OT: Amusement Park Discussion

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
So day one of Parktrek 2024 (8/29) went well. Left at 4 AM since I wanted to be south of DC by 6:30. Got to Spotsylvania by 7AM and hit Cracker Barrel for breakfast. That's a must stop on any road trip.

Got to Kings Dominion by 9:30 ooooops find out parking isn't opening until 10:15 due to park opening at 11. Oh well better sitting here with the car off than on the highway in traffic. Crank so tunes and chill out awaiting security to unlock the parking lot. Nice security lady comes and explains the lines that will be open are the ones with the cones tipped over and unlocks the gate. Yep people didn't listen and go to the lines with cones standing.

Park close to the gates and go through security... my battery and ear buds set the metal detector off so I get the second check. But still get to the gates before they let people in.

Gates open and off to Twisted Timbers I go. I love Rocky Mountain Construction hybrid coasters and this one packs serious air time. Great first couple rides of the day. Yes I took 3 laps then decided to move to Project 305. I understand the change came late but what lame temporary name. Get in line and Yep this temperamental coaster decided to say nope not running right now. So I find a Kings Gold Lager by Center of the Universe, the local brewery they use for crafts. Then chill out on some flat rides and find the heat kicking in.

It's almost 1pn so I grab crispy pork and potatoes au gratin from grain and grill which wasn't as good as in the past. I had go back to the car and swap shirts, it was that hot In the park.

Coming back in I left the battery pack in the car as I wasn't using the music since the park was pretty much a walk on up to two cycle wait to any ride.

Go grab a quick lap on Grizzly a wooden coaster that they've been working on over the past couple winters and it's smoother but that end run is still abusive since it's not been shown the love yet.

Time to head back and ride Project 305 since it was open again. Got an insane back row ride as always but the line was growing so i decided to quick turn around for another go wasn't in the plans. Followed this with their two fun launched coasters Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Both are great fun and present rides for smaller kids to ride coasters.

I was getting tired as the day was getting long so i headed over and finished the day on Reptilian, a bobsled coaster that actually gives a great view of the new construction for next year. Then grabbed pasta and meatballs for dinner before calling it a day at 7PM. Due to being worn out from the long day and the heat.

Today is very cloudy and calling for rain at dinner time so I'll probably be headed over to Center of the Universe for some brews after dinner.

20240730_102126.jpg

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So day one of Parktrek 2024 (8/29) went well. Left at 4 AM since I wanted to be south of DC by 6:30. Got to Spotsylvania by 7AM and hit Cracker Barrel for breakfast. That's a must stop on any road trip.

Got to Kings Dominion by 9:30 ooooops find out parking isn't opening until 10:15 due to park opening at 11. Oh well better sitting here with the car off than on the highway in traffic. Crank so tunes and chill out awaiting security to unlock the parking lot. Nice security lady comes and explains the lines that will be open are the ones with the cones tipped over and unlocks the gate. Yep people didn't listen and go to the lines with cones standing.

Park close to the gates and go through security... my battery and ear buds set the metal detector off so I get the second check. But still get to the gates before they let people in.

Gates open and off to Twisted Timbers I go. I love Rocky Mountain Construction hybrid coasters and this one packs serious air time. Great first couple rides of the day. Yes I took 3 laps then decided to move to Project 305. I understand the change came late but what lame temporary name. Get in line and Yep this temperamental coaster decided to say nope not running right now. So I find a Kings Gold Lager by Center of the Universe, the local brewery they use for crafts. Then chill out on some flat rides and find the heat kicking in.

It's almost 1pn so I grab crispy pork and potatoes au gratin from grain and grill which wasn't as good as in the past. I had go back to the car and swap shirts, it was that hot In the park.

Coming back in I left the battery pack in the car as I wasn't using the music since the park was pretty much a walk on up to two cycle wait to any ride.

Go grab a quick lap on Grizzly a wooden coaster that they've been working on over the past couple winters and it's smoother but that end run is still abusive since it's not been shown the love yet.

Time to head back and ride Project 305 since it was open again. Got an insane back row ride as always but the line was growing so i decided to quick turn around for another go wasn't in the plans. Followed this with their two fun launched coasters Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Both are great fun and present rides for smaller kids to ride coasters.

I was getting tired as the day was getting long so i headed over and finished the day on Reptilian, a bobsled coaster that actually gives a great view of the new construction for next year. Then grabbed pasta and meatballs for dinner before calling it a day at 7PM. Due to being worn out from the long day and the heat.

Today is very cloudy and calling for rain at dinner time so I'll probably be headed over to Center of the Universe for some brews after dinner.

View attachment 898006
Sounds like an awesome day. Been the KD once, like 20 years ago at this point, but can remember some of the rides. If I remember correctly, they used to have a volcano themed coaster, but that is now gone.

What are they planning for next year?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Sounds like an awesome day. Been the KD once, like 20 years ago at this point, but can remember some of the rides. If I remember correctly, they used to have a volcano themed coaster, but that is now gone.

What are they planning for next year?
Next year is being announced tomorrow but known to be a launched wing style coaster. It's going where Volcano was.

Obligatory beer picture to draw eyes
20240730_161927.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Next year is being announced tomorrow but known to be a launched wing style coaster. It's going where Volcano was.

Obligatory beer picture to draw eyesView attachment 898094
When did volcano close? Thought it was a while ago

Thought they had a ride called center of the universe but now that I think about it, I think that was a Disney blue sky concept

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
When did volcano close? Thought it was a while ago

Thought they had a ride called center of the universe but now that I think about it, I think that was a Disney blue sky concept
Volcano closed in 2018 per

All you mention was on that space.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Disney is having their big Expo this weekend and tonight is park night:

Indiana Jones and Encanto are going in Animal Kingdom and replacing Dinoland

Monster's Inc Land is going in Hollywood Studios

Carsland, a new ride different from radiator springs at Disneyland, is going in Frontierland in MK

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
After I fell asleep last night, the last announcement of the night was Villainsland coming to MK! They've been kicking this idea arounds for YEARS. Glad to see it's finally, hopefully, going to happen

Reactions: Rebels57

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Anyone go to action park in the 1980s?
Traction Park?
Class Action Park?

Yeah and I still have scars to prove it

Disney is having their big Expo this weekend and tonight is park night:

Indiana Jones and Encanto are going in Animal Kingdom and replacing Dinoland

Monster's Inc Land is going in Hollywood Studios

Carsland, a new ride different from radiator springs at Disneyland, is going in Frontierland in MK
The door vault ride with the suspended coaster has me intrigued.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
This is a shock to about no one who loves amusement parks.

Then I dig deep and really it's number 1. The others are a marine life experience not really what I would call a theme park and a stand alone mountain coaster...

Number 10 on that list is also a great lesser known to outside locals amusement park, Holiday World and Splashing Safari in Santa Claus, IN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyerfan13

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Happy National Roller Coaster Day.

Some announcements made this week
Six Flags New England (Massachusetts)

Six Flags Great America (Chicago)

Ad