An HF ranking system?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hlinka stats Monday and that is really the start of the international season for us diehard posters on here.

I was thinking what a annual ranking system would look like. Obviously, if there were consistent best on best then I wouldn't care much but we don't have that (yet). Then it becomes a big argument about B squads vs C squads etc.

So I thought I'd see if anyone agrees on a full year system of some sort?

I think it should include:

Hlinka
U18
U20
WC

I'd include Youth Olympics when they are happening. I eliminated WHC because it doesn't have full National Teams as Canada is split into 3.

Am I missing anything? What would be a good points system?

3 points for gold
2 points for silver
1 point for bronze

See which nations have the most points after the World Championships in June?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Using last year:

Hlinka
Canada 3
Czechs 2
Sweden 1

U20
USA 3
Sweden 2
Czechs 1

U18
Canada 3
US 2
Sweden 1

WC
Czechs 3
Swiss 2
Sweden 1

Totals for last season
Canada 6
Czechs 6
Sweden 5
US 5
Swiss 2

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hlinka stats Monday and that is really the start of the international season for us diehard posters on here.

I was thinking what a annual ranking system would look like. Obviously, if there were consistent best on best then I wouldn't care much but we don't have that (yet). Then it becomes a big argument about B squads vs C squads etc.

So I thought I'd see if anyone agrees on a full year system of some sort?

I think it should include:

Hlinka
U18
U20
WC

I'd include Youth Olympics when they are happening. I eliminated WHC because it doesn't have full National Teams as Canada is split into 3.

Am I missing anything? What would be a good points system?

3 points for gold
2 points for silver
1 point for bronze

See which nations have the most points after the World Championships in June?
Probably eliminate WC, lots of NA players aren’t interested in attending after their season ends. So just skews results.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably eliminate WC, lots of NA players aren’t interested in attending after their season ends. So just skews results.
All the tourneys are flawed.

Hlinka doesn't have USNDTP
U20 doesn't have best players as they are in NHL
U18 doesn't have top Canadians as they are in CHL playoffs
WC is always missing top players

The IIHF rankings don't seem to reflect reality. And we don't get a best on best for 2 more years.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
All the tourneys are flawed.

Hlinka doesn't have USNDTP
U20 doesn't have best players as they are in NHL
U18 doesn't have top Canadians as they are in CHL playoffs
WC is always missing top players

The IIHF rankings don't seem to reflect reality. And we don't get a best on best for 2 more years.
Ok

Canada
USA

Then the rest is probably accurate

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No his rankings are just fine. You put USA over czech just cause it your opinion..
No
Try a poll then, USA would beat them. I don’t think anyone would rank the Czechia over the USA,
Even though I’m happy to see they’re getting back to a good hockey nation again, like they once were.

Last edited:

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
No
Try a poll then, USA would beat them. I don’t think anyone would rank the Czechia over the USA,
Even though I’m happy to see their getting back to a good hockey nation again, like they once were.
I know what you mean. But this year alone though I think Czechboy's rankings are good.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No
Even though I’m happy to see they’re getting back to a good hockey nation again, like they once were.
Of course the us are better. But I'm trying to come up with a ranking system based on results and not opinions.

This wasn't a go Czech go thing.lol. Most years in the last decade we have zero points. I imagine Finn's have won this a few times based on those 4 tourneys.

Start if international year so thought it was worth tracking.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
As much as we nerds like the Hlinka, the fact that one federation uses it as a training ground and expressly excludes some of its best players takes away from its utility in determining countries’ success over the year.

I know: another federation doesn’t have access to its top players for the world U18s, because of their league playoffs, but it’s an official world championship, which increases its stature regardless.

Yeah, I’ll be in the minority in this opinion. As a Habs fan, I’m used to not winning, lately.

I thought maybe this thread was ranking HF posters. I am Spartacus.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
As much as we nerds like the Hlinka, the fact that one federation uses it as a training ground and expressly excludes some of its best players takes away from its utility in determining countries’ success over the year.

I know: another federation doesn’t have access to its top players for the world U18s, because of their league playoffs, but it’s an official world championship, which increases its stature regardless.

Yeah, I’ll be in the minority in this opinion. As a Habs fan, I’m used to not winning, lately.

I thought maybe this thread was ranking HF posters. I am Spartacus.
So which ones would you use in the international calendar year?

Also, I can't quite explain it but the Czechs shit the bed every U18.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think points should be distributed to more teams.
Probably 15-11-8-6-4-3-2-1 for top 8.
It's a good point and I thought about it. Thanks. Seems like a good distribution of points vs 3-2-1.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
So which ones would you use in the international calendar year?

Just the official championships. And you have to include the women.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Just the official championships. And you have to include the women.
Funny, we've discussed the Hlinka being included before.lol

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Funny, we've discussed the Hlinka being included before.lol
It’s Deja vu all over again.

I mean, the Hlinka is a fine tournament and you can argue its utility in determine a country’s relative ranking, but it only includes eight teams. But if we’re not ranking Bulgaria and Luxembourg, what are we even doing here?

Reactions: Czechboy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thoutghts on a yearly rank of international hockey?
I think this year I would have it as a tie between Canada and the U.S with Czechs in 2nd place.............going just on tounaments.

I would rank it different if just going on program strength.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think this year I would have it as a tie between Canada and the U.S with Czechs in 2nd place.............going just on tounaments.

I would rank it different if just going on program strength.
What system would you use? Which tourneys? How do you assign points?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
What system would you use? Which tourneys? How do you assign points?
Rankings are vexing at the best of times and with Russia not being around right now it's more troublesome. I have my own ranking based on roster strength from youth to pros while making allowances for tournaments usually not having their top squads and so on that note I'd have Canada and the U.S neck and neck for top spot( though they do need to win something at the senior level but they are well placed to do so very soon but we will see) Sweden would be next for me and then Finland but they need a best on best win to go higher. It's still the Czechs for me in the next spot and a toss up between slovakia/germany and the Swiss...............changes by the year really.

I'll leave Russia out for now because well.........they haven't been playing so I can't rank them. If I was to take a guess though i'd have them fighting Sweden for that spot and who knows.........maybe better? but i cant make that call because of their inactivity

The thing is I think there is a difference between winning a single best on best and being what I like to call the " heavyweight champ" any of those teams can win a best of on the right day in a one game elimination but it's the teams that can win several over the course of a decade or 8 years that really gets the top ranking for me, that's what separates the men from the boys so to speak.

Like from 1998 to 2005 I had the Czechs as the top team for me, that block of time I felt from top to bottom they had the best results, certainly for seniors I think they did.

For me so much is predicated on best on best senior wins, they get a higher point score for that for what I think are obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well.. first.tournament of season done.

Canada 3
Czechs 2
Sweden 1

U20 next.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Russia is out because they are afraid of us. Finland wanted to ban Russia would so they would medal more easily. In Skoda cup mainly.

Finlland's mickey mouse hockey medals are null void because Russia isn't allowed to participate.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00