An idea to remove the cap advantage for no tax states

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
biggest obstacle is owners dont give a shit. its mostly whiny fans from specific markets
Dudes post stuff like this then start crying when people suggest removing the cap, citing "No fair if you spend more money on your roster than us"

I don't give a shit for the state tax tbh, it's state law and should be respected as it is among all professions in those states. It would be embarrassing IMO for the league to make some sort of change like this. But let's not pretend it isn't a big advantage to have no state tax when it comes to managing your cap.

Reactions: Bust

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Dudes post stuff like this then start crying when people suggest removing the cap, citing "No fair if you spend more money on your roster than us"

I don't give a shit for the state tax tbh, it's state law and should be respected as it is among all professions in those states. It would be embarrassing IMO for the league to make some sort of change like this. But let's not pretend it isn't a big advantage to have no state tax when it comes to managing your cap.
I have never cried about lack of cap. Stop generalizing. The point is no one thinks its a problem except people like you

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeh property taxes and sales tax differences are insignificant compared to income tax differences. Every market will have its pros and cons, no as large as the effects that no taxes has on take home pay and therefore contract values in this League.
You don't think property taxes/sales taxes are higher to counteract a lower income tax??? Illinois has a flat income tax rate of 4.5%, Chicago has a sales tax rate of 11.5% and has a 1.73% property tax rate, the 6th highest in the country.

It's not just income tax that determines how much money someone keeps. This is such an asinine argument and you Canadians really need to let it go. Nothing will change in this regard because it's a f***ing absurd ask.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Didn’t realize HF boards had so many tax experts. I’m definitely not one. But in lieu of expertise, I will take the word of real experts. So why don’t all the tax experts in here, please explain to someone like Alan
Pogroszewski, the founder, president and CEO of AFP Consulting LLC, which specializes in the tax preparation and consulting for pro athletes, that he is wrong when he says “There is a distinct advantage for those teams that are in states with no tax — always,” said Alan Pogroszewski, who has studied and worked with players on tax matters for more than a decade. “There will always be an advantage.”

Someone tell Former Player Agent and GM Brian Burke the same thing.

Someone tell current NHL GM Mike Grier the same thing who also realizes the No tax advantage is a thing.

So what are you proposing
Some teams get 1% more some get 2.5%, some get 3.3% , some get 4.2%, since every state province is different. So there will be 20+ different cap numbers. Then explain how the 50/50 works with that.

How the hell do you manage that.
Yes there’s a tax discrepancy, but until I see a fair method, and no one has come up with one yet, in this forum. (Lots think they have lol). It is what it is.

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Ya that would go over well.

The truth is just like the theory that American players avoid Canada, it has very little effect overall and the fact that people go to such extent to prove it is hilarious (see Reinhart thread)
Players who choose Florida is because both teams are solid franchises and most people (not me) love hot weather year round.

Vancouver is literally team USA, which kind of shits all over the
" Americans hate Canada" theory.

I think it's just another excuse fans of teams from unpopular cities use to avoid the reality of why players don't choose their team.

I will say that the more woke and left Canada sadly gets, the more players from everywhere will think twice.

I mean let's be honest here, majority of NHLers come from the demographic of white Christians with more traditional less extreme beliefs. Because of that I could absolutely see why players seem to be flocking to Southern markets and it just so happens that many of those market's also have less taxes.
Players of course could never openly say that's why they go to those places because as we all know any mention of being conservative these days gets you completely ripped apart and cancelled these days, just like this post will.
Uh oh looks like we're going to need an adjustment to the cap for wokeness

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You don't think property taxes/sales taxes are higher to counteract a lower income tax??? Illinois has a flat income tax rate of 4.5%, Chicago has a sales tax rate of 11.5% and has a 1.73% property tax rate, the 6th highest in the country.

It's not just income tax that determines how much money someone keeps. This is such an asinine argument and you Canadians really need to let it go. Nothing will change in this regard because it's a f***ing absurd ask.
I never said those had zero effects. Just not as significant as Income Taxes. If you really wanted to figure out the totality of tax advantages then add up all 3 numbers and compare league wide. I think you'll find it's a waste of time and you'd see that significant differences come down to Income tax.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I never said those had zero effects. Just not as significant as Income Taxes. If you really wanted to figure out the totality of tax advantages then add up all 3 numbers and compare league wide. I think you'll find it's a waste of time and you'd see that significant differences come down to Income tax.
Go ahead. Show us your results. You saying it doesnt make it so.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Not saying it’s a good idea but pretty simple to fix. Choose the highest tax jurisdiction, then take that from the salaries from all players. For players from lower tax jurisdictions, where there is a difference between the tax paid to state and that taken by the league from their salary, that money can go into hockey revenue / escrow and be redistributed to all players as an even % of their salary.

But like I said not sure if good idea. I mean, who’s going to compensate the he southern US teams when ufas, who were mostly born in Canada and northern US, sign with their hometown teams? Not to mention municipal and property taxes. Where does it end?

• Haha
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So what are you proposing
Some teams get 1% more some get 2.5%, some get 3.3% , some get 4.2%, since every state province is different. So there will be 20+ different cap numbers. Then explain how the 50/50 works with that.

How the hell do you manage that.
Yes there’s a tax discrepancy, but until I see a fair method, and no one has come up with one yet, in this forum. (Lots think they have 😂). It is what it is.
I actually haven't proposed anything. I am merely pointing out the FACT that No Taxes is a significant advantage for the teams that have them. Maybe an expert like Alan Pogroszewski could figure out a way to make this more equitable, it won't be me that figures it out or ANYONE on HFboards I can tell you that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Go ahead. Show us your results. You saying it doesnt make it so.
No. It doesn't, but I'll take the word of Tax Experts, Agents, and GMs over the homers on HF boards that won't admit to the advantage their team has for biased reasons.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How about anyone who complains about a tax disadvantage gets a year in prison?

Links? show me data
Keep up with the thread and you will find them. And I haven't even posted HALF of the opinions that support my view that no income tax have a real, tangible effect on contract values in this League.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Stop with the you Canadians bs, you keep spewing. , be cause of a few posters, there are a lot of Canadians who agree and Americans that there is nothing that can be done. There are American teams that would benefit as well.
At least no one has proposed anything yet to date, that works for players and owners in a CBA, because there are too many variables. Nothing will change.

How many times do you see, someone say you Americans, or you Swedes, or you whatever nationality you want,
make your point, but don’t paint everyone with the same brush.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
sure. you seem believable
Don't believe me. Believe GMs, Agents, and NHL analysts who's spoken publicly about this issue and put their reputations on the line. Believe Alan Pogroszewski, the founder, president and CEO of AFP Consulting LLC, which specializes in the tax preparation and consulting for pro athletes, that says “There is a distinct advantage for those teams that are in states with no tax — always,” said Alan Pogroszewski, who has studied and worked with players on tax matters for more than a decade. “There will always be an advantage.”

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Didn’t realize HF boards had so many tax experts. I’m definitely not one. But in lieu of expertise, I will take the word of real experts. So why don’t all the tax experts in here, please explain to someone like Alan
Pogroszewski, the founder, president and CEO of AFP Consulting LLC, which specializes in the tax preparation and consulting for pro athletes, that he is wrong when he says “There is a distinct advantage for those teams that are in states with no tax — always,” said Alan Pogroszewski, who has studied and worked with players on tax matters for more than a decade. “There will always be an advantage.”

Someone tell Former Player Agent and GM Brian Burke the same thing.

Someone tell current NHL GM Mike Grier the same thing who also realizes the No tax advantage is a thing.

Every market has pros and cons. Fixing this one is about as easy as giving Nashville a beach. Neither are going to happen.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Every market has pros and cons. Fixing this one is about as easy as giving Nashville a beach. Neither are going to happen.
It's not easy to fix. Nor did I say it was. But let's not pretend the advantage doesn't exist.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It can be quantified on a level high enough to affect contract values and it does.

The no taxes exist. That does not need to be proven or not proven. The contract values and therefore effects on winning can also be seen quite easily with just a cursory look at who’s winning in this league. Can be dug into further if you want to look into win percentages. I don’t care enough to look into something I already know exists. If you want to disprove my claim, which you do, then go ahead and disprove it.
That's not true. How many cups did no tax teams win from 2006-2019?
Didn’t realize HF boards had so many tax experts. I’m definitely not one.
No kidding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad