I have a hunch it may include Fowler as well.
We ducks fans would love that..But they just included fowler in the new jersey video.. Doubt that happens now

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Nope. Every year there's a few higher end backups that outperform their starter because of this. Yet apparently that's all Gibson's fault
And every year we get goaltenders like Petr Mrazek or Connor Ingram who play on awful teams who outperform Gibson. Even though according to Ducks fan on here it's literally impossible to put up good numbers on bad teams.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
You are lucky to find a starter for a contract like Gibson has. I think he will be solid on a good team. All the top goalies are looking for 8+ mil and long ass term. Have fun with that. As for the return, I dont really care at this point. A pick, a right shot, and some cap back probably.

Reactions: JKG33

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You are lucky to find a starter for a contract like Gibson has. I think he will be solid on a good team. All the top goalies are looking for 8+ mil and long ass term. Have fun with that. As for the return, I dont really care at this point. A pick, a right shot, and some cap back probably.

Lmao

Gibson is the 6th highest paid goalie in the NHL.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Okay? That doesn't change the fact that he's extremely highly paid for goalie standards.

His contract would be "lucky for a team to find" if he was making like $4 million a year over 3 years.
If a team cant afford a starting goalie for 6 million that is their problem. They are welcome to peruse the bargain bin in free agency.

Reactions: MCB

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I have to imagine if it's truly Detroit and Anaheim talking we are looking at a larger trade beyond just Gibson. Yzerman didn't need to move Walman to bring in Gibson. I have a hunch it may include Fowler as well.
Good, Fowler will enjoy being back home in Michigan and Duck fans will be happy we'll have a LD spot open for Zellweger to not have to play on his offside. Zellweger is 5'10 but he's like 150% less soft than Fowler.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad