Allvin, Nill, Zito finalists for General Manager of the Year Award (winner: Jim Nill)

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Was surprised there wasn't a thread on this. Given the turnaround I'd give it to Allvin, but this is closer than the Jack Adams imo.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Was surprised there wasn't a thread on this. Given the turnaround I'd give it to Allvin, but this is closer than the Jack Adams imo.

It would have to be, the Jack Adams was the biggest landslide on record.

I also think it's Allvin though, he managed to completely revamp the team's defence and bottom 6 in a single offseason. His ability to make trades was awesome to see, there was a point in the year where he was a part of half of all trades that involved NHL skaters.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Nill for me I think.

He’s built a machine with more insanely talented young players in the early stages of their career.
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure they'd give it to him in back to back years?

I think it goes to Allvin based on the turnaround that the Canucks had, and had next to no cap space to work with.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Zito will win based on his never having won, Nill won last year and I think he should go btb due to his breakout young players but I doubt he does. What a hell of a front office man Jimmy Nill turned out to be.

Reactions: Voight

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Zito will win based on his never having won, Nill won last year and I think he should go btb due to his breakout young players but I doubt he does. What a hell of a front office man Jimmy Nill turned out to be.

Allvin has also never won, but he turned a lottery team into a contender in one off season. Zito made the SCF last season.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If this is the equivalent of the Ted Lindsay, but for GMs, voted on by their peers, then it could really go to any of the three.

Would be cool to see Nill win his second in a row, but I wouldn't be surprised if Allvin or Zito win.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If this is the equivalent of the Ted Lindsay, but for GMs, voted on by their peers, then it could really go to any of the three.

Would be cool to see Nill win his second in a row, but I wouldn't be surprised if Allvin or Zito win.
Allvin should win the Calder equivalent for GMs. First full year, and blew the doors away.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It has to be Zito at this point. He could and should have won each of the last few years. It's his turn.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Shocking Zito hasnt won it yet, feels like a Shea Weber situation. Looking at a single year though it should be Alvin. Came in with no cap space and revamped the defense & bottom 6 plus all those trades. Plus the Hronek trade and Tocchet hire but technically those were late last season moves.

Reactions: Laus723

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It has to be Zito at this point. He could and should have won each of the last few years. It's his turn.
Zito has done an amazing job in FLA since arriving in Sept 2020. Who would have guessed that the roster he had then would get to b2b finals in 23 and 24? Some bold moves, but mainly great pro scouting and able to get players who were not at their best with other clubs and get them to play their best with FLA and under 3 different HC as well in Q, Brunette and Maurice.

What Zito has done is why teams don't like to blow up the roster. Core of FLA was Hub, Barkov, Ekblad from 2011/13/14 draft when Zito arrived. Drafts from 2015 onwards didn't exactly load up the Panthers squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad